SOTD : Saturday 30th March - Friday 5th April. 2019.

This day brought with it the themed shave 'England expects every soap to do its duty

View attachment 42541

Dutiful razor - Ikon SB on an ATT Colossus
Duty blade - Polsilver Lodz
Duteous brush - Razorock 24mm Plissoft
Duty to pay - P&B Trafalgar
Duty free - Nivea for men moisturiser

I have been a non SOTD reporting crew member of recent as I spent a little hiatus from shaving due to a refusal of my skin to behave and take a blade. As it is a sheet of course sandpaper may have been more rewarding and comfortable.

Add to that I managed to Nick my ear when lifting the razor from my sideburns and this managed to cause an awful lot of blood to be produced. Took some 3 or 4 hours to stop and half a roll of toilet paper to assist. All through being less than careful and based on gross stupidity. I was amazed though how much could be loss through what turned out to be the smallest of nicks.

In all a short break was necessary. Pleased to say my attempt to emulate a certain Mr Van Gogh has healed nicely and my hearing remains as deaf as previous.

So this evening saw a return to the blade and what a relief as I was feeling unkempt and needed a lift. Hence bring back the Ikon SB the initiator of the earlier mishap. A change of blade was on the books as I don't feel the Kai is the best match for this razor. Strike up the music and bring on the dancing girls and a return to the P Lodz. What a sensible move.

I have only used the PB Trafalgar (A nice freebie from @Rob998 ) once before and all I can say is that it tends to be quite a water thirsty cream. First impressions were not good as what I thought was a nice thick lather was quite gloopy with a strange sticky consistency about it. A bit like shaving with a pot of glue. Water was the answer. Overall a nice soap with a fresh scent and It did its duty to God and the Queen in a very tidy and dutiful manner.

The brush just got on with its job and performed impeccably. These Razorock 400's really are Monster. I still don't understand this brush thing fully, and especially when so much performance can be had for a mere £23. Not the prettiest of items but exceptionally functional.

It was a really nice return to shaving and two and a bit passes later happy to say my face is as smooth as liver prior to frying. Even happier that my ears remained intact.

Happy bunnyism at this end

Have a wonderful day chaps and may your shaves make equally as many bunnies joyful in the process.

Happy Bunnyism :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thursday 4th April 2019 PM

Pre-shave:- Warm rinse / Proraso Red pre-shave cream
Brush:- Stirling Soap Co. Finest Badger
Soap/Cream:- OSP Orange and Patchouli soap
Razor/Blade:- Claymore V1 / Schick Proline
Post-shave:- Thayers Cucumber / OSP Orange and Patchouli aftershave / Bart's Balm Cinnamon and Patchouli aftershave lotion / Bart's Balm Cinnamon and Patchouli balm

70ac731c4b5c90f9ad6392a8f91b195f.jpg

A great shave this evening. 3 days growth removed without so much as a blemish.

I've actually been holding off shaving as I ordered the OSP soap and aftershave last Friday and I was looking to see how it performed. In one word - flawless.

I've got a couple of OSP creams and I really enjoy using them, they are great performers but the Orange and Patchouli soap is a step above. The scent is zingy, citrusy. The slickness is phenomenal.

I carried out a 3 pass shave. My 1st WTG was actually disappointing at the end as my stubble was still obvious. Giving a light rinse it felt as though nothing had come off. But the mess in the sink told another story.

XTG was a totally different affair. The razor glided effortlessly with so much more being removed.

Finally, an ATG pass removed everything. BBS. Simple.

Cleaning up and slapping in the OSP aftershave has me grinning again. I probably didn't need the Bart's aftershave lotion or balm, but I thought what the heck.

Smooth as glass with really well nourished skin.

I don't know if it's been the extra growth, or the new additions in my den, but what a shave!

Have a great night folks! [emoji1303]

5/4/19

Pre: Pears transparent original soap
Brush: Semogue 620
Soap: OSP Orange & Patchouli
Blade: Astra SP (5)
Razor: Rockwell 6S R3
Post shave: cold water splash, Alum block, homemade Witch Hazel lavender/grapefruit/lime/patchouli astringent,
Balm: E45
Aftershave: Floid SE Mentolado Vigoroso A/S

#5 with the Astra SP, it is now done. 2 gentle passes although I started to feel the blade pulling slightly towards the end. Still BBS calm skin. No issues from Alum block.
A dollop of E45 & a splash of Floid, not sure about this scent yet, may become a work A/S, we will see.
I am now resting the 6S to try another purchase.
The Game Changer and the 6S are about neck & neck at the moment. Top notch.
Have a great night All

Last edited:
That's a lovely find! I reckon they date from the 1950s. @mpf9ret will possibly clarify. This is my one. When I got it, the Sellotape was still intact and you can still smell the lubricant on the Corrux blades. I'm sure it hadn't been used. In fact, there were still minute loose pieces of aluminium in between the grooves of the handle; like it had been made the day before.
View attachment 42563View attachment 42564

Thanks Scotshave & mpf9ret, apparently they were found during the renovation of a long closed chemist/pharmacy shop.
Lucky me. Just need to up my technique & grow a pair. They will be making an appearance in SOTD in the future. It would be a shame to not use them. Not sure about the blades though! :-0

Last edited:
For this day the theme of my shave was 'A monochromatic shave'

With my limited resources for editing photos the best I could dream up was a weak lily livered black and white offering. Please note once again liver being mentioned in my SOTD which is purely coincidental and not due to an obsessive nature.

Monochrome razor - Colonial General
B&W blade - Kai Captain
Paint it black - Razorock 24mm Plissoft
A pale of a whiter shade - PB Trafalgar
Ilford HP5 - Agua De Colonia Barberia EDC

Prior to the invention of colour life must have been quite drab; living in a black and white world as reflected in the early films and photographs. It must have been easy for the decorating business though.

It is also of note that it took until 1927 to invent sound. Before this people lived their lives with dramatic music provided by an orchestra in the background. One can only presume the lower classes struggled in a world of silence being unable to afford the musical accomplishment.

What has all this got to do with shaving? Nothing.

So today's shave was very much like my previous SOTD except for a change of razor and a splash of fragrance.

I seem to have got life down to the few razors which fill my requirements for something to hold sharp wafer thin pieces of steel and remove facial fluff. On this particular occasion my chosen 'something' was the Colonial General.

Where the Ikon wins in the close and accurate stakes the General is a more all round tool. It ticks more boxes and It does so with a speed and efficiency the Ikon can't match.

It is a real shame Colonial appear to have taken a break from producing this mighty fine SE. I do so hope they make a return.

Trafalgar needs water. Lesson learnt from my last outing and a first class show this time around. Well done you PB chaps. And the same to you Razorock people.

Agua Colonia? You deserve to try this EDC whenever you can. What I imagine to be an old school barber shop scent which harks back to the days when we lived in a silent monochromatic world.

An awful lot of piffle and waffle just to arrive at saying, 'one frigging brilliant shave today'.
Clean, smooth and fresh.

An old B&W film clip from those wonderful days past when even ladies enjoyed a good shave and a cigarette at the same time.

May your day be full of colour, sound and enjoyable shaves

Last edited:
Date: 05 April 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Maseto 2 Band Finest Badger Horn 30/54mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Wholly Kaw ~ Cuero Oscuro Special Edition
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB 'C' / Vintage NOS Gillette Stainless #2
Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed with Tea Tree, Lavender & Peppermint / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- Proraso Wood & Spice

Back
Top Bottom