SOTD : Saturday 23th May - Friday 29th May 2020

Sotd-25-05-20.jpg

Sotd - Monday the 25th of May

Prep - facial scrub
razor - Gillette Slim (3)
blade - Nacet (Mick Dundee - 'call that a knife?' - 3)
brush - Semogue 2015 HD silver tip
soap - Valobra stick - tallow
post - witch hazel
a/s - Deli Plus locion
balm - Nivea Sensitive
scent - ADP - Mirto de Panarea edt.

Result? Week ten in the Big Brother house yawns in front of me like a big yawny thing - this is getting tedious - it is probably just as well I didn't have a single screw fully tightened beforehand - otherwise the adjustment would have been more traumatic - cracking shave though. I was sad to read elsewhere on the site today that Valobra is apparently no more - in its previous form - I'm fond of my La Toja, Lea, Palmolive and De Vergulde Hand sticks - but the Italian tallow soap is a country mile ahead in terms of performance for me. Bummer. Enjoy shaving - yours all - I.

@donnie_arko - 'been struggling with the black dog recently and today was the first morning for a while where I had the motivation to have a shave' - I sympathise mate - I'm like that too - whether I can keep up my appearance when I am badly depressed is one of the main barometers my partner uses to judge my mood - it is hard sometimes - looking at yourself in the mirror with a week's growth - can seem insurmountable - but if I can just get it together - having a good shave is a positive thing - I feel so much better afterwards - I think it is one of the reasons I became a dedicated 'proper' shaver - the ritual is about more than just having a clean chin. Take care amigo.

Last edited:
Monday AM 2020-05-25
Memorial Day
hotjG7W.jpg

Rooney 3/2 Ebony Finest (24/54)
Crabtree & Evelyn Lavender shaving cream (vintage)
Wolfman WR2-SB/Bob's Razor Works Bull Mastiff
Wilkinson Chromium 'Light Brigade' (7)
Yardley English Lavender aftershave (vintage)
Ll81RVO.jpg

@donnie_arko - 'been struggling with the black dog recently and today was the first morning for a while where I had the motivation to have a shave' - I sympathise mate - I'm like that too - whether I can keep up my appearance when I am badly depressed is one of the main barometers my partner uses to judge my mood - it is hard sometimes - looking at yourself in the mirror with a week's growth - can seem insurmountable - but if I can just get it together - having a good shave is a positive thing - I feel so much better afterwards - I think it is one of the reasons I became a dedicated 'proper' shaver - the ritual is about more than just having a clean chin. Take care amigo.

Thanks for the reply Iain and for the kind words.

I'm in agreement about the tedium, it's the homogeneity of the days, of course I probably do not do as many things as I could but I'm missing the things which I definitely cannot do!

I'm all too familiar of not being able to look yourself in the mirror, I'd find sometimes at some low times the only way to gauge how time passed was to see how much my beard have grown. Like yourself this glorious hobby is a means to address the black dog, I find the act of having a shave to get off my stubble and at least trying to look my best for the morning of the day goes a huge way into trying to set myself for the day to come. As much as I enjoy the complexities and variable nature of all the shaving paraphernalia, it's the actual shave I enjoy most of all.
Like yourself, take care in these strange times we find ourselves in.

IMG_20200525_202748.jpg
SOTD 25th May (I think!?)
Soap - Wonderful Wickhams Parma Violet
Brush - Omega Superbly Scritchy Brush
Razor - Rockin' Rockwell 6c R5, 4 and 3
Blade - Great Gillette Rubie #2
Post - Brilliant Barts Balm Peppermint

As above, I now too use my shaving time as a pick me up in these trying times. Tonight was a simple but stunning 3 pass shave that was needed after nearly 3 days growth. Feel so much better for it. The Omega is gonna be renamed my Wickhams brush. It loves this soap. Rockwell was faultless - as it always is. And Barts Balm was a great revitalising post shave pampering.
I was chatting to a young lad today in passing, who told me how important a Facebook forum was in helping him through these last few trying, strange weeks. Think we should be mindful and grateful to this fantastic, thoughtful and generous community of Traditional shaving.
Take care everyone, stay safe, and on here there is always support and an ear.

Back
Top Bottom