SOTD : Saturday 19th June to Friday 25th June 2021.

How are you getting on with the Tech now?
@donnie_arko , the Feather and GSB have elevated the shave, but the angle is definitely key. Face is great, jawline and problem spot on the neck still need more work. I'll put another couple of different blades through it, but the Tech's definitely a keeper. I'll repeat the same process with my '74 Slim Twist soon as well - that's languishing in a box after being demoted. I still think the Merkur 34C gives me a better (easier?) shave, but part of the fun is experimenting - and improving! :)

@donnie_arko , the Feather and GSB have elevated the shave, but the angle is definitely key. Face is great, jawline and problem spot on the neck still need more work. I'll put another couple of different blades through it, but the Tech's definitely a keeper. I'll repeat the same process with my '74 Slim Twist soon as well - that's languishing in a box after being demoted. I still think the Merkur 34C gives me a better (easier?) shave, but part of the fun is experimenting - and improving! :)

I think from the pictures you have a Zamak head Tech, if you ever see a brass head Ball End Tech for a good price, they shave a little differently, a little better IMO but YMMV as ever.

24/6/21

Pre - Unscented Soap
Soap - Arko Stick
Razor - Yaqi DOC
Brush - Smog 1470
Blade - Perma Sharp (12 or 13?)
Post - Brut Oceans

Smog.jpg

I'd never owned a Smog until picking up the new Hereditas 1470, with it's 22mm/50mm knot.

I'm not one to judge a boar on it's first outing or before it has broken in but I can't see myself really taking to it.

It's clear to see the bristles have been treated chemically, in terms of bleaching I'd say it's a touch less bleached than the Zenith bleached knots. I loaded enough Arko to my face for about 4 passes, but had just enough lather for a single pass, I'm sure it will improve but I'm never a fan of a boar brush that loses it's shape and becomes a floppy mop.

Not a bad shave with the DOC/Perma Sharp though, this blade is still going strong.

I think from the pictures you have a Zamak head Tech, if you ever see a brass head Ball End Tech for a good price, they shave a little differently, a little better IMO but YMMV as ever.
205971690_327797689061109_5732083128434501588_n.jpg204439261_963405637824519_1590912224858103669_n.jpg
@donnie_arko , sounds right! Only ID is a 3 and a 1 on the plate - initial suggestion by @Palmolive fox when I joined was late 60's / early 70's aluminium Tech, and the head certainly doesn't seem to be brass! I'll keep my eyes peeled, although I have told myself it's one in, one out on razors from now on ;) :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
24/06/21
Pre: Shower, Cold water face wash
Brush: Zenith 506 Copper 28mm
Soap: OSP Old Gold
Razor: Blackland Blackbird Brass
Blade: Rapira Cyhepctajib (Super stainless) (3)
Post shave: Cold water Rinse, TC's infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Baxter's of California Balm
Aftershave: Proraso Red
Wk 25 (22).JPG
A very enjoyable shave, the Brass-bird is becoming a firm favourite.
Stay safe and enjoy your day All

gLl2wTx.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac Three-band Silvertip Briar
Soap: NOS Haslinger Schafmilch Tallow
Razor: Merkur Mergress XL (2.5)
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (2)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, D.R. Harris Pink Aftershave Lotion

Such wonderful soap.

Thursday

Palmolive stick
RazoRock Disrupter 22mm synth
Face lather
Gillette Aluminium Tech (England, late 1960s)
Derby Extra (1)
Proraso M&E after shave

It’s coming up for 6 years since I began this odyssey and I thought it was time to take stock today. So, with a couple of unavoidable modifications, I tried to re-create my first DE shave. The Tech is the very first vintage DE cutlery that I bought; and it’s the same blade that came with it (well, from the same tuck).

The brush is different, of course. The original was an EJ Medium Best Badger; which was unpredictable and incredibly floppy (oo-er).

Same soap, but different stick. Same after shave, different bottle (previously the 100ml). 2 pass shave, rather than three.

What’s the point of this nostalgia, I hear some of you ask? Well, dear readers, more than a few have derided the Derby blade; and I have to confess, using the razor, blade and soap combination above left me with a face like a chittering Cenobite from Hellraiser back in the early days of this.

So, fast forward. Are Derby blades that wanky? Or is it naivety and crap noob (Jesus, I never thought I’d use that term, peeps. Fuck…or that one) technique?

Anyways, hardly revelatory; but the latter, for me. Today’s shave was as smooth and as comfy as any I’ve had recently. I also think (and I believe I’ve offered this observation before; along with other contributors) that the Derbys are the blades that we often come to first in DE land. Sellers will often, well-meaningly, throw a tuck in at point of purchase. Thus, we try them in our maiden shaves and, if it doesn’t go as planned, the Derbys are consigned elsewhere.

Well, mileage and all that; but for what it’s worth, I think they’re absolutely fine.

Thank you all for reading possibly my most verbose offering in here, incidentally.

C6B5C040-820B-4A31-8952-A033CF4C63E5.jpeg

Last edited:
Prep: Shower with Baxter’s of California face scrub.
Pre: PAA cube
Soap: Hampshire wool fat soap
Brush: Yaqi lucky dice 26mm
Razor: Snmirn razor
Blade: Astra SP
Post: Alum, Baxter’s of California Shave Tonic and Baxter’s aftershave balm.
I love this little razor, (little Futur), I was surprised how smooth and secure the blade was with the magnetic head holding it in place well. Its a bargain for the £8 you can’t go wrong with it as a travel razor.
Agreed about the SNMIRN, I have been using it for days, amazing quality for the money, perfect blade alignment, I was convinced the magnetic head would be a disaster, but its rock solid :)

Agreed about the SNMIRN, I have been using it for days, amazing quality for the money, perfect blade alignment, I was convinced the magnetic head would be a disaster, but its rock solid :)
I agree had visions of it being a nightmare but was fabulous! Blade alignment is better than some of my other razors, it’s lovely and smooth and on setting 4 I found it was quite mild!

Thursday

Palmolive stick
RazoRock Disrupter 22mm synth
Face lather
Gillette Aluminium Tech (England, late 1960s)
Derby Extra (1)
Proraso M&E after shave

It’s coming up for 6 years since I began this odyssey and I thought it was time to take stock today. So, with a couple of unavoidable modifications, I tried to re-create my first DE shave. The Tech is the very first vintage DE cutlery that I bought; and it’s the same blade that came with it (well, from the same tuck).

The brush is different, of course. The original was an EJ Medium Best Badger; which was unpredictable and incredibly floppy (oo-er).

Same soap, but different stick. Same after shave, different bottle (previously the 100ml). 2 pass shave, rather than three.

What’s the point of this nostalgia, I hear some of you ask? Well, dear readers, more than a few have derided the Derby blade; and I have to confess, using the razor, blade and soap combination above left me with a face like a chittering Cenobite from Hellraiser back in the early days of this.

So, fast forward. Are Derby blades that wanky? Or is it naivety and crap noob (Jesus, I never thought I’d use that term, peeps. Fuck…or that one) technique?

Anyways, hardly revelatory; but the latter, for me. Today’s shave was as smooth and as comfy as any I’ve had recently. I also think (and I believe I’ve offered this observation before; along with other contributors) that the Derbys are the blades that we often come to first in DE land. Sellers will often, well-meaningly, throw a tuck in at point of purchase. Thus, we try them in our maiden shaves and, if it doesn’t go as planned, the Derbys are consigned elsewhere.

Well, mileage and all that; but for what it’s worth, I think they’re absolutely fine.

Thank you all for reading possibly my most verbose offering in here, incidentally.

View attachment 72260
I'm with you on the Derby @Scotshave . It's tainted by the inadequacies of of new wet shavers rather than being the bad blade some believe! Why do so many include in a bundle I wonder:unsure:

I'm with you on the Derby @Scotshave . It's tainted by the inadequacies of of new wet shavers rather than being the bad blade some believe! Why do so many include in a bundle I wonder:unsure:
"A bad worker, or should i say an in-experienced one always blames his tools...I had a bad experience with a Derby extra blade when i first started out, which nearly reverted me back to using cartridge razors, but i realised it was my lack of technique & shaving confidence that was the problem, not the Derby extra blade.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom