SOTD : Saturday 28th May - Friday 3rd June 2022.

May 30, 2022

• Prep: Face wash
  • Brush: Declaration grooming B11 28mm Snowblivion
  • Razor: Karve CB brass D plate
  • Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
  • Lather: Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary - Soap
  • Post Shave: Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary - Aftershave
Good 2 pass shave- no issues at all! The Karve really did make it into one of my favourite razors... and gillette silver blue just work a treat in them!

Lathergames start soon, so I guess I better get into some kind of routine with the shaving again....

30/05/22
Mug Soap and Mitchells May
Brush - Silver Birch Brushes - Blue Resin
Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor - Colonial General V2
Blade - Feather Pro Guard
Post - Cold water Rinse, TC's infused Witch Hazel
Balm - Baxter's / Argan Oil home mixed Balm
A/S - Pinaud Gents Gin
Wk 22 (3).JPG
Today fitted in the General the Pro-guard Blade is still giving very smooth shaves, with a face full of badger whipping up the MWF, 2 passes was all that was needed for a very nice bit of sink time.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

IMG_1080.jpg

For my last shave of May and I decided to use the Merkur 15C, as I had a Feather blade up for its last use in the bathroom. Pairing a mild razor, even if it’s open comb, with a Feather blade usually works very well, and this shave was another example.

The 15C is a super razor, very nimble, light, easy to get a good angle, mild and yet efficient. Just what I like. It’s often overlooked, living in the shadows of its more famous brothers, the 34C and 37.

Also overlooked is the Captain’s Choice Lime Balm which is also excellent. I have a fair few lime balms, but it performs so well, and smells sweet without being cloying. It compliments the Trumper’s Limes cream which is as good as anything from TOBS.

Stay safe and enjoy your shaves!

Razor: Rex Envoy
Blade: Feather (5)
Soap: Trumper’s Limes
Brush: Semogue Owners Club
Pre-shave: Proraso Green
Post-shave: Captain’s Choice Lime Balm
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Cobalt Blue

Sotd-30-05-22.png

ATT alu Calypso - R plate
Treet Platinum (2)
Simpson Special best
Valobra Fougere
warm water
Manantiales de La Toja
Gotas Frescas Hombre.

I forgot to change down to the mild plate, which I intended to as I only had a day's worth to take off. No matter - this razor is so endlessly forgiving that it wasn't a problem. I am veeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrryyyyyy closely shaved though. :) - cheers - I.

View attachment 88652

ATT alu Calypso - R plate
Treet Platinum (2)
Simpson Special best
Valobra Fougere
warm water
Manantiales de La Toja
Gotas Frescas Hombre.

I forgot to change down to the mild plate, which I intended to as I only had a day's worth to take off. No matter - this razor is so endlessly forgiving that it wasn't a problem. I am veeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrryyyyyy closely shaved though. :) - cheers - I.
Great photo. And the La Toja aftershave, would you mind awfully describing it for the uninitiated like me, please? Scent, performance, that sort of thing. Thanks, old boy.

Monday AM 2022-05-30
Memorial Day
g3Sr3kC.jpg

Declaration Washington B1 (borrowed from a friend)
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet shaving soap (tallow)
Carbon Mokume-gane Oda
Wilkinson Light Brigade (1)
Penhaligon's Racquets Formula aftershave (vintage)
ORGR3TJ.jpg

Is this a new Yaqi head that you are testing out? Or is it something old that I've seemed to have missed?
I just looked and can't see it in their store.
It's new heads from Yaqi. It's great getting the chance to try their new stuff but they never give me any info when they send new things. I couldn't find these on Ali Express either so I don't have anymore info. Mild heads and I couldn't really tell the difference between each one!

Great photo. And the La Toja aftershave, would you mind awfully describing it for the uninitiated like me, please? Scent, performance, that sort of thing. Thanks, old boy.
Cheers. The La Toja is old-school Spanish-style fougere, the usual woody underpinning. Very much a 'heritage' scent. More than that, my nose isn't good enough to discern. Performance-wise much like Williams or Floid but without the menthol. Good luck in finding it, I haven't seen it in years. This version is not the same as the standard La Toja currently available. I think that there is an edt strength version that used to be sold by Gifts and Care in Valencia but I have never tried it. Hope this helps - yours aye - I.

Last edited:
E8EC3546-5B3A-4CD3-A975-389132202E91.jpeg
SOTD: 30/05/2022

Razor: Hone 15s
Blade: Astra SP, 3rd use
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: Bart’s Balm Preshave Sample Oil
Soap: Signature Hibernia Puck
Aftershave: Jean Paul Gautier Le Male EDT
Balm: Bart’s Balm Sample Balm

Just a significant improvement in every way, I’m going to miss the new head on my Hone 15s. One more play tomorrow and I’ll pass it on, but I hope the fix is quick and easy as I can’t wait to use it more regularly.
The @BartsBalm sample b is lovely and I love the scent. It’s a great smooth and softening preshave and which every way he goes consistency wise I’ll be buying yet more Bart’s Balm products!
Have a great day, back from Centre Parcs and now packing caravan for Norfolk tomorrow! Luckily I’ll be catching up with some old friends so hopefully it will be a great relaxing week.

Back
Top Bottom