Spyware! Heads Up!

Hi Guys

Do any of you remember about 10 years ago or so there was a massive influx of Spyware on computers which caused pop up messages to appear on the desktop telling you that you had infections on your computer and were to purchase a companies security software? It then asked for your bank details.

Well just to let you know that this bug/malware has been worked on and has been released onto the web. It is currently able to bypass a lot of anti virus software and in some cases it's locking down peoples computers until they agree to pay money for a piece of software that doesn't exist.

If it happens to you, try to get online and download a program such as Malwarebytes or Spybot which will remove it from your computer. If you can't get online then get a friend to download it for you and get it on your PC (this probably won't affect mac users) as soon as possible.

And.......

Please don't call your ISP and ask about this as it is not their fault and in most cases they can't offer any more help that I have up there.

Cheers, my Mother in law was just saying about this to my wife. Apparently her computer and those of my Sister-in-law and Brother-in-law have been infected by it!

Seriously it's rife.

I had to deal with at least 6 instances of it today and pretty much everyone I work with was mentioning it coming up as a tech support call driving issue.

andyjreid said:
Seriously it's rife.

I had to deal with at least 6 instances of it today and pretty much everyone I work with was mentioning it coming up as a tech support call driving issue.

Yeah but is that not down to there anti virus being from you, and no the best :lol:
If you get it you can go into the task manager and manually run a system restore to a couple days before this should allow you to go on-line and download something to fix it

I found that you need to run Malware bytes or whatever program you chose in "Safe" mode otherwise the Rogue Antispyware will not let you run the program, also some of these rogue programs change your network settings so that your internet traffic is through a Proxy server, and you need to change that back otherwise you can't update malware bytes etc before it scans... ;)

there is more and more of these now, i have sorted loads already this year, all from clicking a simple link in a webpage and a PC not being as secure as it should be, most people just think that one simple AV program is enough, don't thonk about firewalls, or additional security software, rootkit scanners etc

pedro083 said:
andyjreid said:
Seriously it's rife.

Yeah but is that not down to there anti virus being from you, and no the best :lol:
If you get it you can go into the task manager and manually run a system restore to a couple days before this should allow you to go on-line and download something to fix it

With some of these pests (the newer ones), a system restore is not enough, it wont help, as sometimes elements of the program hide in the "WINDOWS" folder and in protected files so system restore does not change them...., you roll back and the pest is rolling back with you.

i find that running Malware bytes in safe mode first, then running hitman pro, followed by Avast (pre-windows boot scan) fixes most things, i use ATF cleaner and CCleaner as well to clear out the remains of what the security tools leave behind

Some are so badly screwed that i have to take the Hard drive out and hook it up externally to a machine with all the security tools on it, then scan the drive to clear it enough that the infected computer can boot into windows properly.

sunburyboy93 said:
pedro083 said:
andyjreid said:
Seriously it's rife.

With some of these pests (the newer ones), a system restore is not enough, it wont help, as sometimes elements of the program hide in the "WINDOWS" folder and in protected files so system restore does not change them...., you roll back and the pest is rolling back with you.

i find that running Malware bytes in safe mode first, then running hitman pro, followed by Avast (pre-windows boot scan) fixes most things, i use ATF cleaner and CCleaner as well to clear out the remains of what the security tools leave behind

I know it will not sort the problem but the one andy is talking about locks you out from seeing any window icons to load or do anything but you can still load the task manger using the shortcut keys. Then after a system restore the virus is still there but not completly locked you out and you can access you computer to download the appropiate software, or run the scans you need to. Cause if you dont have they programmes steve you need to download them and if the malware is stopping you doing it you are kind of stuck

pedro083 said:
andyjreid said:
Seriously it's rife.

Aye because it's me personally that makes it. Wide-o. :lol:

It isn't just affecting customers of who I work for it's supposedly affecting millions of people world wide. As sunbury noted, the system restore will rarely solve this. *edit just saw your post above mine and agree with you*

I don't care though cos I'm alright jack ;)

andyjreid said:
pedro083 said:
andyjreid said:
Seriously it's rife.

Aye because it's me personally that makes it. Wide-o. :lol:

It isn't just affecting customers of who I work for it's supposedly affecting millions of people world wide. As sunbury noted, the system restore will rarely solve this. *edit just saw your post above mine and agree with you*

I don't care though cos I'm alright jack ;)

Well I got that bugger a couple of weeks ago and had to do this thats how I know :oops:

Some time ago my mother in law had her computer rebuilt with fresh Windows XP. About three months down the line it was gummed up again with spyware that just crippled firefox/ie as it was constantly causing disk IO.

Eventually I got involved and installed Ubuntu, there's no issues and the 10mbit internet connection feels more like what you'd expect when browsing the net! My mother in law is a complete non-tech, after seeing how she go on with a live CD and all things like MSN chat and general browsing wasn't any different (although the MSN chat doesn't have adverts like the the Windows version) it was enough to partition and install based on just that. Any significant user experience issues would have resulted in changing grub's default to boot Windows automatically).

A long time ago I stopped using windows because of the plethora of viruses, it seems the problems with generic viruses have shifted to spyware and key loggers. Same old junk.

Of course it doesn't have to be Linux, any UNIX based desktop OS will do, even Apple will do if you have the disposable income to spare on that sort of thing, but Ubuntu probably meets the best of both worlds.

pedro083 said:
I know it will not sort the problem but the one andy is talking about locks you out from seeing any window icons to load or do anything but you can still load the task manger using the shortcut keys. Then after a system restore the virus is still there but not completly locked you out and you can access you computer to download the appropiate software, or run the scans you need to. Cause if you dont have they programmes steve you need to download them and if the malware is stopping you doing it you are kind of stuck

Yeah i didn't think of it like that, as i always bring the infected machines home to deal with i always have a way of getiing the tools needed as well as an internet connection and another PC if needed....

but yeah if it's your one and only PC, then unless you do as you have pointed out above, then you are donald ducked....

Problem is..just cause something says its "spyware"..doesnt mean it is..not ALL programs can translate a simple file to something thats harmless :roll:
I used to work for a very well known computer company and drove around to peoples homes doing computer "things"..with the 1 million spyware/malware/virus detectors..sometimes YOU gotta know whats being mislabeled... :mrgreen:

Hope this helps!
Blades

Blades,

No offence mate but something which installs itself on your computer, creating a pop-up where sole purpose is to try and trick people into giving over their bank details (i.e. the one we are talking about here) is spyware

andyjreid said:
Blades,

No offence mate but something which installs itself on your computer, creating a pop-up where sole purpose is to try and trick people into giving over their bank details (i.e. the one we are talking about here) is spyware

What he said...

Blades, you must have come across these things when you "drove around to peoples homes doing computer "things" ?

Here is a bit of info (this site is quite outdated now..............but you get the idea.. ;)

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_security_software

andyjreid said:
Blades,

That falls into the category of 'malware'. Spyware is the software that (often quietly) intercepts user data, such as cookies or keyboard strokes and sends them back to the eavesdropper.

eneville said:
andyjreid said:
Blades,

That falls into the category of 'malware'. Spyware is the software that (often quietly) intercepts user data, such as cookies or keyboard strokes and sends them back to the eavesdropper.

The rogue antispyware, Rogue Antimalware & Rogue Antivirus are all Malware but also as you could be fooled into enetering Credit card details into it which will be recorded, it has elements of spyware.............regardless....malware or spyware, it can be grouped into what i call........a f*****g pain in the a**e !!!!

Back
Top Bottom