SOTD: Saturday 6 January - Friday 12 January 2024.

First time trying the Bostonian which I bought myself for Xmas. The pre-shave oil was a present from a relative and really helped with the sickness and slide without interfering with the soap's performance.

This was the last of the soap and it was an excellent performer and is a sad loss to the inventory, but very enjoyable to use.

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Gillette Bostonian (long comb New)
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (Russian)
Brush: Vulfix 404 "The Grosvenor"
Pre-Shave: Wahl Pre-shave oil
Lather: (FINISHED) RazoRock Zi Peppino
Aftershave: Novon Old Marine cologne

Why hello there boys and girls. Today I am delighted to bring you my first two shaves of this new week of SOTD's. These shaves have been passed by the board of censorship for theming things as being suitably entitled, 'Damnation and redemption'

Damnation

20240106_193742.jpg

Damn that razor - Feather AS-D2
A damn fine blade - Polsilver Lodz
I'll be damned (I am anyway) - Yaqi Dandelion
Damn shite soap - M&S Apothecary
Damn the torpedoes - Pure moisturiser

'Damn I thought you wanted to tickle me with a feather not shave with one'

I am usually quite keen on M&S grooming products and their good value approach so when I saw a shaving soap on their shelves I was quite a happy chappy. I am anyway because they make me this way. If I'm not happy they attach electrodes to my...........I am not sure if this makes me happy, but I do smile a lot.

M&S Apothecary. In two words...absolute shite. If you thought Trumpers coconut was bad then this takes bad to a whole new low level. I have never met a soap so absorbed in to the skin so quickly. Dreadful stuff. I would have more success with mild green fairy liquid or household bleach.

The only bit of luck being I used a razor which could be used on dry skin without any irritation, the Feather AS-D2. A razor which does nothing of note, including shave. What is it about these Feathers which make folk rave about them? A razor so mild I am not sure what it is managing to acheive. An R89 leaves it in its wake. At least the trusty Muhle does something and does a damn fine job of whatever it does. The Feather just removes lather which unfortunately on this occasion was also devoid.

Overall one really crap shave.

The only consolation being I have a nice shiny stainless bowl for a puck of decent soap.

Damn it. That's a no no. And so are these...

Thank God the Japanese do produce better female bands than they do shaving implements.

Redemption

20240107_202441.jpg

Redeeming feature - Tatara Nodachi
Shaw Shank Redemption - London Bridge
You will be redeemed, alleluia - Highlander LFC
Redemption stock - Proraso soap
Road to redemption - Proraso balm

'I'll give you redemption. You bugger off damning people and leave me with all these kids'

A total chalk and cheese shave. Not as if I shaved using chalk or cheese (although either might have bettered the M&S soap), but the polar opposite to my previous effort. Bless Tatara's and Proraso. There is a God.

The LFC brush after today's dumping of Arsenal from the FA Cup. The curse is lifted. God bless Montenegro witches and their wonderful brush makers.

Damnation and redemption from the Beaver......

Last edited:
IMG_4135.jpeg
SOTD: 06/01/2024

Razor: Yaqi Excalibur
Blade: Feather Pro Guard, 7th use
Brush: Shedeleven Spalted Scottish Hawthorn AP Shave Co G5C 26mm Fan
Bowl: HC&C Black Straight Wall Bowl
Preshave: Bart’s Balms Lochnagar Oil
Soap: Seaforth! Sea Spiced Lime Puck
Balm: Seaforth! Spice Lime Aftershave Toner Lotion
Fragrance: Seaforth! Sea Spiced Lime Eau de Toilette

IMG_4137.jpeg
SOTD: 07/01/2024

Razor: Yaqi Excalibur
Blade: Feather Pro Guard, 9th use
Brush: Knothead Brush Works 26mm AP Shave Co. Synbad
Bowl: HC&C Black Straight Wall Bowl
Preshave: Bart’s Balms Lochnagar Oil
Soap: HC&C Its New And Not Named But Oh So Nice Puck
Aftershave: TOBS No. 7 Lime Aftershave
Balm: Baxter Of California Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: Afnan Rue Broca Penthouse Ginza EdP

Last edited:
SOTD 08-Jan
20240105_141937-01.jpeg
Brush: C&H 'Eyespot' V18
Soap: HoM Beloved
Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Wizamet

The last week with Tobacco Road and the Vestige was great, I did get some irritation on the neck which was surprising. However I think I went a bit over the top one day and stupidly didn't give it a break.

Ah well, new week, new shave. Decided to dip into my vintage for this week in the form of the slim. Lovely shaver, put it in the low numbers and eased back a bit. Combined with the excellent beloved set lead to a happy shave. The only slight let down is the longevity of the EDP, it's ok but a few hours down the line it is very subtle (though pleasant).

Smooth and smelling good, hope everyone has a good'un.

Cheers

Marc

SOTD: 08/01/2024

Razor: Merkur Futur (clone)
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux, 2nd use
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Bowl: Kikier Ceramic Bowl
Preshave: Proraso Crema Pre Barba con Olio Di Sandalo Cream
Soap: Eufros Premium Tallow Dama De Noche Puck
Balm: Eufros Premium Tallow Dama De Noche Balm
Additional Care: Osma Aluin
Additional Care: Koud Water

Have a nice and save day!

First two shaves of the week,

Sunday 7 January

IMG_0450.jpeg

and today Monday 8 January
IMG_0453.jpeg

I’ve been stretching out blade use to see how far I can get. For some reason the My-Blades that I recently bought haven’t quite lived up to the very first blades that I used which were top class. These latest blades don’t seem quite as keen edged nor do they last more than 3 or 4 shaves. Ah well, back to Gillette et al I guess.
Neither shave was that bad but my face was left a tad irritated afterwards.
Top notch soaps and aftershave though which did make up for it.
Have a great day fellas!

Monday 8th January
Schick G1 - Schick Plus Platinum #8 - DScosmetic T4 Synthetic - Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood - Brut Original AS - Aloe Vera Gel
1000017128-01.jpg

20240107_191919-01.jpeg
My Shave today consisted of...

Prep Hot shower with Signature soaps shower scrub.
Brush Highlander LE2023 Boar.
Soap Mitchell's Wool Fat.
Razors Occam's O.R.E.N & Gillette Raz=r
Blade Feather Pro Super.
Aftershave Jape ( joop knockoff from poundland ).

Today I thought I would yield to the fat after all the talk about it lately.
The O.R.E.N performed superb taking down 2 days growth and the Mitchell's was on top form as well.
Great shave done and set for a great day ahead.
Have a goodun everyone.

First two shaves of the week,

Sunday 7 January

View attachment 115463

and today Monday 8 January
View attachment 115464

I’ve been stretching out blade use to see how far I can get. For some reason the My-Blades that I recently bought haven’t quite lived up to the very first blades that I used which were top class. These latest blades don’t seem quite as keen edged nor do they last more than 3 or 4 shaves. Ah well, back to Gillette et al I guess.
Neither shave was that bad but my face was left a tad irritated afterwards.
Top notch soaps and aftershave though which did make up for it.
Have a great day fellas!
Thank you, best regards Brian

Same sh... different day.
No, don't worry, I mean I used the same gear as yesterday. Swapped out the Phantom Aerolite for the Omega ovangkol wood boar because, aside from matching the colours of the Officina Artigiana soap, it also has a narrower handle so it doesn't bang the glass where the soap is almost gone. This Kai Captain Titan Mild is still going strong after 11 runs! I was going to swap it but I haven't noticed much of a drop off yet. Not quite BBS in the 'corner' of one side of my jaw but I think that's likely my fault rather than the blade as the right side is smooth.

I'll give this 8/10.
20240108_111017.jpg

Back
Top Bottom