Step by step scale making

Someone suggested I put up some photos showing how I make scales - Jamie had already shown his manual method so I thought it would make a comparison to show my use of powered tools.

The razor was sent to me by Magnus - it had already been cut down at the heel and toe from the look of it, and Magnus wanted something a bif different.

I started by drawing an outline of the razor designing the scales and cutting the template - here we see the template and black horn that will be used.

At this stage the horn is about 7.5mm thick so I want to take it down to about 3mm eventually. The slab is mounted onto a paddle with double sided tape and put through my drum sander which is attached to a drill press. I aslo have a 'Luthiers Friend attached to the press - this enabled very accurate thcknessing as the upright can be moved towards the drum in tiny increments.

At this stage the blanc is down to sbout 5mm so I switch to a lower (about 200 grit) paper.

Once I'm down to about 3mm the blank is halved lengthways, taped together and than masking tape applied to the front so that the outline can be drawn from the template. At this stage I've already decided front and back based on how the grain runs. With scales if there's any curve in the grain you want it upwards - well I do anyway.

Rough cut on the scroll saw.

Next it was refining the shape on the belt sander - this is where I start hand sanding.

To be continued.

Hand sanding begins with 180 grit through 280, 400, 600. 800 and 1000. This is after 1000

After that, I use a buffing machine with a produvt called Vonax. You will see I drilled the pivot and wedge pin holes - this is done accurately with the blade in place so that I know where the wedge will be.

Next is shaping the wedge - Magnus had sent a piece of Musk Ox Horn. I came up with the idea of using a door wedge to get an accurate shape - doing this by eye is very hit and miss but using the wedge and drum sander is very accurate.

I switched to a different wedge - you can see the shape I'm after.

Here the wedge in place - I sand as near as possible using temporary pins. That allows me to clean the wedge and scales of any accumulated dust before final pinning.

I use 1/16" brass rod and size #0 washers. I like to dome the washers with this bit of kit.

Here's the peeninh process, the rod is cut to length and then peend using the round part of the hammer.

And so this is the assembled scales ready for honing.

pugh-the-special-one said:
That's a nice little tool Rob for taking the thickness down on a blank where did you acquire that from may I ask?
Jamie, there's a site called Stewmac that deals in guitar making equipment and supplies. It's his registered design and the only place I could find that sells them. I'm sure you could knock one up if you get some idea of the design. In the photo, the drum in the drill is one that came from him and the other is a UK make. You can buy spares from him they take a 2" sanding tube and I've managed to find a UK supplier of about that size but a bit tight so I just took a bit off the drum.

Thanks Rob I'll take a gander at that, I have used a industrial Dewalt planer to take a few blanks down when I had access to a carpentry shop once it worked a treat and you can get them all the exactly the same thickness, but I'm not thinking of shelling out £400 on a good bench planer for the occasional blank I would make do by using elbow grease.

Whilst i am a fan of your marvellous work, one of your photos has scared me a little. I am not in the hse brigade but i am a sparky to trade, and one of my pet hates is multi point extension leads, and even worse, those plug in adapters. I have seen several multi points on the verge of starting a fire, and even more of those adapters. Please unplug it and throw it in the bin mate, if i lived closer i would offer to install some extra sockets for free on the condition you chucked it.
Sorry if this sounds like a lecture, not my intention but i have seen the damage they can cause.

Nice scales by the way!

daz said:
Whilst i am a fan of your marvellous work, one of your photos has scared me a little. I am not in the hse brigade but i am a sparky to trade, and one of my pet hates is multi point extension leads, and even worse, those plug in adapters. I have seen several multi points on the verge of starting a fire, and even more of those adapters. Please unplug it and throw it in the bin mate, if i lived closer i would offer to install some extra sockets for free on the condition you chucked it.
Sorry if this sounds like a lecture, not my intention but i have seen the damage they can cause.

Nice scales by the way!

daz is right, seen quite a few that have started to melt,

Thanks for the advice Daz. I must admit that I hadn't considered the fire hazard as I assumed they were pretty safe. I'll take your advice and getting some sockets installed.

Rob you are a awsome guy lol. Thanks for an awsome looking razor and an great step by step WIP.

before shots.

20131021_162513_resized_zpsedcc1cd3.jpg

T2eC16RoFIeVItIBSScqNEZuQ60_58_zpsaaaa3dee.jpg

Back
Top Bottom