Sprock?

Just won this "Sprock" on Evilbay for £9 inc P&P
$(KGrHqQOKpME3t09uOglBO!34-wySw~~_12.JPG

Initial searches indicate that its a trademark of Friedrich Ern & Co, who I seem to remember have a good reputation.

Anyone have more info on them?

No, sorry, but if it's one of the Ern family that's a good sign in my opinion. Every Ern which has been through my hands was a pleasure to hone, which I tentatively put down to a particularly well judged temper.

Ern made a lot of razors under many different names. So many names that I'm not even sure whether ERN was the parent company or not.

Anyway, all have been fantastic razors. Much better value than DD, but not nearly as sought after. Their scales tend to be plain looking though.

Sprock is listed as a trademark of Friedrich Ern of Solingen Weyer. These guys had more trademarks than you can count. They were at 196 Weyerstrasse in 1939.

Thanks all, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it! I enjoy the anticipation of getting things which had poor descriptions and bad photo's on the bay, its a bit of a gamble but sometimes pays off well.

I think there's a bit of confusion here. The brand is definitely attributed to Friedrich Ern & Co, Solingen-Weyer, Weyerstrasse. They had just over a dozen brand names.

C. Friedrich Ern of Solingen-Wald, Kanalstrasse, is the firm with lots of brand-names - somewhere around 80 of them including Gong, Es-Ex, Ator, Crown & Sword that a lot of us have seen plus some really exotic ones - not Sprock though.

I have no idea of the formation of each company and whether or not they were related, but for the sake of trade law they were two completely different entities.

Ern seems to have been a common name among razor and knife makers: Carl Friedrch Ern, Friedrich Ern, Gustav Emil Ern, C R Ern, August Ern, E Ern & Co, Walter Ern, W C Ern & Co. Probably others, too.

Plain scales? You need to look at a few more Erns!

I have a couple of Sprocks - somewhere! To add to the confusion, I'm sure one of them says "Made In England" on it.

Regards,
Neil

Arrowhead said:
Whoops, my fault I think. :blush:
Not your fault my basis was from this extract (I don't know where from) that I found on SRP

August Ern, Solingen in 1922. Brand name: 'AE'. Open-blade razor maker.

C. Friedrich Ern, Solingen-Wald in 1922, Kanalstrasse 43 in 1939. Brand names:
'America Del Sud', 'Army and Navy', 'Ator', 'A.V. Humboldt', 'Balance', 'Bank', 'Bar',
'Barbersone', 'Barbers Pet', 'Barden', 'Bessimar', 'Bur', 'Cuba', 'Electro Taban', 'Ern',
'Ern 1166', 'Ern A-Z', 'Ern-Blaauwappen', 'Ernette', 'Ern-Goldwappen', 'Ern-
Grünwappen', 'Ern Junior', 'Ernovo', 'Ern-Silberwappen', 'Es-Ex', 'Farwood', 'Flaggen',
'Generale Ameglio,' 'Gong Razor', 'Gorki', 'Janissaire', 'Junk', 'Justrite', 'Ka Ci Be',
'King George', 'Knight Commander of the Bath', 'Kuroki', 'Laborista', 'Le Mondain',
'Lerne', 'Leiste', 'Liliput', 'Little Dorrit', 'Magnetic', 'Master', 'Master of Arts', 'Master
of Science', 'Mickiewicz', 'Moustafa Kemal Pascha', 'Niazi', 'Nodzu', 'Oxama',
'Palmerston', 'Peer', 'Perfecto', 'Persian', 'Platypus', 'Primus', 'Protector', 'Püt',
'Raccoon', 'Roosevelt Razor', 'Schwert', 'S Essex', 'Sim Mart', 'Ski', 'Strandbad',
'Suneo', 'The Boss', 'The Crown And Sword Razor', 'The Kid', 'The Michaelin', 'The
Mussel Razor', 'Turban', 'Waldern', 'Waldoo', 'Wee Macgreggor', 'Zeibek', 'Zepp.'
Open-blade razor maker.

C.R. Ern Sohn Nachf., Solingen-Weyer in 1925. Open-blade razor maker.

Friedrich Ern & Co., Solingen-Weyer in 1925 and 1928, Weyerstrasse 196 in
1939. Brand names: 'Commodus', 'Damokles', 'Doppeladler', 'Ern & Cie', 'Ern & Co.',
F. Ern & Co. Weyer-Solingen', 'Kobold', 'Newton' 'Ost', 'Sprock', 'The Sir Isaac
Newton', 'Vim', 'Weltbrand'. Open-blade razor maker.

W.C. Ern & Co., Solingen, Schlagbaumer Strasse 75. Brand name: 'Hatuey'. Razor-
blade maker.
Ern & Wills, Solingen-Wald, Wittkuller Strasse 154 in 1939. Brand names: 'Ascota',
'Erwil-Gold', 'Erwil-Luxus', 'Gold-Stern', 'Gold-Strom', 'Rheinkrone', 'Ruhr-Gold',
'Sensit', 'Vivat'. Razor-blade maker.
Ern & Ern 'Darsi' Gesellschaft, Solingen-Aufderhöhe, Löhdorferstrasse 133 in 1939.
Safety-razor maker.

Edit: Found the source here http://www.archivingindustry.com/cutlers&toolmakers/razormakers.htm

Well, anyway. I was a bit inattentive there.

The C F Ern list is certainly extensive isn't it? There's scope there for someone with a collector's instincts, definitely. So far I can tick off Crown & Sword, Kuroki and Zepp (the latter is a monster designed for the man with hands like hams); I've also honed Erns and an 1166 for others - all good.

OK so far it would appear that there is a Sprock trademark which belonged to Friedrich Ern & Co., and that they may well not have been the same company as C. Friedrich Ern, I have also found a post online referring to a G Sprock who manufactured Razors which came with instructions on the box which are which were word for word identical to the instructions on Kropp boxes!

Back
Top Bottom