SOTD : Saturday 9 July - Friday 15 July 2022.

Razor = Muhle Rocca
Blade = Astra SP
Brush = C&H Locale 1 with V15 Fanchurian
Soap= Wickhams Alpha Noir
with matching balm
Splash = Myrsol Don Miguel
3B6C865C-DE8A-4384-9327-5653A24D65E3.jpegAnother First Class shave with a couple of gripes.
First time use on the Rocca for me and it’s a wonderful razor.
Great feel to it, great weight & well manufactured & designed, to me it’s actually flawless.
My only gripe was self inflicted i read somewhere that the Rocca is fairly aggressive so i went with a Astra SP but for me it’s not aggressive at all,
infact i wish i had went with something with a bit more bite i.e Feather or Kai.
Nevertheless it was a top drawer shave.
My second Gripe is the soap which is another first for me & quite new however for me on a personal note the scent is no where near strong enough.
I know a lot of people prefer this and you can’t please everybody but i like punchy.
The smell however is decent but just not a lot of it.
The performance is unquestionable as you would expect from a Wickhams but what sort of input Alpha have i have no idea.
As stated above it was a first class shave so perhaps i’m being a bit picky when it comes to scent strength.
so much for my Old Spice homage week lol
when new things arrive you just have to try them.
Onwards & Upwards
Stay Safe Boys & Girls

Monday AM 2022-07-11
Babe Ruth played in his first major league baseball game on this date in 1914
Zs0eW8R.jpg

Black Eagle Rhino African Purple Jewel/Flower Beetle LE (25/47)
Floris Elite shaving cream (vintage)
Carbon Mokume-gane Oda
Wilkinson London Bridge (11)
Floris Elite aftershave (vintage)
Fcrk6JR.jpg

A9B0540C-F86B-4684-B72B-E11D19D20B0E.jpeg
SOTD: 11/07/2022

Razor: Rockwell 6s
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless , 3rd use
Brush: Yaqi Freedom Italian Flag 24mm Cashmere
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Lather Bowl Standard Bowl
Preshave: Bart’s Balm Preshave Sample Oil
Soap: Yaqi The Green Puck
Aftershave: Yaqi The Green Aftershave
Balm: Bart's Balm BEN KILBRECK Balm
Additional Care: Seaforth Sea Spiced Lime Aftershave Toner

A super refreshing shave and the splash lasted the day. The 6s will not be leaving the den again, it gives far too good a shave regardless of the plate. I moved up to the 4 plate as I was back at work, and got an effortless, incredibly smooth close shave that’s lasted most the day.
Enjoy the day guys!

Maybe Alpha said "easy on the frag there boy!"
Funny isn't it? I'm like you, I want maximum waft for my pound - it is the scent that makes me want buy more soaps. I get that some prefer subtle or frag free so as not to clash with the splash but for me a fair amount of the value is the smell. Otherwise I could just use Musgo.
Agreed mate.
i’m all for soaps with no scent but having a scent should mean having a scent
i think lol

Monday 11th July

AM-JKLVgcsT2BUzGILQuu6gTZ7PUtk4uiB5pnoeNPy34t7kYaxMQxGYQaqbjVG4kTtkLwlJodSHiIES7RDk9EN-jutiHC5vej5yUKLdSFS9gIqk4HybHcc0Q1IlBaLhvb7OjOOG7ISVAEm01IkSKcw-okR2eHw=w1200

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Tcheon Fung Sing Crema Purissma Per Barba (Green)
DS Cosmetics Professional w/Synbad Synthetic 26mm
Hawk V3 (A Plate) & Feather Professional (1)
Brut Oceans Aftershave

My setup for the week ...

... and a run through my Brut Aftershaves, tonight Brut Oceans which is a lovely marine splash without the sweatiness of Davidoff Cool Water.

Back on the Hawk V3 after a good number of weeks? months? routinely shaving with cartridge format. Smashing shave!

Razor = Muhle Rocca
Blade = Astra SP
Brush = C&H Locale 1 with V15 Fanchurian
Soap= Wickhams Alpha Noir
with matching balm
Splash = Myrsol Don Miguel
View attachment 90383Another First Class shave with a couple of gripes.
First time use on the Rocca for me and it’s a wonderful razor.
Great feel to it, great weight & well manufactured & designed, to me it’s actually flawless.
My only gripe was self inflicted i read somewhere that the Rocca is fairly aggressive so i went with a Astra SP but for me it’s not aggressive at all,
infact i wish i had went with something with a bit more bite i.e Feather or Kai.
Nevertheless it was a top drawer shave.
My second Gripe is the soap which is another first for me & quite new however for me on a personal note the scent is no where near strong enough.
I know a lot of people prefer this and you can’t please everybody but i like punchy.
The smell however is decent but just not a lot of it.
The performance is unquestionable as you would expect from a Wickhams but what sort of input Alpha have i have no idea.
As stated above it was a first class shave so perhaps i’m being a bit picky when it comes to scent strength.
so much for my Old Spice homage week lol
when new things arrive you just have to try them.
Onwards & Upwards
Stay Safe Boys & Girls

I was well impressed by the Rocca earlier in the year when I first acquired a black / steel V3 from ebay. So much so I shaved with it continuously for over two months. I was offline for a bit due to personal circumstances back then so not much featured on SOTD.

I then picked up a Birch V4 from BST ( thanks again @ jphelan81) which I absolutely love. I believe V4 is the latest version.
I don’t know all the differences between Rocca variants from V1 to V4 but between the two I own there are obvious and subtle differences in the top caps and baseplates and in terms of aggression levels the two feel significantly different. The references V3 & V4 were provided to me by the individual sellers and I assume they’re correct.
The V3 is the closest shaving DE razor I’ve used to date and the first to give me an effortless BBS. It has a fair bit of blade feel and although it’s not overly threatening it does feel like it deserves some respect.
The V4 has less of a bite and instantly feels more comfortable. It’s still very, very efficient but to me the aggression has been dialled down compared to it’s predecessor (s). That's not a negative for me and it's still a fantastic shaver.
I intended to sell the V3 when I got the birch but the difference in aggression between them is the sole reason I’ve kept both in my rotation.
All in all both are firm favourites.
I hope you continue to enjoy yours.

Back
Top Bottom