The best Bolognese sauce?

We all must have Spahgetti Bolognese as one of our favourite things to eat, so i'm obviously thinking we have between us tried every brand there is, now without actually making your own i've settled on my favourite out of all the one's on the market my number one being the Loyd grossman, now what's yours.

Jamie

We never buy any sauce jars as we use recipes we have tweeked for our taste . We always use fresh ingredients except tin toms or Passata which occasionally are replaced for fresh or fresh added. Having two kids 5 & 11, doing it our way it gets eaten which makes it cheaper and healthier. The number one favourite is Pasta, and a sauce made from tomato, spring onions, bacon and chilli flakes.

Just make it...........

those jars of stuff are not good, full of artificial colours, preservative, sweetners eeerrgh

Put some basil olive oil and butter in a pan add chopped onions. and brown a little, then add minced/chopped garlic cook untill you can smell the garlic coming through, don't burn it though as it can taste a bit bitter and not nice

Add some chopped fresh tomatoes, i use Cherry ones as they are naturally sweeter
then also add some chopped Italian Brand tinned tomatoes, Italian Brand Passata, some red wine (optional) , salt and pepper and some ripped shredded basil leaves.

Add the browned Minced beef that has already been cooked and drained to the Sauce, simmer on low for an hour or so until it is all nice and rich and bubbly.

add this to freshly cooked (dried spagetti) don't use the fresh stuff that the supermarkets sell as it's awful, too thick and rubbery !!!

Enjoy with a nice bottle of red wine and some fresh bread to mop up the sauce

followed by something quite tangy like a Lemon Cheesecake etc

if you cook this well then and set a nice romantic table then your wife / girlfriend may already have dessert planned (nudge nudge wink wink :blush::blush::angel:)

Steve

antdad said:
You insult me. Do you think I'd come on here and tell you what my favorite canned cawl is? No sir!!

Well Tony here's your chance to share your home made recipe with us, i'm game and willing to give it a try.

Jamie

Sunburyboy93 said:
Just make it...........

those jars of stuff are not good, full of artificial colours, preservative, sweetners eeerrgh

Put some basil olive oil and butter in a pan add chopped onions. and brown a little, then add minced/chopped garlic cook untill you can smell the garlic coming through, don't burn it though as it can taste a bit bitter and not nice

Add some chopped fresh tomatoes, i use Cherry ones as they are naturally sweeter
then also add some chopped Italian Brand tinned tomatoes, Italian Brand Passata, some red wine (optional) , salt and pepper and some ripped shredded basil leaves.

Add the Minced beef that has already been cooked and drained to the Sauce, simmer on low for an hour or so until it is all nice and rich and bubbly.

add this to freshly cooked (dried spagetti) don't use the fresh stuff that the supermarkets sell as it's awful, too thick and rubbery !!!

Enjoy with a nice bottle of red wine and some fresh bread to mop up the sauce

followed by something quite tangy like a Lemon Cheesecake etc

if you cook this well then and set a nice romantic table then your wife / girlfriend may already have dessert planned (nudge nudge wink wink :blush::blush::angel:)

Steve

Your quite right, cooking from scratch is easy and best. We make our own Pasta now, it's a bit of a chore but well worth it. We also grow a few herbs, they are all easy to grow and don't require loads of care and space. Ciabatta with BalsamicVinegar and A good Olive Oil are a nice accompaniment.

Don't get me wrong we sometimes have some quick and easy oven bake meals. But on the whole we eat pretty healthy stuff.

SWMBO makes a lovely lemon meringue pie, with FOUR lemons, lovely and tangy !

Steve's advice & recipe are sound, for something a little extra try augmenting the recipe by experimenting with a few of these techniques and ingredients.

Cook the onion to a jam but add it to fried celery (de-stringed) and carrot for a sofrito or fried vegetable base.
Try using pork shoulder and or oxtail (heavily brown) and cook for a long time (2-3+ hours or slow cooker overnight) when it's falling apart remove and shred it and return to ragu ( ala pulled pork)
No problem with tinned tomatoes or concentrate especially out of season. (Some much better than others)
A big glug of milk, takes out the excess acidity and mellows the sauce.
Cook the ragu with star anise, perfect accompanyment with tomato, onion and beef, honest. (Heston)
Season with fish sauce or worcester sauce, plenty of pepper. (Heston)
Herbage and wine to taste. Prefer adding white and oaked instead of red.
Try linguine or tagliatelle instead of spaghetti for a change.

I don't always do all of the above, but for a special I will.

yea i have seen episodes of Hestons show "Perfect" with Star Anise and Pork in the recipe....

Just found this on You Tube:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW5p6CAOwdg[/video]

I saw this recipe on a recent Jamie Oliver show:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/meat-recipes/12-hour-rabbit-bolognese

It looks amazing and I can't believe we haven't tried it yet. I'm going to get me some rabbit and give it a go very soon.

I make my own, not eaten a jar in years. I use:

Onion, carrot, celery fried slowly, garlic sweated, a glass of red wine reduced down, then passata and some beef stock. Simmered for at least 30 mins, more if you can.
Add in browned beef and once cooked, torn basil leaves and a mountain of fresh parmesan to complete things.

Georgio Locatelli's recipe from Made in Italy is a great starting point.

http://www.foodbuzz.com/blogs/au/australia/sydney/1955611-rag-alla-bolognese-from-giorgio-locatelli-s-made-in-italy-food-and-stories

I use half minced beef and half minced pork and like Tony says star anise brings it up a level.

antdad said:
Adam, you are going to feed the kids bunnys? That's a tough sell, best not to tell.

Well they're OK with 'baa lamb meat' as we call it, so should be fine. I think they've had their nana's rabbit pie before, complete with bones.

Back
Top Bottom