The Crown Jewel

Gentlemen
I received my Lambda Athena razor a few days ago and it has quite literally blown me away in both looks and performance.
To begin with, I graduated art college a number of years ago. During that time I developed a love for well designed, original works not only in art but engineered products as well. I am a big fan of Art Nouveau and Art Deco among other art forms. I also love Frank Lloyd Wright's "Prairie" architecture which evolved into the "Modernist" architecture in the 50's. Palm Springs is a wonderful place to see a large amount of this style. My Hone SS reminds of this style due to its simplistic, clean style and devotion to purpose without a lot of frills etc.
Now, when I first saw the Athena I knew I had to have one. To me it's drop dead gorgeous in a very Art Deco way. Same with My Smart-Helix and Razorine Flatboy. I contacted Theo Dragonas (the designer and engineer) to ask various questions and to get a better feel for where he was coming from as far as razor design etc was concerned. He very nicely and completely answered all questions and concerns. So I pulled the trigger and now here it is.
The case is a work of art by itself. This is the first display case I have out on the shelf and that's where it will stay. Beautifully made, finished and a fitting case for this razor. The razor itself is, to me, beyond compare with anything else I own or have owned. Highly polished, immaculately finished, extremely well engineered and a joy to hold. The balance is superb, easy to manoeuvre and because of a unique rinsing system fun to use. I know some will say the handle can be slippery but I can always use a towel if I have to. There is no way I will substitute another handle for this razor. That would be like putting ketchup on a prime rib steak. I used a new PolSilver blade and got a 2 pass with a bit of buffing shave. ZERO irritation and very intuitive to use. I employed a fairly steep angle and had some aural feedback throughout the shave. I finished off with some Pierre Cardin aftershave balm and felt like a lottery winner. Just wow.
The razor was 190 euros which included shipping. A BARGAIN! Seriously. Even the wife said it was beautiful. You can get in touch with Theo directly through his email if you want to. This, for me, is truly a grail razor.
IMG_2254.jpegIMG_2255.jpegIMG_2256.jpegIMG_2257.jpegIMG_2258 2.jpegIMG_2259.jpegIMG_2260.jpeg

After a few shaves with this razor I can tell you with certainty, this is not only a work of art but a functional work of art as well. It will work with an experienced blade quite well but it shines with a new one as do so many of our modern razors. I get anywhere from 4-6 shaves per blade and with this razor I can do the entire shave life of the blade and get terrific shaves each time. Admittedly the last few require a pass or two more.

Back
Top Bottom