Straight Razor restoration part 1

Hi, folks I would like to show you and ask your views on a few things regarding my first restoration project of a straight razor, well lets first start with the razor, a Sheffield Kropp 5/8 razor, when I got the razor along with a few other straights it was looking pretty poor, pitting rust plus stains everything you would expect from a 70 or 80 year old unused unloved razor, the scales were also of no use, it was so bad I really didn't ecpect it to come out looking so good, I started with 200 wet & dry, moved up 400, 600, then well used 800 with my own mix which i use for my knives, WD40 mixed with brasso metal polish and 800 wet and dry paper, finally a day later off to my power drill with a buffer attchment and buffing paste, she was begining to look quite attractive, finished the polishing, thank god for that. a few of you know i'm a custom knife collector so sharp things and knife sharpening are something iv'e always done but never on a straight razor, anyway I didn't have that grade of fine stones you need to put that kind of edge on a blade, so I invested in two stones first a 1000, 6000 combo King stone, plus a 8000 King stone, this is where I really enjoyed myself.
This was a lot easier than I expected, must be my years as a Carpenter and knife collector comming together sharpening chisels and knives, I know most of you take your razors further than a 8000 stone, but I didn't want to lay out on three stones in one go, they are not cheap, and I will probably have to eventually get myself a 10,000 or a 12,000 stone, but what I will say after a few passes on the 1000 the straight onto the 6000, then onto the 8000, then I could see this thing was sharp, prepped one side of my cheek it was like a hot knife going through butter, result, well now on to the second question, I have a set of pins I purchased them from the invisible edge, would these be OK to use, I would like your advice on what scales do you think I should use. Please dont be shy, i'm thinking classic black, but I can easily be persuaded to change my mind, and where are the best place to buy them from. I Have seen them on the invisible edge web site, but are there any other suppliers in the UK?

Jamie.

Razorrestoration002.jpg

Razorrestoration003.jpg

Lovely looking razor I have one on the bench looking very similar and I too am wondering what scales to put on mine. They also shave very well, sold my last one and have regretted it ever since.

With regards your questions the pins form the invisible edge will work fine however I make my own from a 1/16th brass rod and some washers I got from microfasterns (flat washers brass, size #0)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.microfasteners.com/index.cfm">http://www.microfasteners.com/index.cfm</a><!-- m -->

This site shows you how to pin the razor

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/i">http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/i</a><!-- m --> ... ng_a_razor

Have a look at the tang because the lettering has been worn away near the pivot point and this may make it not close square into the scales. Hopefully it has been worn away symmetrically and won’t cause you any problems.

Now onto the scales I like making my own from acrylic 3mm thick you can get sheets of it off evil bay for not a lot of money. Use the originals as templates or go as mad as you want and come up with your own design.

Thanks Graham, regarding the lettering, the last P in the letter Kropp wasn't as well stamp even before I started to work on it, so it shouldn't make much difference, I also forgot to mention, I dont own a strop so I used my old leather work belt after I put a edge on it, and then used my well guarded secret on the stropp with Turtle wax safecut, now that really does put a polish on the blade edge.

Cheers Jamie.

Hi, tony dont know if I like wooden scales all that much, thinking very shiny scales what colour? The perfect pair would be high gloss carbon fibre with a weave going through them and red liners and red spacer, but would cost 5 times more than the razor, maybe further down the road commision a custom job for knfe maker Darrel Ralph who also makes the odd razor, can't see me parting with a £1000 though, but who knows maybe ;)

Jamie

I saw one guy say that he cut up old plastic clip boards to make scales, I guess any plastic would be OK.

You can also get patterned acrylic blocks for turning and flat horn blanks on ebay.

Maybe I should return Mrs Kropp back to the scales she was born with black She's no fancy dandy just a good looking northern lass, and not betray her working class roots, and as Lady Gaga said baby she was born this way.

Jamie.

I was thinking of Rosewood you filthy boy, I also thought someone had bought or sold a Revisor with some lovely Rosewood scales recently...

5428111356_3333d09670_z.jpg

but if you are thinking of carbon fibre and go faster spacing's we are not really reading from the same book.

Nice job, Jamie. :D

As regards scales I'd just stick it back in the originals personally, so long as they're decent. Mind you, the world's your oyster if you want make some ... African blackwood or ebony would be my choice either of which will take a finish like glass if you feel the urge. For pins I do exactly the same as Graham.

I just read elsewhere that if you put a blade in new scales its customization not restoration, kind of pimp my blade!

If the scales are re-usable I would, after all they are the same age as the rest of it.

I always put the razors back in the original scales if they can be salvaged.

However I do like making my own and swapping scales around when I need to.

Here is a picture of the Kropp I finished yesterday I really need to do some honing I have about 20 razors on my desk all waiting to be finished.

Attachments

• Picture 2.JPG
    Picture 2.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 29
  • Picture 1.JPG
    Picture 1.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom