taylor of old bond street sandalwood

Hi, I was given a bit of taylor of old bond street sandalwood to try and it's quite good. Is there any other sandalwood that's better? Or do I just buy the Taylor's. Just asking.

I think Taylor's sandalwood is generally considered 'best' of the 3 T's in terms of majority opinion from what I've seen.

The only others I've tried are T&H and Trumper's. Both are great but don't fit the bill for me in terms of what I expect sandalwood to be. T&H slightly fresher and more woody. Trumper's sandalwood is an odd one. It's the closest to Taylor's if you really concentrate on the smell but to me it mostly smells strangely fruity. I use the cologne as a summer fragrance.

I guess the appeal of Taylor's is that it smells very traditional and very slightly soapy. To me it makes me think of a much lighter and less sharp version of Trumper's Spanish Leather.

TOBS sandalwood and art of shaving sandalwood are my two best as I prefer the scents as well as the performance in F these two. IMO it's more of a talc powdery smell with these two as opposed to a pashana incense based sandalwood. Incidentally art of shaving sandalwood balm rocks

Art of Shaving Sandalwood always gets great reviews. I've seen people who have both TOBS & AoS & they always seem to think the latter has by far the best truly sandalwood scent.

Shemen Zait said:
From the few Sandals i tried Simpson's is the closest to the real thing.

Strange that a brush makers has managed to create a cream close to real Sandalwood.

In the grand scheme of things I wouldn't have rated a brush maker anything above 'tin pot' in the making shaving cream stakes.

Hey ho, you lives and learns but if it smells anything like the wood on my wife's sandals you can keep it.

I shaved with ToBS sandalwood tonight, and although I like the scent it always leaves my skin feeling slightly irritated. I used to think it was my shitty technique but I only seem to get this nowadays when I use the ToBS - shame!

I did buy some of Prof Blighty's sandalwood soap for my dad and it smelt very nice indeed. A more mellow scent than the ToBS and less soapy.

I think TOBS makes great shaving creams, and sandalwood is one of the best in my opinion. I have G.F.Trumper and T&H sandalwood they are very good but its double the price and the smell is perhaps less soapy and more on the natural side and weaker but performance is just as good. Proraso Red is great as well so if I need to choose two sandalwood creams from the ones I know, would be TOBS and Proraso red.

Hi, thought I'd give the proraso red a try. I looked on mankind.co.uk and if you buy two proraso products you get a free gift. It's a proraso travel set. Not too bad I thought. Look for discount code. A penny saved and all that. Thanks for the replies gents.

Re: RE: taylor of old bond street sandalwood

zygalski said:
Art of Shaving Sandalwood always gets great reviews. I've seen people who have both TOBS & AoS & they always seem to think the latter has by far the best truly sandalwood scent.
AOS sandalwood is definitely closer to actual sandalwood IMO

Back
Top Bottom