SOTD: Saturday 21 - Friday 27 October 2023.

I haven't posted on SOTD for a while but I've done so today to review the Edward X Jacob razor, which most of us will know as the '£5 delivered off ebay razor with allegedly stainless steel handle'. I can't really comment on whether the handle is stainless steel or not as I just don't know enough about it. It is steel but until I've used it for a while I can't say if it will rust or tarnish. It has a 'smokey blush' to it, if that makes any sense?!

The balance of the razor seems pretty even. The head is not too heavy or light. Then handle was not slippery.
The blade clicks several times as the handle is tightened into the head and base plate.
I got a decent shave out of this with no nicks. I felt a little warmth from the blade but this could be because it is uncoated and I have sensitive skin, and it could be to do with the angle at which the head bends the blade.
I used the closed comb edge on one side of my face and the open comb edge on the other, although this may not have been the fairest test as I had only shaved 24 hours before so there wasn't much beard to comb. I didn't feel any differences between the two sides of the base plate. The blade exposure seem even across the width of the head.
There was a lot of audible feedback during the shave and a lot of blade feel. Neither of these things are my preference but I did get a decent result. A little sting from the alcohol-based aftershave.
I imagine most people would use the handle on their own preferred heads, and after this shave I probably will too, although I would revisit the head again with a different blade when I fancy a change.
The handle fits nicely on my short comb New head (probably the wrong name for it but hopefully you know what I mean) but didn't screw all the way into my Canadian Tech head.

Rating: 4 / 5

Razor: Edward X Jacob Open and closed comb head (£5 delivered, ebay)
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless "Green"
Brush: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Amber Aerolite Stygian Synthetic
Lather: Tabac Stick (tallow)
Aftershave: Puig Brummel aftershave lotion https://shavingbuddies.com/shave/653b72007561cd6e4046518e

Friday 27th October

ADCreHfOU4SEYLuqyajGXAOrUfJFOWkO2jez8syNiF6Zemz4mMi_9i20HWLwFaAYeNviGlnd4NAL26Sz6cl5nhnLf1z9kFG0e8uGM6G82eRqTuf7ItnVdCNWwgVi6lSolaclBK-_hLcQtCXCx-uFpB30rNdIZw=w800

Gillette Classic Shaving Cream & Kent Infinity+ Silvertex
Gillette G2 Plus & Gillette G2 Cartridge (5)
Drakkar Noir Aftershave

IMG_3040.jpegIMG_3064.jpegIMG_3065.jpegIMG_3070.jpegIMG_3077.jpegIMG_3190.jpegIMG_3276.jpegThis week has been a bit of a blur as we are in Dubai visiting my brother in law and family. Done most of the sites and got fleeced like a twat in the Soak where I spent double on a bottle of aftershave than I should have and could have got at home but the experience was great fun. Have found the Lattafa factory shop so I’m hoping to get a load of stuff there before I return! Again need to find a way to avoid the wife seeing the haul but they will deliver to your door so that’s a win!
All the best guys!

And as my final entry for this past week of SOTD's I hereby my last shave themed, 'Just get this over with and so here it is'

20231027_203157.jpg

Over here - Stainless Mongoose
Where? - Kai Titan mild
What this? - Steven Jagger 30mm Cashmere
Where, here? - MDC Fougere
Sod this I'm off - Collegen

'Boring? My panties fell off half an hour ago'

There is only one way to put it. Bloody brilliant after two days of not seeing a blade, and simply bloody brilliant anyway.

Have a wonderful weekend you fabulously fantastic forum folk. Of course I do. Love you all that is.

What is a Friday without some puffyshoes? It would be called a Monday, that's what it would be.......

IMG_3434.jpeg
SOTD: 01/11/2023

Razor: Shield AC1
Blade: Feather Super Pro, 4th use
Brush: Yaqi Napoli
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: Proraso Pre-Shave Cream Sensitive Cream
Soap: HC&C Unscented Puck
Balm: Liz Earle Aftershave Balm Balm
Scent Oil: HC&C Dark Moon
Fragrance: Tom Ford Black Orchid Eau de Toilette

Last shave from Dubai.

IMG_3669.jpeg
SOTD: 02/11/2023

Razor: Yaqi Romulus
Blade: Feather Pro, 7th use
Brush: Highlander Olive Wood Boti New Tuxedo
Bowl: HC&C Black Straight Wall Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: HC&C Unscented Hard Puck Puck
Aftershave: HC&C Ladies Man Aftershave
Balm: Baxter Of California Aftershave Balm
Scent Oil: HC&C Ladies Man

First shave of my return home and I had a lot of new toys to play with! The brush from @gile is a New Boti Tuxedo fan knot and though a little apprehensive as I’m not normally a fan fan, it’s gone way up there to challenge the G5C bulb for me! It faces lathers brilliantly and it is obviously top knotch. The handle is so light it’s a delight in the hand! A proud addition to the collection! The HC&C Ladies Man as it says on their sight shares elements of RL blue but has its own twist. The splash is immense, medium strength but long lasting, I can’t wait to try the rest!

Back
Top Bottom