SOTD : Saturday 25th - Friday 31st July 2020.

Monday 27th July

ACtC-3dS4XWiVanm4P6L8VVp1nmDVTYGCYVnFU4vg-JpEO1K7P3wJY_E1rmyQCQLNA5d-CGk5k1gJOoFiaRjtDU6t-9TMY2xBLhzqhBhMNbPehJrNZByzwRZqJoCq_yfw1VTDo1vBXrp4kfSoc7YxG8ok4G6Fw=s1200

Wash with Ach Brito Glyce
Lather up with Barbus Classic & Vie-Long American Style w/Haryali Synthetic 20mm
Shave with Gillette Tech (1950s) USA & Rapira Swedish Supersteel (3)
Single Pass, Hot Rinse & Cold Rinse
Old Spice (Vintage) Aftershave​

27/7/20

Brush - Zenith Euro X
Soap - MWF
Razor - Fat Handle Tech
Blade - Supermax Super Platinum (3)
Post - Witch Hazel
Balm - Nivea Cooling Kick
AS - Benjamins Bay Rum Mentholated

One of those shaves where it didn't work. I think in my 4 years or so of wet shaving, I've only had a few occasions where I needed to start the lather again, for the first attempt I loaded the brush started building the lather then added far too much and had a huge amount of bubbly mess which would not be good enough, so I washed it all off my face and started it again and had a decent lather the 2nd time, but still I think I didn't load enough soap. I'm not going to blame the soap, MWF is a very hard soap and needs more time loading and I seemed to fail at both attempts today!
Onto the shave, the first pass was fine enough but I seemed to feel quite a bit of irritation when I put the lather on for the 2nd pass and seemed to have picked up an ingrown right in the middle of my left cheek, again something that doesn't happen on a regular basis. At the end of the shave my face wasn't feeling great. Ah well, this happens from time to time!

Anyway fellas, have a good start to the week.

Happy birthday Chris. If I wasn't so bloody ugly I would contend your most handsome man claims. But being your birthday I will let you off with your fake idealogy.
Don't you think Chris's comment sounded like exactly the thing Donald Trump would say? Just maybe... but, wait, no! Trump would never believe he was third best looking:rolleyes:;). For a moment their I thought we had an infiltrator!

27/7/20
I'm not going to blame the soap, MWF is a very hard soap and needs more time loading and I seemed to fail at both attempts today!
I don't know if you do this donnie, but with hard soaps I always prime them with very hot water for a minute or two before the shave. If the soap surface is right at the top of the pot I literally sink the whole pot under hot water, but if it's been used so there's a 'bowl' effect in the soap surface, I just cover the top with hot water. I then tip all the water away before loading the brush. I have never had a problem loading any brush with any soap by doing that. After the shave I always rinse the whole pot and soap surface with cold water and let it stand to dry before putting the lid back on.
I hope I'm not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs! If not, I hope it helps(y)

SOTD 27/7/20​

Razor - Gillette King C
Blade - Astra SP (2)
Brush - Chubby 2 Best badger
Bowl- Homemade contraption
Soap- Cella
Post shave- Nivea sensitive balm

Second use of this razor and in my opinion...its worth the money I paid for it but thats it. When I use my Rockwell 6c the following day or think about how it performed the previous day, I realise how much better it is!

2 pass shave with just the one nick that was quickly sorted out with an alum block.

Have a good evening everyone.
DC
20200727_123217-01.jpeg

Leaf and forest ...perfect!

I received a ‘Leaf' razor this afternoon and had a pot of TOBS Royal Forest shaving cream for a few days, so, based on the principle that a leaf should feel at home in a forest, here's my shave:
  • Pre-shave wash with Ach Brito Classic Glyce soap
  • Taylor's Royal Forest shaving cream, bowl lathered - Very nice fresh scent, usual TOBS lather and cushion
  • Phoenix AA Peregrino synthetic
  • Leaf razor (silver) - Gillette Nacet, split and set in top and middle trays
  • Cold water rinse, alum rub, and final cold rinse
  • La Toja AS splash - very nice after the Royal Forest
  • George F. Trumper's Sandalwood Skin Food (as a balm, 30 minutes after the shave)

DSC_0905.JPG

The Leaf razor is essentially the bastard child of a 1912 and a Mach 3. It has the charm and character of traditional SE and DE razors, combined with the cutting edge (pun intended) of a 'Skunkworks' design project. It's a steampunk razor that seems infinitely adjustable via blade settings, blade choice, and swivel head.

Using the Leaf seemed much closer to using a SE or DE than a cartridge razor, largely due to the fact that I was working with standard DE blades and I had to fit them into the razor. No doubt, in future iterations they will produce a two-piece, allowing for swapping handles etc, oh…and yes…they should most definitely produce… a titanium version!!!

The shave itself was sublime. I kid ye not, this was undoubtedly the finest shave I have ever had. No aggression, smooth, and very, very comfortable, with no irritation or razor burn at all. One pass (effectively two, I suppose, given the double edge) and I was even able to get those tricky little under-nose bristles - and those pesky ones at the back of my jawline - much more effectively than with my DE razors.

I am truly at a loss because I enjoyed this shave so much I can't imagine wanting to go back to my other razors anytime soon:oops:. I think I'm going to have to try the Leaf out with many other creams and soaps before (and if) I switch back to a razor rotation.

Final word: The last time I had this much enjoyment so close to my chin, I hadn't actually had a shave ...but she had!:censored::cool:

Leaf and forest ...perfect!

I received a ‘Leaf' razor this afternoon and had a pot of TOBS Royal Forest shaving cream for a few days, so, based on the principle that a leaf should feel at home in a forest, here's my shave:
  • Leaf razor (silver) - Gillette Nacet, split and set in top and middle trays

View attachment 57659

The Leaf razor is essentially the bastard child of a 1912 and a Mach 3. It has the charm and character of traditional SE and DE razors, combined with the cutting edge (pun intended) of a 'Skunkworks' design project. It's a steampunk razor that seems infinitely adjustable via blade settings, blade choice, and swivel head.

Using the Leaf seemed much closer to using a SE or DE than a cartridge razor, largely due to the fact that I was working with standard DE blades and I had to fit them into the razor. No doubt, in future iterations they will produce a two-piece, allowing for swapping handles etc, oh…and yes…they should most definitely produce… a titanium version!!!

The shave itself was sublime. I kid ye not, this was undoubtedly the finest shave I have ever had. No aggression, smooth, and very, very comfortable, with no irritation or razor burn at all. One pass (effectively two, I suppose, given the double edge) and I was even able to get those tricky little under-nose bristles - and those pesky ones at the back of my jawline - much more effectively than with my DE razors.

I am truly at a loss because I enjoyed this shave so much I can't imagine wanting to go back to my other razors anytime soon:oops:. I think I'm going to have to try the Leaf out with many other creams and soaps before (and if) I switch back to a razor rotation.

Final word: The last time I had this much enjoyment so close to my chin, I hadn't actually had a shave ...but she had!:censored::cool:

Someone else had a leaf loan and said it was really good and difficult to mess-up with. I've been toying with various DE purchases over the last few months, and think the leaf is probably the one to get. It was never on my list as it looks a little bit archaic. The benefits seems to speak for themselves. You can still use DE blade, so get a good cost per shave, and you get a great shave in the mix. I shall be watching to see if you switch razors in the coming weeks. However, you may switch, only to convince yourself that the leaf is still the dogs danglies.

Monday AM 2020-07-27

Rooney Stubby 1 Porcelain Finest (22/45)
Dusy Kabinett shaving soap
Carbon Shaving Damascus Athena/R2
Wilkinson London Bridge (10)
Ginger's Garden Rose Petals aftershave

The soap was grated and pressed this time. The scent was good when the tub was opened but became very faint in the lather. The lather was good but not really great, definitely not the equal of the tallow British soaps I sometimes use. The razor performed beautifully again, its shave rivalling that of the Paradigm 17-4. Perhaps it is partly my imagination, but it seems that its shave is significantly better than either the CX-Titanium or the regular CX-316L, at least with the two great old blades I have used in it.
EcJUV3E.jpg

Back
Top Bottom