Suggestions on a 2nd razor

NotTheStig said:
Bit smoother than the greens I find, which are also a nice blade.

I found it the other way round... hacked my neck up with a yellow and love the greens. But I suspect faulty prep/technique, which can knacker you on any given day.. which is why the yellows will have another try-out soon!

Gairdner said:
They really are that good?

Well, I'm currently a devout GEM user, but when I go to DE - I go to Weber. Point is - all those Feathers, Pils and iKons are probably at least as good, maybe even slightly better, but at three times the price.. Hey, you're a Scott after all, you'll understand ;)

Well for me if I go very gently with the greens and get the angle just right they are smoother. And the yellows start a little rough for the first pass then improve and seem more forgiving. Both are just as sharp.

NotTheStig said:
Well for me if I go very gently with the greens and get the angle just right they are smoother. And the yellows start a little rough for the first pass then improve and seem more forgiving. Both are just as sharp.

To be honest... I tried the yellow in a Tech... was rather beguiled by all that "Techs are very forgiving and mild" stuff and took my eye off the ball. Serves me right and a lesson learned!

Helveticum said:
Gairdner said:
They really are that good?

Well, I'm currently a devout GEM user, but when I go to DE - I go to Weber. Point is - all those Feathers, Pils and iKons are probably at least as good, maybe even slightly better, but at three times the price.. Hey, you're a Scott after all, you'll understand ;)

More enabling! Aye, three times the price goes into the 'stuff that' box for this stingy Scotsman. My good friend Halk has been lusting after a DLC and was disappointed when the latest Weber release were of the polished shiny variety. This suits my preferences much more though. And my big JEC Rocket XL handle would really set off that head but, well, she'll bloody kill me if I hit the button......we need an under the thumb smiley for hen pecked lazy fat blokes. :s

That's why many of us get the stuff delivered to work mate ;) Also if you browse the yankee BSTs, you can catch it half the price if you're lucky! Can't say no to that, surely..

Jeez, you must've passed your enabling degree with honours! And you're waxing lyrical about GEM mm's on another thread.....:angel:

Helveticum said:
That's why many of us get the stuff delivered to work mate ;) Also if you browse the yankee BSTs, you can catch it half the price if you're lucky! Can't say no to that, surely..

I wish I could have stuff delivered to work, it would be so much simpler.

Put a shim in the 34c. A shim is basically a used blade that you snip both cutting edges off with scissors. Doesn't need to be absolutely perfectly straight and yes scissors will go through a blade just fine. Make sure that the shim lies below the the cutting blade and it will increase the blade gap just a smidgen to make the razor slightly more aggressive. I use one all the time in my Jagger 89. Some folk prefer to source a razor that is absolutely perfect for them without needing modifications like shims but its free, easy as 123 to do, doesn't affect the look of or ruin your razor and has been used for generations as an economical way to adjust razors. Doesn't help with the RAD though....

Gairdner said:
Put a shim in the 34c. A shim is basically a used blade that you snip both cutting edges off with scissors. Doesn't need to be absolutely perfectly straight and yes scissors will go through a blade just fine. Make sure that the shim lies below the the cutting blade and it will increase the blade gap just a smidgen to make the razor slightly more aggressive. I use one all the time in my Jagger 89. Some folk prefer to source a razor that is absolutely perfect for them without needing modifications like shims but its free, easy as 123 to do, doesn't affect the look of or ruin your razor and has been used for generations as an economical way to adjust razors. Doesn't help with the RAD though....

great tip, that hadnt seen that before

I might give it a try, too, at some point. I have a Weishi (don't laugh) and that's super-mild. Although I favour milder razors it doesn't get used much as it takes a few more passes than I'd like in most cases. I could at least try the shim idea on it one time and perhaps bring a whole new lease of life to it.

Back
Top Bottom