SOTD : Saturday 27th - Friday 2nd August 2019

Sunday AM 2019-07-28

Moss Anniversary Slate scuttle
Rooney Emillion 1 Porcelain Finest (24/51)
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet shaving soap (tallow)
Wolfman WR1-SB Titanium/UFO Little Titan
Polsilver Super Iridium (11)
Penhaligon's Racquets Formula aftershave (vintage)

A wonderful shave. I prefer the Racquets Formula fragrance over the Blenheim Bouquet, but as far as I know, a Racquets soap was never offered. The BB soap does make great lather. I'm somewhat surprised that the blade is still as sharp as smooth as it is, even at the eleventh shave with it.
A9sAfBf.jpg

Well today I decided I would try an SE for SOTD. I recently got the El Jefe in on an eBay purchase. Beautiful shape and I matched it to a 90mm Special Edition iKon handle. First use of any single edge so I carefully loaded up a Schick ProLine AC blade and made sure everything was in alignment and the guard was forward. El Jefe has the distinct ability to be “adjusted” which is code for extremely deadly if you don't pay attention when loading the blade. No worries.

Soap of the day was Stirling Tuscany which is a lovely scent and a slick soap which I figured I would need with this razor. Let's not leave anything to chance except for everything!

First pass was WTG and boy I had to work the angle to get it to be smooth for me. Granted first pass with a new razor of a different type so I was expecting some work. Second pass XTG and now with the angle sorted it was singing along nicely. Third pass ATG nice and slow to compensate for the width of the blade and done indeed! Smooth as can be! However, I found far more stubble than I am used to over the first two passes which I attribute to my technique alone.

I must say the audible feedback on this razor is nuts...it doesn't make a “cutting” sound it makes a “crunching” sound. I don't know if it cut the stubble or ate it. No matter pretty darn close to BBS was achieved. I have a 10 pack sampler of AC blades to try so I plan on dialling El Jefe in. As far as the name goes? Well there is only one El Jefe in this house and she's out shopping!

Happy Sunday and happy shaves all!

Rating: 4.5 / 5

Razor: iKon El Jefe
Blade: Schick ProLine
Brush: APShave Co. 24mm Silk Smoke
Lather: Stirling Tuscany
Aftershave: Stirling Tuscany
Additional Care:
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense
DBEC564F-54D1-49BE-8345-2DBD19C89E50.jpeg

Head SOTD

Soap: Ariana & Evans Tertius @aegrooming from @ariana_evans_uk

Brush: Giles Shaving Co Ceramic Tuxedo @giles_shaving_co

Razor: RazoRock Old Type with Barber Pole handle @razorock

Blade: Gillette Nacet

Aftershave: Chopin Exclusive Lotion

Very mild but pleasant and effortless shave, I love leather notes in my products, so calming and Ross' brush is still my favourite synthetic in my den.

IMG_6918.JPG

[IMG]

One Pass Shaving Routine...
[IMG]

Hot Water Prep & Massage with Argan Oil
French Pradat Brun Theirs FrameBack 6/8th
French Fitchard Pure Badger
Valobra Tallow Soap
Humphreys Witch Hazel

I Had a One Pass Shave Today with My French Pradat Brun Theirs FrameBack 6/8th..Knocked Down around Ten Days of Whiskers Like Nae Tomorrow..Fantastic Shaver.. :p

I Am Dolphin Smooth & Refreshed..(y)

Billy

SOTD Sunday 28 July 2019.

Pre-shave: Warm shower, Wright's Cold Tar Soap, and cold water splash.
Soap: Essence of Scotland Mountain Yew.
Brush: Shavemac 'The Flat Top'.
Bowl: N/A - face lather,
Razor: Pils 101NE.
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (5).
EDP: Molinard Cuir.

A 'Gentlemans Groom Room SOTD, today. With the exception of the Pils, my shave today was based on products purchased from the Gentleman's Groom, in celebration of the Scottish Shave meet. @Ian T Many thanks for organising and putting this on. I had a great time, and it was good to meet everyone.

A excellent shave this morning; I last shaved on Friday, wanting to see how the Pils coped with a few days growth; excellent shave - 2 passes and I was DFS+/BBS-.

All the best,

Chris

Sotd-28-7-19.jpg

Sotd - Saturday the 28th and Sunday the 29th of July

Yesterday -

Razor - Merkur 37c
blade - Gillette 'Aussie Spoiler' - (6)
brush - AP Shave - silk smoke
soap - Valobra stick - tallow
post - witch hazel
a/s - Lea 'Classic'
balm - De Vergulde Hand.

today -

razor - Merkur 37c
blade - Gillette 'Aussie Spoiler' - (7)
brush - AP Shave - silk smoke
soap - Salter - lavender - tallow
post - witch hazel
a/s - Quorum
balm - BBA
scent - Quorum edt.

Result - all good.

The AP Shave brush is the first synthetic knot I have taken to. Once you get used to the combination of it being extremely springy and very soft at the business end - the amount of water it holds - fun to use - for me - it is best with triple milled soaps - as above - which it lathers with alacrity - I've cut my loading time to compensate. Granted - too much lather is better than too little - am I going to run out of soap any time soon? The vintage Australian blade is just getting to a trot - into its stride - they are the best de blades I have used - a combination of longevity and comfort unequaled for me - I'll keep it in this razor - using it exclusively - for as long as it lasts - I tried this last year - with one in my Mergress - it did 27 shaves - no shit - I'm not making this up - probably could have gone to 30 - but I didn't want to take the piss. I'm late to the party on the Valobra stick front - for such a humble looking thing - it works superbly for me. As somebody noted last week - the price does seem to have gone up quite a lot recently - wait until we get dumped out of Europe. Ha ha. Martin de Candre is expensive to start with. Ha ha. I hope you all enjoy your shaves - yours - I.

@TomG

Last edited:
Sun 28th July

Razorback Syn. 24mm
Arco-Grated Stick
Occams V2
Schick Proline [ 8 ]
Jaguar Prestige A/S Lotion

As off for most of the day, wanted a fuss free experience with good results. Have really and truly broken the rotation with the use of the Occams. This is a late report and I am rather astounded at how little regrowth has returned, a good close Shave with this Razor really lasts.

IMG_0596.jpg

29/07/19
Pre shave Prep: Pears Original Transparent
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2
Soap: Wickham's 1912 Magnum
Razor: Univinlions Kamisori SS Clone
Blade: Kai Titan Pink ( 1)
Post shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, Homemade Bay Rum Witch Hazel
Balm: Bart's Rosemary and Sandalwood balm and lotion
Aftershave: Chanel De Bleu EDP

P7280004.JPG

Another cautious shave today and 1st time outing for the Univinlions Kamisori, a razor I have been really looking forward to using.
I knew the 1912 soap would perform as they are among my favourites, I like the smell of the Magnum and will be adding it to my wish list, the Simpson Synth worked the sample into a lovely scented slick lather, on the chin it went.
I find the razor handle much easier to use than the folders and it will take a bit getting the angle correct, again any advice appreciated. I am using my right hand to shave both sides of the face, changing angles and grip to suit, I don't think I trust my left hand yet. I started with the head of the razor flat to my face and found a decent cutting angle pretty quickly, basically using a ER 1912 technique similar to riding the cap. After yesterday very close shave I was hoping for 1 pass and touch up, which I am happy to say I achieved, Not quite BBS but close.
1st Pass WTG was good although I picked up a graze on my left cheek, no bleeding. I then picked up a tiny cut again on my left cheek just below, otherwise all was good.
2nd pass was basically a touch up pass, I have to admit the best result was around my chin and top lip??:rolleyes: go figure?
I was expecting some indications from the block and I did get a bit :eek:, less than expected though, again left cheek and around the neck. It did not last long, Bart's Balm face medic to the rescue leaving my face soft supple and feeling good, really glad I was put on to this product, thanks @RussellR5555
The Chanel De Bleu EDT is another sample and very nice it is too, woody, citrus and clean fragrance and not too heavy or sweet, could be another wish-lister.
I am declaring today's effort as a success and I did enjoy the experience.shave1.gif
A very acceptable result, no real claret, soft and supple face and smelling really good, Mrs TC has just commented positively on the AS.
Have a great day All

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom