Stainless? Really?

Almost all the blades that I use appear to develop signs of corrosion along their edges, spreading into the middle of the blade, even when the blades are sold as 'Stainless' or 'Super Stainless'. How can this be so, surely stainless should contain chrome and thus prevent it from rusting. Something that might bother me is that it's not a wise idea to put rust into any nicks, I believe that's toxic.

Iron oxide isn't toxic, coatings only replace the need for manufacturers to hone/polish a blade edge properly, it should be possible and if I could be bothered I would.

Thanks for the replies. So are the manufacturers coating the DE blades with stainless that's wearing off as I'm using the blade, or is the stainless blade coated in something? I'm slightly confused as I'd have thought a stainless blade would not have shown any signs of rusting.

Stainless steel isn't a coating it's a type of steel so if it bothers you try not to leave the blade clamped up in a damp environment. You might just have a bad batch of course but even so stainless steel can still corrode, there are many types and qualities.

Another reason why I bin after 2 or 3 shaves. For some reason I like a clean looking blade and after 2 shaves there's often a stained ridge where it clamps. But one of these days I will make a blade last a month, just to feel this much discussed elation of making 15 pence last 4 weeks.

I'm not sure why Stainless blades stain Eneville. I'm convinced (others differ) that they don't really rust as such, as I've got stacks of used blades in my glass blade bank in a steamy bathroom and they've never got any more than lightly marked after a year. There's some reaction going on during shaving clearly, but I'm not convinced it's corrosion... more like dirt I'd say.

If I recall correctly there are over 150 grades of stainless steel, some of them are magnetic and some of them are not as stain-free as the name suggests.

The other reason why you are getting signs of corrosion are because you have unlike metals held together in the presence of water. When you have finished shaving take out the blade and dry everything thoroughly.

When I was using a blade more than once, I would take it out of the razor, wash, dry, and dip in Vasoline, put it back into the wrapper and place it on a magnet. (what's real; what's for sale...).
Now I just use a new on each time. Easier, faster, better!

mattlad said:
If I recall correctly there are over 150 grades of stainless steel, some of them are magnetic and some of them are not as stain-free as the name suggests.

The other reason why you are getting signs of corrosion are because you have unlike metals held together in the presence of water. When you have finished shaving take out the blade and dry everything thoroughly.

I'd have thought all would be magnetic, since they're a mixture of carbon and iron (and other metals).

It does make me think I'm being cheated when a 40p 5pack of "Super Stainless" Laser Platinum blades begins to rust though. Gutted.

Could it be that a small part of the each blade is being exposed to water which is chrome free?

Canuck said:
Another reason why I bin after 2 or 3 shaves. For some reason I like a clean looking blade and after 2 shaves there's often a stained ridge where it clamps. But one of these days I will make a blade last a month, just to feel this much discussed elation of making 15 pence last 4 weeks.

I'm not sure why Stainless blades stain Eneville. I'm convinced (others differ) that they don't really rust as such, as I've got stacks of used blades in my glass blade bank in a steamy bathroom and they've never got any more than lightly marked after a year. There's some reaction going on during shaving clearly, but I'm not convinced it's corrosion... more like dirt I'd say.

It could possibly be blood, but I'd have thought that would have come off when I swirled it around in the sink. Perhaps there are other bits of dirt which collect on the face and pores which collect on the blade edge? Maybe it's grease that's holding it to the blade. Me thinks more investigation could be required.

I have noticed that modern-ish Gillettes (Bleue extra nos through to current 7 o'clock ranges) go quite brown on their faces as (presumably) the glue reacts with water. Not rust though.
I recently got a batch of vintage vim blades (old shape de) and these were in their original papers but papers weren't sealed shut. They had all badly corroded around the middle despite apparently not having become wet. 80 years of exposure to varying levels of moisture in the air maybe

Johnus said:
When I was using a blade more than once, I would take it out of the razor, wash, dry, and dip in Vasoline, put it back into the wrapper and place it on a magnet. (what's real; what's for sale...).

Or you could buy Zinc Galvanised Blades, rough and they really do pull, but never go rusty I have been using the same one for 3 years now (which is roughly how long it takes to shave with....)

Father Ted said:
Johnus said:

Or you could buy Zinc Galvanised Blades, rough and they really do pull, but never go rusty I have been using the same one for 3 years now (which is roughly how long it takes to shave with....)

Only 3 years........ :angel:

Father Ted said:
[Or you could buy Zinc Galvanised Blades, rough and they really do pull, but never go rusty I have been using the same one for 3 years now (which is roughly how long it takes to shave with....)

What's doin buddy,

Yeah, back in the day I usta bang lots of galvanised nails. Worked on decks near salt water so those were the way to go lots of times.

I didn't realise there were DE blades with that delighful gray coating, with hopefully the same sorta lovely freeform drips. A delighful choice of blades sir!

Dodgy

It could possibly be blood, but I'd have thought that would have come off when I swirled it around in the sink. Perhaps there are other bits of dirt which collect on the face and pores which collect on the blade edge? Maybe it's grease that's holding it to the blade. Me thinks more investigation could be required.
[/quote]

Blood?

"Once a blade tastes blood it will continue to thurst for more."

More reason to only use them once!!

Johnus said:
"Once a blade tastes blood it will continue to thurst for more."

More reason to only use them once!!

Admittedly that is a guilty habit of mine! If a blade has nipped me, it's in the bin that very day, though it's not happened for months.

I'm guessing Eneville means a virtually invisible trace of blood, maybe from the very surface of the skin... do some tiny capillaries sit that high? Dunno, maybe I'm just talking bollocks again. Don't mind me.

Back
Top Bottom