Stirling Soaps - How do you lather yours?

I face lather and had trouble with all three of mine (barbershop, black cherry, sandlewood). I have now given them away to a friend who bowl lathers and he reports that he is getting along with them no problem. Im lazy though lol, i'll stick with TOBS lol.

My traditional methods didn't really work for me so I went back to using my testing method which was palm lathering with a fairly dry heavily loaded brush then dumbing the lather into a bowl. Betchet is right in that these soaps don't foam easily, I'm not that surprised given all the added ingredients so I think it's more about creating a cream that is usable.

I'm sensing love being lost for these soaps on here.

I think they are brilliant latherers and I live in hard water area.

A better vid. Dry soap damp brush and decent lather in no time at all.

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/e2NL0_OAALE[/video]

I have most of my soaps in mugs and do them all pretty much the same

antdad said:
My traditional methods didn't really work for me so I went back to using my testing method which was palm lathering with a fairly dry heavily loaded brush then dumbing the lather into a bowl. Betchet is right in that these soaps don't foam easily, I'm not that surprised given all the added ingredients so I think it's more about creating a cream that is usable.

That's a great way of putting it Tony. A cream that is useable.

Al H said:
I'm sensing love being lost for these soaps on here.

I think they are brilliant latherers and I live in hard water area.

A better vid. Dry soap damp brush and decent lather in no time at all.

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/e2NL0_OAALE[/video]

I have most of my soaps in mugs and do them all pretty much the same

Great video. Your lather looks better than mine! Which soap is that?

I partly agree with Carl in that you need to use plenty of product to make a "cream that is usable" but you're not neutralising hard water by using more soap since both are alkaline, that isn't lather forming as such it is mostly creamed soap as Al's video demonstrates to me.

The common experience seems to indicate if you introduce too much water to begin with difficulties arise when trying to scrub off enough soap to form a stable foam, I haven't done it yet but try a few drops of glycerine that should help it along.

Al H said:
Dipesh that's the sheep pine but the best dressed al h is just the same

Cheers Al.

I'll be giving Anise another go this eve. I'm quite looking forward to it.

I'll crack open another one next week I think and see how t performs.

The only one I have tried so far is also the Anise and I haven't had any problems with it so far, although it does take just a little longer. Having soft water here helps. I load with a just slightly damp brush, no more than with most of my other soaps, and then add dribbles of water into the bowl until it starts to work. Haven't tried it for face lathering yet though, but as it does take just that wee bit longer I could see it being a bit of a pain for face lathering. Will maybe give that a go tonight and see how I get on.

Just got round to trying the Black Ice sample (Anise soap and menthol) I have.

Comparing it with the Bay Rum soap I used previously I think it was harder to generate a lather. It took a little longer and the lather did not explode like it did for the Bay Rum. It did however produce a very usable lather and gave excellent results.

The one thing I would say is it was a bit like Ingrams on Black Jack steroids. My face got cooler and cooler as the shave progressed which wasn't a good idea in the cold of my bathroom this morning. This soap will be used on summer days.

Still got a few more to try. Looking forward to the Black Cherry tomorrow.

Anyone else have reviews of their Sterling booty?

ahhh all these discussions about Stirling soap is killing me, are they easy to lather with a badger brush? what about the smells how long do they last after the shave, i read some of the descriptions they seem so much better smells than creams

The experience and reports on Rod's soaps on this forum mirrors almost exactly what has been seen on USA forums.

The distilled wisdom seems to be that some of the soaps lather better than others with the scent ingredients determining the lathering potential. FWIW, the new 'Stirling Spice' lathers very well indeed.

Rod has also reduce the 'superfat' in the latest soaps, so a tendency for soap to be wasted emulsifying residual fats has been reduced.

Scent and its duration is very dependent on the variety. 'Stirling Spice' lasts a good few hours for me but 'Sharp Dressed Man' has a very shortlived and faint scent.

For myself, I would buy again but stick to the varieties I know lather well. The skin care is, I find, excellent.

Back
Top Bottom