TESCO - misprice on wine - very cheap

Look, I know a couple of you like a glug or 2 of that fermented grape juice stuff so I thought I'd let you into a little secret.

Tesco have their 25% off 6 bottles of wine event running currently (and for the next couple of days) They also have some wines on a 3 for £12 promotion. Now the thing is that their IT people (well some of them) are either not quite up to the job, or they have been drinking too much themselves, and they have introduced a little bug into the system.

What happens is that the following:

I buy 6 bottles Hardys Cab Sauv, Merlot or Chardonnay. List price £6.79 x 6 = £40.74 (yes I know - who would ever buy it at that price?) . Tesco then calculate their 25% discount of £10.19. They then realise that you have bought 2 lots of 3 for £12 wine so they apply the appropriate discount - making the total £24 from which they subtract £10.19 meaning you pay only £13.81 - equivalent to £2.30 per bottle!

Get in quick as it is selling fast.

This works best with wines that had a higher original price. i.e. it is cheaper to buy wines that were originally £6.79 per bottle than it is to buy ones that were £4.99 per bottle.

I wonder if they are legally allowed to cancel orders and refund them.

I ask this simply because this happened to me yesterday on a completely unrelated item.

I followed a link from Martin's Money Saving site to get a cheap pair of glasses for £23. Now for some reason, I unwittingly followed the wrong options for the deal and when I entered the discount code, it actually deducted the entire cost of the specs and left me just £3.99 to pay for P&P.

However shortly afterwards, I was sent an e mail cancelling the order and refunding my Paypal account and was given the correct instructions. I still ordered them, but ended up paying £23 instead.

Contrary to popular understanding a pricing mistake is an invitation to treat, but not a binding contract to sell the item at that price. They're able to cancel all of those orders, as far as I understand.

I've had a rethink on it. If it's their profit margin that they're losing then I don't have a great deal of sympathy. I'm guessing they won't make a terrible loss on it, and at the price it ends up being the people buying it would use the stuff. I've seen pricing mistakes before where people are just evil about it. They act as if they're getting their own back and a large amount of stuff is just wasted - that's just like looting. I don't think that's what's happening here.

In your case, LTB, they made a contract so they cannot cancel.

Re: RE: TESCO - misprice on wine - very cheap

PavlovsDog said:
Lose the beard said:
Can't cancel my wine though, I picked up 20 bottles for £45.00 earlier.

OK, I thought this was an online order. So you actually have the wine in hand?

Result.

The wine is all safely stored in the wine cupboard, apart from the open bottle next to me. :D

Funny enough I was in Tesco earlier... bought 6 tumblers £1 each or 6 for £3... got to the till and it knocked 20% off (£1.20) in a "cookware event" - I called over the gnome and he reversed them all out... and put them through again overriding the price to 50p to get the offer equivalent... then the till knocked a new 20% (60p) off... on top of the original 20%.... so the 6 tumblers cost me £1.20 :D

All this and clubcard points too :)

Both tescos near me have either clocked on or been cleared out! non of the 3 for £12 bottles are on the shelves.

Not for me....only the 25% off for 6.

Press have it, it's over...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/9648905/Tesco-shoppers-get-60-worth-of-wine-for-just-9-after-glitch.html

Back
Top Bottom