Straight razor buying. What to look out for?

I'm looking at buying a straight razor, but don't want to break the bank, so will probably go for something off of everyone's favourite auction site.

What do I need to look out for? I know the pictures don't always tell the full story, but I always stay away from listings with dodgy pics or ones that leave me with questions.

Any advicce would be most appreciated!

If you haven't used a Straight before, I would suggest a Feather straight or a Feather clone(a lot cheaper) with the ProGuard Blades. This way you'll learn the skills needed without having the cost, trouble and 'pain' of a classic straight.
Once you've mastered the skill then go for the classic.

ps... Thee are members here that refurbish and sell classic straights . A good source to go to.

Last edited:
question for every one here.
on most "reputable sites" the least expensive ready to go straight razor, of good make is going to cost at lest 150 dollars.

Always see how the gold dollars are junk unless given extensive honing work. So whos really right?

question for every one here.
on most "reputable sites" the least expensive ready to go straight razor, of good make is going to cost at lest 150 dollars.

Always see how the gold dollars are junk unless given extensive honing work. So whos really right?
Actually a straight razor delivery is partly down to whoever was last to hone the razor. Without getting to deep other factors such as the size, grind and steel all play a factor in determining if you like the razor. The safe bet as others have mentioned above is to start with a cheaper straight to get a feel and understanding then move on up. Similar to anything wet shaving related.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ya you can get some real buys off of that favorite auction site, also there are some razor just not worth buying either. If you find one that takes your liking, save a picture of it,(before auction is over) and post it in this thread, asking what do people think of it, have good pics that the seller took showing blade bevel, scales, whether the blade will clean up to your expectations of a good razor, the more pictures the better, plus questions on it.

Ill still buy off of Ebay but... The spine has to show no or very minimum wear; the blade has to be 5/8 or better and equal in width toe to heal with no chips. And above all it has to be British or German made and 20$ or under.
The 20$ or under is the deal maker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My advice opt for a new Revisor a 6/8 full hollow round point, if you don't get on with the razor you will be able to sell the razor without taking to much of a loss.

This is the advice to follow! I buy razors off the bay, but I'm able to strip, clean and hone them myself. I have limited experience of the Chinese blades, I did get a couple shave ready, but found them to not hold an edge as well as others(English and German), and found the shave actually to be more uncomfortable leading to irritation and some soreness which is never normally so for me. And before some smartarse suggests they were'nt sharp enough, believe me they really were, just inferior quality steel!!

Yes, I've bought Chinese str8s . Brought out one of mine this morning. Believe it was a shave ready from an ebay seller in LasVegas. Yes, it was truly save ready.
My only update was 20~ passes on a 'pasted cotton web strop.'
Nice shave...(but could have been the Derby Shave Cream.)
daec139aef3794da705ff50638e9269d.jpg

Yes, I've bought Chinese str8s . Brought out one of mine this morning. Believe it was a shave ready from an ebay seller in LasVegas. Yes, it was truly save ready.
My only update was 20~ passes on a 'pasted cotton web strop.'
Nice shave...(but could have been the Derby Shave Cream.)
daec139aef3794da705ff50638e9269d.jpg

+ 1..My Gold Dollar is an Excellent Shaver..:D

Billy

Gold Dollars shave well, i don't think there is much wrong with the steel, the finish is a bit rudimentary, but for the price they're ok.
The Chinese use these things, they don't make them for a laugh, probably millions of chinks shave with them!

I notice the eBay seller who does the windrose handles now sells straights. Anyone used one of these? Are they good value like his handles?
I don't Know about those Windrose SRs but I Bought an NOS KROPP 6/8th from them & its a Great Shaver..It is in Mint Condition & has a Very keen Edge..I also sent them an SR to get Honed & I am Delighted with the it..They Certainly Know what they are Doing..That's for Sure..:)

Billy

Back
Top Bottom