Swimming

I had fairly severe neck and shoulder pain for about a year which visits to Doctor and physio didn't clear up. A foot injury has stopped me running so I did some gym exercises that didn't seem to be doing me much good. So for the first time in my nearly 70 years I decided to give swimming a proper go. Armed with goggles that pretty well matched my reading glasses at -10.00 and some research on breaststroke technique, videos etc. I've been off for early morning swims for the last 2/3 weeks.

For the first time in a year, the neck pain seems to have gone and even my foot is rapidly improving. I'm really amazed how a simple thing like swimming has had a greater impact than any of the exercises prescribed by my Doctor and physio, neither of whom suggested swimming as a help.

And I'm really enjoying my time in the pool - breakfast on the table when I get in. Highly recommended - if you have been thinking about starting/ returning to swimming, get to it.

It's never too late....

Lot's of folks carry over the poor technique they learnt as a child so it's well worth investing in a few professional coaching sessions too if you are serious.

Only serious from the point of view of getting decent aerobic exercise. I've taught myself most of my sporting life although I did have coaching for cricket, golf and table tennis. I'm happy with my breaststroke technique which I have quickly adapted after studying many of the videos available on the internet.

I'm learning to do the front crawl at the moment. I've taken out some lessons at the council run pool / gym. Very reasonable at £3 for a half hour session, got one tonight at 9 30.

Bloody frustrating trying to learn though!

Back
Top Bottom