Spring Marathons / Half Marathons

Thanks for the links.

Mentioned this to my kid brother and he told me he has always fancied it, apparently.

"Wild Swim" ordered - and now I'm eyeing up one of those fetching red swimming caps.

I know my Dad and my uncles used to swim across a stretch of the Trent at Stoke Bardolph before their Sunday pint ... in their younger years.

Gents Waterlog by Roger Deakin is also worth a read....different types of environments covered not just lakes and rivers but its an interesting book.

Marathon of the North (Sunderland) April 28th. I did it last year 2 weeks after the London marathon. Not sure I'll try running 2 marathons in 2 weeks again mind...

Just wondering how all you runners / triathletes are getting on now that spring mass participation events have kicked off in earnest. My own half marathon is a week on Sunday and I feel ready for it now. Had barely a drop to drink this year and have been eating very healthily in addition to the seemingly vast mileage I've been clocking up. I'm aiming for 1hr 45mins, which translates to 8 minute mile pace. I think I'm there, and hopefully the pull of the runners and the roar of the crowd will carry me home. My current PB is 1hr 52mins, so that's my dead stop - I must beat that...

Good luck to you all...

Jon

Being doing one 20 mile and two 12 miles a week training runs for a while now, as well as quite a lot of heavy bag routines to build speed and stamina for the Lochaber marathon April 14th followed by the Edinburgh 26th May one. Hoping to beat the 4hrs 6 mins best this time.

joe mcclaine said:
No marathons for me ... they just seem really boring.

Ex-Army mate of mine wants to do some kind of tough-man challenge.

Last year he ran 12 miles over ridiculous obstacles and through mud and freezing water. I think they even set him on fire and hit him with bottles. Took him over 3 hours.

FHM do a similar one in Nottingham so I might give it a look-see.

Also been looking at the Paras10 which is 10 miles with 35lb.

isnt that a glasgow night out:icon_mrgreen:

good luck on your marathon's, ill be sat beer in hand cheering from the sidelines

Well I've now done two half marathons and the weather during both of them was awful - both in March and both in snow!! Anyway, managed to improve my previous time by 5 mins to 1hr 47mins, so pretty pleased. And managed a lovely shave before the run too. I must have been the best smelling male in the race - Bay Rummed up!!

Good luck to all those others out there involved in running events over the next few weeks.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom