SOTD Saturday 23rd Sept-Friday 29th Sept 2017

Hi Chris,
I've just checked my posts in the Lending Pool thread and I didn't use one, sorry. I did ask if you could use a Proline/Artist Club blade and according to @Blademonkey you can but you will need to cut it down to fit.

Apologies about the misinformation.

Cheers, no apologies necessary, I enjoy all the posts here - always something to learn :)

NWGpftO3_o.jpeg

Vie Long 04503
Schick Krona
Schick Platinum Plus (2)
Calani Oriental Plum
Boots Tea Tree WH, Myrsol Emulsion & Crabtree and Evelyn Black Absinthe

The shave I planned to have yesterday, really superb shave. Calani lathers so easily, always guaranteed a thick, creamy lather and the Vie Long is such a joy to use, never had issues with tangling. The blade was better with this use, glided through effortlessly, I'll try and see how many shaves I can get out of it. First use of the emulsion, mine is a roll on so I covered my face with a light coating and rubbed it in, feels superb and very protecting. An unexpected menthol hit, smells a bit like the Blue only more powdery.

SOTD: 260917
SOTD 260917.jpg
Blade: Astra SS
Razor: Focus R48 (Pass Around)
Brush: razorock 400 Alu Synth
Soap NSS Lemon, Basel & Mandarin
EDT: CK One

Well that was different. I am not sure with where to start. The razor is light and I do like the ergonomics of the handle. My concern on its design is two fold. Firstly I do not like how the Top plate is assembled to the bottom plate. It is extremely loose without a blade fitted and I am sure could easily become lost in its travels.
Loading the blade was a little tricky but here lies my main concern.
On my first pass the blade somehow became detached from its locating pins and as a result I received a deep cut to my neck. I am sure this is my error but it looked fine to me before I started my shave.
The other point to mention is you have to be vary careful with the other edge of the totally exposed blade. It could make your eyes water when trimming the tricky bits like under your nose.

I was a little sceptical after that to use much pressure but I do feel you have to use more pressure than you would on a DE for example in order for the pivot to start playing its role. The angle is also a little steep while the pivot is at rest.
On a more positive note I did complete a 3 pass shave and I must say I am very pleased with result. DFS as I would have required touch-ups to achieve BBS so I thought I would leave it there and quit while I was ahead.
One more go and I will be ready to pass this on.

Wonderful result from the brush and soap combo as usual but I wish I didn't spray my cut with the CK one :eek: ouch!

Gibbs No 15 with a German Wilkinson, AOS Sandalwood. Starting the beard on the 4 setting the Gibbs felt surprisingly aggressive, plenty of noise and blade feel. Very clean in two passes, dolphins jealous after a third. I dialed back to 3 for the head shave, very easy BBS in 2+. A drop of my shave oil as a balm and the feel after this shave, with kudos to the AOS tallow is just phenomenal.
9a6a6987ad8f62dfc4d2a49f0c10c2d9.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

SOTD: 260917
View attachment 29405
Blade: Astra SS
Razor: Focus R48 (Pass Around)
Brush: razorock 400 Alu Synth
Soap NSS Lemon, Basel & Mandarin
EDT: CK One

Well that was different. I am not sure with where to start. The razor is light and I do like the ergonomics of the handle. My concern on its design is two fold. Firstly I do not like how the Top plate is assembled to the bottom plate. It is extremely loose without a blade fitted and I am sure could easily become lost in its travels.
Loading the blade was a little tricky but here lies my main concern.
On my first pass the blade somehow became detached from its locating pins and as a result I received a deep cut to my neck. I am sure this is my error but it looked fine to me before I started my shave.
The other point to mention is you have to be vary careful with the other edge of the totally exposed blade. It could make your eyes water when trimming the tricky bits like under your nose.

I was a little sceptical after that to use much pressure but I do feel you have to use more pressure than you would on a DE for example in order for the pivot to start playing its role. The angle is also a little steep while the pivot is at rest.
On a more positive note I did complete a 3 pass shave and I must say I am very pleased with result. DFS as I would have required touch-ups to achieve BBS so I thought I would leave it there and quit while I was ahead.
One more go and I will be ready to pass this on.

Wonderful result from the brush and soap combo as usual but I wish I didn't spray my cut with the CK one :eek: ouch!

Good write-up Wayne. Your experience is what I feared could happen after watching the ‘Kevy shaves' video a few days ago.

There were a number of Red flags, the first one is having to snap the blade in half. A big no-no in my book. The next one is how you load the blade. One slip and you could slice the top of your thumb off. Judging from your experience it shouldn't even be on the market.

It's also probably the ugliest looking razor. I know they say ‘'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'' but come on! Plus £45.00 is a joke when you compare it to the Colonial General. It looks like it was made in someone's shed.

Have I used the razor? No. Do I fancy trying it? No. I just fancied a bit of rant.:p:oops::rolleyes:

Good write-up Wayne. Your experience is what I feared could happen after watching the ‘Kevy shaves' video a few days ago.

There were a number of Red flags, the first one is having to snap the blade in half. A big no-no in my book. The next one is how you load the blade. One slip and you could slice the top of your thumb off. Judging from your experience it shouldn't even be on the market.

It's also probably the ugliest looking razor. I know they say ‘'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'' but come on! Plus £45.00 is a joke when you compare it to the Colonial General. It looks like it was made in someone's shed.

Have I used the razor? No. Do I fancy trying it? No. I just fancied a bit of rant.:p:oops::rolleyes:
I couldn't of put it more eloquently myself Rob. :D
It feels cheap and I used it without snapping the blade. I would not even try and do that. As a result I had the top end of the blade just waiting to take my nose off in one false move........and I like my nose, its suits my face anyway.:p

For the pivot to work you really do have to use quite considerable pressure. Something I have just spent many months trying not to do having been introduced into DE and SE shaving.
I think if someone wants to buy this they are better off going back to cart's.

Now where have I put those steri strips, my neck's still bleeding...........:eek::)

View attachment 29407 SOTD 26/09/17

Brush: Muhle Silvertip Badger
Blade: Gillette Blue (3)
Razor: Vintage 1966 Gillette Slim Adjustable
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandlewood
Post Shave:
Osma Alum Block
Paco Rabanne 1 Million Eau de Toilette
Nivea Men Sensitive Cooling Post Shave Balm
Nice set up Mike.
I too have recently acquired a 1966 Gillette slim and am looking forward to trying it.

That's what I do, manual load - taking the head off and reassembling.

I loved using the injector key with the Personna's - the novelty factor was good. It would be good to be able to inject so to speak with the Proline, as opposed to a manual load.

All the best,

Chris
It is the Schick Proline Type B that fits the Supply SE. The blades can be injected if they are cross
loaded into a host keyed dispenser, easier if it already has one blade left in it.

I couldn't of put it more eloquently myself Rob. :D
It feels cheap and I used it without snapping the blade. I would not even try and do that. As a result I had the top end of the blade just waiting to take my nose off in one false move........and I like my nose, its suits my face anyway.:p

For the pivot to work you really do have to use quite considerable pressure. Something I have just spent many months trying not to do having been introduced into DE and SE shaving.
I think if someone wants to buy this they are better off going back to cart's.

Now where have I put those steri strips, my neck's still bleeding...........:eek::)
Stick to your 1912 Wayne! :)

Back
Top Bottom