Strop leather

So I thought I'd show you how my first go at a strop is turning out. It's not finished yet, still have the handle (going to be a turned piece of exotic hardwood) and the bulldog clip at the end to be connected to something. I'm not sure what leather it is, it's called "stallion" from the people I got it from. I don't think it's hat good quality, but was cheap and feels fairly smooth. Doesn't matter too much as it's going to get some crox paste.
It only has brass rod bent into a U - shape to hold the handles and clip. Unsure whether to make them straight, drill a hole brought them and connect the hardware with a matching brass split ring etc.

Any ideas?

Edit: Only went and forgot to upload the bloody photo didn't I?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 37
Yes indeed, Shell cordovan is being made in the UK and has been for some time. Don't believe everything you read on the internet! :)
I did say there was one other place that made shell Cordovan. But that place is Shinki-Hikaku, Y.K. in Kobe, Japan.
As far as I know, all Cordovan in the U.K. comes from either Horween in the U.S. or Comipel in Italy. The Comipel stuff is actually cowhide treated and processed to resemble horsehide.
Confirmation here:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...M5RW8k0JZC_2S8dSg&sig2=-BVwOlYATbPkye8Uk1_mug

Yes they do make Shell in the UK which makes sense really as they produce the worlds finest shoes and boots and saddlery, you can purchase a finished piece of shell for around £100 which would be about 2.5mm thick and measure around 1.5 square foot approximately.

Ok gents. Here is the finished strop. Had a bit of spare bocote and made a dunky shaped handle out of that.

Also spent 3 manic hours yesterday making a jig to hold the 10mm brass rod so I could drill through it.

I'm
Quite eased overall.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    967.7 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom