Stirling Shaving Soap - Stirling Spice

globalm

Administrator
Staff Member
Supporter
A few weeks ago I was in email correspondence with Rod Stirling regarding an 'Old Spice' flavour of his nice soap. Rod was kind enough to put a full puck in the recent Group Buy box for me to try and give him my views.

I tried this out today and have been most impressed. The soap is excellent. I find the texture and lather superior to a batch of other flavours I had from him a few months ago. I wonder if the formula has changed. If it has it's an improvement.

The scent is excellent. I can only compare it with Old Spice aftershave and cream as I have never owned the original soap. It is dryer than current production OS and nearer to the vintage with less 'baby powder' scent. The strength seems to me to be exactly right. It smells great while shaving and leaves a faint scent residue for 30 minutes or so afterwards.

This is a good Old Spice tribute soap and well worth a go!

RE: Strirling Shaving Soap - Stirling Spice

As its top of the board this may well be the best thread to air my views on the soap
received yesterday from erik.

a very different soap to those ive used before

not hard like a tabac
not a solid cream soap like a prorarso
and not soft like a cella

id say a mixture of a hard and soft soap easily pressed straight away into a mug as its too soft to grate. (i would say its better to press into a bowl rather than trip to fit)
it required slightly more loading than normal but maybe thats my technique

face lathered and it easily produced enough lather for 4 passes.

the lather was thick and creamy and did everything you want from a lather
i used the best dressed man scent and the scent was great whilst shaving but not long lasting after

well worth the money

globalm said:
A few weeks ago I was in email correspondence with Rod Stirling regarding an 'Old Spice' flavour of his nice soap. Rod was kind enough to put a full puck in the recent Group Buy box for me to try and give him my views.

I tried this out today and have been most impressed. The soap is excellent. I find the texture and lather superior to a batch of other flavours I had from him a few months ago. I wonder if the formula has changed. If it has it's an improvement.

The scent is excellent. I can only compare it with Old Spice aftershave and cream as I have never owned the original soap. It is dryer than current production OS and nearer to the vintage with less 'baby powder' scent. The strength seems to me to be exactly right. It smells great while shaving and leaves a faint scent residue for 30 minutes or so afterwards.

This is a good Old Spice tribute soap and well worth a go!

Maybe you could send a little piece to Al H as he has some of the original OS soap.

I'm sure he wouldn't mind doing a comparison and letting Rod and the forum know the result. :)

stan...this seems the result of many from the other shaving place....hope i am wrong, but i declined the group buy based on this...altho it also stated it was dependent on the sccent involved...why i dont know

just gave it a good hard load about 45 secs.

i predominatly face lather but loaded in mug til it resembled the start a bowl lather then i knew i had enough
if it gets too thick i splash the face and add the water this way
seemed to work

olvin, if you see my earlier post in this thread because the actual soap is different to those three it performs sligltly differnt imo. but works the same regardless according to the map shropshire is quite hard water too

I was wondering if anyone would like to try this and would be quite willing to send Al H a bit for a direct comparison.

What's the best way of taking a sample from a cake? Teaspoonful or two in a little ziplock platic bag?

AL H - let me know how to transport and your address and I'll send a lump your way.

Edit - Meant to say. I don't have any lather problems with Stirling soaps but I am in a soft water area.

globalm said:
I was wondering if anyone would like to try this and would be quite willing to send Al H a bit for a direct comparison.

What's the best way of taking a sample from a cake? Teaspoonful or two in a little ziplock platic bag?

AL H - let me know how to transport and your address and I'll send a lump your way.

Edit - Meant to say. I don't have any lather problems with Stirling soaps but I am in a soft water area.

If I'm honest though my old spice soap is good but not much scent, I've tried scent from heaven old spice tribute, the soap is only ok and the scent is good

Whilst a good tribute soap is good, it's a damn shame they stop making the original

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/TfNWaAbYb_M[/video]

Not the greatest vid but a quick lather after soaking soap and brush for 30 secs

Brush was probably too wet too

I live in a "Very-Hard" water area (according to Anglian Water). I find that I need to load the brush either very heavily or multiple times while building lather in a bowl.
I'll load the brush for 30-45 seconds, start to build lather in a bowl, then squeeze out the brush into the bowl and reload from the puck, then back to the bowl.
Rod recommends building lather directly on top of the puck (constant load).
I've never been able to successfully face-lather Stirling soaps.

Strirling Shaving Soap - Stirling Spice

Mr_Smartepants said:
I live in a "Very-Hard" water area (according to Anglian Water). I find that I need to load the brush either very heavily or multiple times while building lather in a bowl.
I'll load the brush for 30-45 seconds, start to build lather in a bowl, then squeeze out the brush into the bowl and reload from the puck, then back to the bowl.

I'm lucky and live in a soft water area. Face lathered just fine earlier, I just needed to load closer to a minute next time.

Re: RE: Strirling Shaving Soap - Stirling Spice

Mr_Smartepants said:

Here is something you to try, soak brush and wet soap then hold brush facing up with soap above it upside down and load it till soaps runs down your arm (dont flick/squeese brush after soaking)

Mr_Smartepants said:

Could you perhaps buy some distilled water purely for lathering and see how that works for you?

Helveticum said:
Sounds great! Would be very interesting to try at some point.

Hi

Just sent some out to Al H.

If you pm me your address I'll pop some in the post for you too.

Had an exchange of emails with Rod today. It seems I was right in my earlier post, the amount ofsuperfat has been reduced in the soap to make lathering easier. Feeling smug now!:icon_biggrin:

He invites any of the forum users of his soaps to contact him at any time ( stirlingsoap@gmail.com ) with any issues or suggestions.

Very nice gentleman and very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom