SOTD Saturday 6th June to Friday 12th June 2015

Sunday's shave:

Soap: Arko stick, face lathered.
Brush: Bamboo Synthetic.
Razor: Jagen David B30.
Blade: Rapira Swede #3
Post: Alum, cold rinse, Alcolado/Witch Hazel 3:1 mix, Nivea Balm.

Super smooth shave using my very first DE razor. I bought before joining this forum.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

BSB HMW
RL Safari SS
'Christy/Schick Plus Platinum NOS for one pass and then the 'Kaily'/Gillette Stainless Steel (NOS)
Myrsol Emulsion
Tom Ford 'Amber Absolute' EdP

Second and last time using this goofy Christy, courtesy of Paul's enabling. Sheesh. Man, that thing was just dying to bite me and matter of fact I cut myself way up on my cheekbone of all places. This was the first pass too. My chin didn't appreciate this ball buster either. Heh, no way going ATG, not that I made it that far. Said the hell with it after just starting the XTG pass. Whew, that razor needs some strong technique and tough skin.

Rest of the shave was very nice and finished off with this frag that's pretty intense and fun to wear sometimes. Expensive juice but worth the cash. Just a small amount needed and it lasts forever.

BBS results,

Martin

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Murdock Avalon oil
Soap: Meißner Tremonia - Black Beer No.1 (sample)
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Brush: Mervyn 24mm silvertip
Razor: Schick Injector Dial Adjustable @8
Blade: Personna Injector (2)
After: Floid Black AS, Dove ASB

I've used this Black Beer soap sample for a few days now and I agree with Paul that I can't nail down what the scent is supposed to be - fairly earthy with some lemongrass but very dark and confused, not unpleasant though. The lather is way off the scale though. I only needed a few swirls to load the soap and it created dense, rich, wonderful lather - like Wickham's on steroids. Very protective to the point of pushing away the razor. Excellent performance; the only thing I noticed was it left my skin feeling a little tight which I've only ever experienced with Murdock cream and some NSS. Dose of Dove sorted that out no problem.

Getting BBS shaves now with the Schick Adjustable on max setting of 8. I wonder whether if I used a less protective soap I could crank the adjustment down a notch or two. Will test tomorrow.

Have a great Sunday, folks.

677c4dfd-064b-4d84-b7b8-696d762da0cc_zpsqm9kwrpq.jpg

fancontroller said:
Razor: Schick Injector Dial Adjustable @8
Blade: Personna Injector (2)

Getting BBS shaves now with the Schick Adjustable on max setting of 8. I wonder whether if I used a less protective soap I could crank the adjustment down a notch or two. Will test tomorrow.

Yep, if the soap had less cushion than usual, the razor might cut a little closer on the same settings. More blade contact/less buffer on the face maybe, and the shave may even be louder.

You could also leave the good cushion part alone and instead try using a sharper blade. There are a few that I bump down one number, and probably others that you might prefer over the Personna. Never know till you try a bunch.

Martin

Sunday 7 June 2015

Sunday 7 June 2015

203305d1433683590-sun-june-07th-sat-june-13th-sotd-07062015.jpg

Still traveling with a Mastro Livi Perugia 13.12.14

One of the pleasures of my business travels is to take with me a Mastro Livi straight razor, something I usually do when I do not need to take a plane. This time I brought with me this Mastro Livi Perugia 13.12.14 - a special razoe made for the first meeting in Perugia - and the more I use it the more I like it. Moreover, at each shave it proves to perform better and better: a preliminary pass on Mastro Livi travel loom strop and then hand palm stropping at the beginning of each pass. Also my pre-shave oil proves to perform very well and, although everything can be improved, I am already happy with it while I'm thinking about a couple of changes in the composition to be done at the next batch.​

• Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: De Vergulde Hand
  • Brush: Optim'Hom Synthetic 082 J
  • Bowl: Chinese Cheap Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Perugia 13.12.14, 15/16 Full Hollow, Spanish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

IMG_0836.JPG

Shower w/Bulldog Shower Gel
Meißner Tremonia Dark Limes
Ever Ready 100T w/Muhle 31M50 Knot
Gillette Techmatic & Gillette Band
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Witch Hazel/Selin Toner
Jade East Aftershave
Armani Pour Homme EDT

Face Lathered
Two Pass - WTG & WTG (Slide)

With a design that just smacks of the late '60s and the ingenious reel of blade, if you happen upon a good reel the Gillette Techmatic can be a perfectly good shave. Certainly fun to celebrate the design patent date.

Meißner Tremonia Dark Limes ... need I say more?

Superb!

Decent bike ride in the sun and wind:
https://www.strava.com/activities/320470134

Shower
Tabac
Omega 49
iKon OC DLC on Custom Bulldog
Gillette Super Stainless [1]
Brut AS
Gillette Moisturiser
Cracking shave, few weepers on neck, but that was my fault for pushing it too much. Nice razor the iKon ;)

Sunday

Evening, all.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJDE89
Blade: Derby (2)
Brush: Kabuki Bamboo
Shave cream: Wickham's Sheridan
Aftershave: Caldey Abbey
Cologne: Caldey Abbey

Back
Top Bottom