Tabac help

Was just browsing at my local boots and came across the tabac range,looked closely and noticed the aftershave lotion contains alcohol,I used to think it was a balm. So I mean most of us know alcohol is a big no no as it will dry the face out,I was just wondering how strong it is with that alcohol content?will it sting like a bugger?And if it's just as strong as a cologne then what's the point to apply it after shaving?

James_uk said:
Was just browsing at my local boots and came across the tabac range,looked closely and noticed the aftershave lotion contains alcohol,I used to think it was a balm. So I mean most of us know alcohol is a big no no as it will dry the face out,I was just wondering how strong it is with that alcohol content?will it sting like a bugger?And if it's just as strong as a cologne then what's the point to apply it after shaving?

I know alcohol dries the face but I get a masochistic pleasure from the sting. Then I apply balm.

I use a AS splash after a balm. No sting and a nice scent.

Aftershave scents don't last as long as colognes so normally you use both.

For me, my skin is quite oily so these suit.

Professor blighty does a cracking AS splash with witch Hazel. Works a treat.

Also regarding the burn, if you use a balm first, the sting will be a max of a second. I actually quite like it but my shave this morning had no sting which was odd.

I see what you guys are saying but as I understand it we use a balm partly to moisturize,will this not defeat the object when you follow it by using an alcohol based splash?

Yes and no, I leave my balm on for around 10mins before a AS splash.

If I didn't use the splash, it just doesn't feel right! Also smells good too.

Don't get me wrong, I could live without a splash, I just prefer to use one.

Dipesh said:
Yes and no, I leave my balm on for around 10mins before a AS splash.

If I didn't use the splash, it just doesn't feel right! Also smells good too.

Don't get me wrong, I could live without a splash, I just prefer to use one.

Cheers for sharing ideas matey,maybe it'll worth going back and grab one from boots and see how I get on

I would do that. But it takes a while for your skin to see the benefits of it so don't stop using it after 3-4 shaves. Keep it in the routine.

Or wait for the 3 4 2 at boots and get tabac plus a few others?

Dipesh said:
I would do that. But it takes a while for your skin to see the benefits of it so don't stop using it after 3-4 shaves. Keep it in the routine.

Or wait for the 3 4 2 at boots and get tabac plus a few others?

yeah they do these offers pretty regularly don't they,I might as well wait and show up at the right time :cool:

I find an alcohol based splash is best for me, YMMV.

It makes sense that having just scraped some of your skin away splashing a disinfecting liquid on would be a good idea. For me its Alum then alcohol and maybe a balm or moisturiser after if it was a rough shave.

James_uk said:
So I mean most of us know alcohol is a big no no as it will dry the face out

But of course it's an astringent as well, hence why everybody used to splash aftershave on. Jeltz mentions the ansiseptic qualities too and he's right.
So there's no harm in splashing on an aftershave as long as you moisturise as well... a plain unscented one will work (maybe neutrogena) afterwards. That way you're splashing on a scent and keeping the skin hydrated too.

It's not my cup of tea to be honest, I prefer the balms, but everyone's different.

It's odd but I find it better doing a balm followed by a splash.

Most however splash followed by a balm. If I was to do this, the irritation i get from the alcohol is not worth it so I've swapped them around with great effect and no drying of skin afterwards either.

TBH @ £9 it would be worth a punt on Tabac but if its just an alcohol splash you want to try then Aquatonic available from Asda @ £1.25 isn't at all bad. There used to be a Brut Aquatonic but I don't know if its the same stuff.

dipesh,very kind offer,just trying see if I got a bottle that fits this porpuse,jeltz I think you're right with regards to trying an inexpensive splash and see if it's my cup of tea at all,if I go down that route I think my first favoured option would be the bayrum freshwood bottle from boots at £2.49,always had it in mind but was affraid of stinging like mad :shock: ,I think if I apply my balm and leave it for a while and then go for the splash I should be fine

Back
Top Bottom