Spicy marinade for BBQ and what not.

Here's a marinade that I knocked up recently for a BBQ that turned out to be surprisingly very very good. Levi Roots choke on yer dread.

Jar of scotch bonnet or habanero peppers in brine/vinegar (£1)
Jar of roasted red peppers in brine/vinegar (£1)
Tomato ketchup
Brown sugar
Dried thyme (little & optional)

Keep 1/4 of liquid from both jars and blitz in a processor, add ketchup for body and add sugar & thyme to taste.

Where do you get jars of peppers + chillis for £1? Ethnic supermarket. Scotch Bonnet's not so hot when blitzed and mixed, if not go for habaneros.

Great on meat, period.

Edit: If you leave out the red peppers and add spring onions and plenty thyme you got a basic jerk seasoning but the sweet counter the fire.

Cheers Tony,anyone else got any good ones now the bbq season is upon us :D

:oops: You use all the 2 jars and a 1/4 of the juice from both.. :?

Chili Paste
1 Lemon (and zest)
1 Lime (and zest)
1 orange (and zest)
1/2 green chili, or more to taste (chopped with or without seeds)
5 garlic cloves (finely crushed)
3 tablespoons mild chili powder
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Mix 1/2 teaspoon of each fruit zest and all the juices with other
ingredients. Add more spices if desired. Let stand at least 30 minutes
before using (should thicken).

How about some home-made harissa. I made some using the recipe below last week. I also added one roasted pepper from a jar, reserved the seeds and membranes from the chillis and blitzed some in at the end until I felt the heat was right. Bloody lovely and goes very well with grilled meats. Good in sandwiches, wraps and couscous as well or when you want to pep up a stew or something.

12 fresh red chili peppers, stems and seeds removed (or 24 dried ones, presoaked in hot water for 1 hour and drained)
5 garlic cloves
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt, to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander

Blend the chili peppers, garlic, and olive oil in a food processor until smooth.

Season the harissa paste with salt, cumin, and coriander. Transfer to a jar and top with a layer of olive oil. It'll keep in the fridge for up to 6 weeks.

Yellow Jim said:
How about some home-made harissa. I made some using the recipe below last week. I also added one roasted pepper from a jar, reserved the seeds and membranes from the chillis and blitzed some in at the end until I felt the heat was right. Bloody lovely and goes very well with grilled meats. Good in sandwiches, wraps and couscous as well or when you want to pep up a stew or something.

12 fresh red chili peppers, stems and seeds removed (or 24 dried ones, presoaked in hot water for 1 hour and drained)
5 garlic cloves
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt, to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander

Blend the chili peppers, garlic, and olive oil in a food processor until smooth.

Season the harissa paste with salt, cumin, and coriander. Transfer to a jar and top with a layer of olive oil. It'll keep in the fridge for up to 6 weeks.

Sounds good. :hungrig I've tasted a similar recipe from Australia that they use to marinate kangaroo steaks.

It's known as Rolf Harissa. :? :eek: :evil: :oops: :lol:

slash said:
:oops: You use all the 2 jars and a 1/4 of the juice from both.. :?

Yes, thinking about it again I might have drained the chillis completely and used 1/3 of the liquid from the peppers to loosen the mix in the processor.

Tell the truth I've had this jar of scotch bonnets in the back of the cupboard for ages, too hot for me under normal conditions but when blended with the grilled red peppers and tempered with ketchup and a couple of tablespoons of demerara I was still really expecting it to kill me but most folks loved it especially on bland meat like chicken kebab, it was almost tandor like with some nice char but lovely fresh chilli flavour

Just be sensible, you don't know how potent your chilli's are going to be, make a half batch to start and tailor it to suit your own tastes.

Basic BBQ sauce is Soy + Ketchup + (smoked Hot Paprika + touch of Bourbon if you want to get all Heston)

Back
Top Bottom