The 1912- A Truly Fantastic razor

mpf9ret

Supporter
Supporter
Having been lured into the Idea of SE shaving, I purchased a modern plastic handled
Natural Angle Razor. Have had partial shaves with it,initially a bit overzealous, and ended up with sore face. Tried again last week with better results.

Also acquired a !912,and more recently a Shovel Head. To cap it all ,got a Million Dollar
Valet auto stropper. Decided today to try the 1912, backed up by a Progress.

Well what a surprise,did upper lip with Progress, then used 1912 for rest of face.Yes,even the neck against the grain. Very nice comfortable shave.

Verdict, better than more modern version. Now want to persevere a bit, then try the Shovel Head. Maybe try to get hold of a G- Bar.

Any views on how the Valet, might perform compared with the 1912 ?

mpf9ret said:
Having been lured into the Idea of SE shaving, I purchased a modern plastic handled
Natural Angle Razor. Have had partial shaves with it,initially a bit overzealous, and ended up with sore face. Tried again last week with better results.

Also acquired a !912,and more recently a Shovel Head. To cap it all ,got a Million Dollar

Well what a surprise,did upper lip with Progress, then used 1912 for rest of face.Yes,even the neck against the grain. Very nice comfortable shave.

Verdict, better than more modern version. Now want to persevere a bit, then try the Shovel Head. Maybe try to get hold of a G- Bar.

Welcome to the dark side!!!

I love my Valet, it's the VC1 model and IMHO it's almost as good as a 1912!

Hippo said:
mpf9ret said:

Welcome to the dark side!!!

I love my Valet, it's the VC1 model and IMHO it's almost as good as a 1912!

When you shave using the shovel head, you need a slightly different angle.

Welcome to the proper way of safety shaving :D

I'm a seasoned 1912 shaver and find the Shovel Head to be quite aggressive - I guess I am dialled into the angle for the 1912 and just carry on with the Shovel Head, rather than find the correct angle.

Do understand that the plastic handled Natural Angle (or, Featherweight) came with two types of cap - earlier were just like the metal handled Heavy Flat Top (or, G-Bar/Ever Ready equivalent), later had a smaller cap more like the Contour.

1914s are a nice surprise ...

pjgh said:
Welcome to the proper way of safety shaving :D

I'm a seasoned 1912 shaver and find the Shovel Head to be quite aggressive - I guess I am dialled into the angle for the 1912 and just carry on with the Shovel Head, rather than find the correct angle.

Do understand that the plastic handled Natural Angle (or, Featherweight) came with two types of cap - earlier were just like the metal handled Heavy Flat Top (or, G-Bar/Ever Ready equivalent), later had a smaller cap more like the Contour.

1914s are a nice surprise ...

Having purchased some DE razors, since giving up Cartridge Razors in Oct 2013, i had better carry on using them,to justify the cost. I have a Progress, Futur and an EJ 89.

All good to use, will discard blades which are not too brilliant. Consolation is that I did not spend a fortune on one of the Stainless Steel razors around.

Noted your Epee handle concept. Is it in production any where.

Regards
Mike B

Back
Top Bottom