SOTD : Saturday 18th April to Friday 24th April 2020

IMG_20200423_130752.jpg

SOTD 23/04/20

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 3D
Blade: Shark Super Stainless
Brush Edwin Jagger Synthetic Silvertip
Cream: Bulldog Original Shave Soap
Post: warm water, cold water, Rockface All Weather Moisturiser

Bulldog Original Shave Soap – I want to like this soap – it contains aloe vera, camelina and green tea. Great slickness and good post shave feel but I've used it three times now and I can't get a lather.

Very disappointed. Has anyone else got experience of this soap? Did they manage to get a lather and how?

Keep safe guys!

Thur 23rd April

RazoRock 400- SE Plissoft noir
P & B Pall Mall
Schick Type"O" Clone
Schick S/S Twin -Japan [ 9 ]
Floid Vigoroso A/S Lotion

This Type "O" may well be a Clone but I can assure you that is a Top Notch Performer. Today with no rush I was able to use it with precision to remove all stubborn whiskers from those inaccessible places such as the nostrils, so my skin was quite squeaky clean. A Super Shave:):)

IMG_0696.jpg

54EB523E-06D6-47F6-AA02-9612D754DB38.jpeg9A7EEFF4-C60C-476C-9045-AEDFBFDDDC33.jpegDCD81FB1-D515-49C2-B895-83085DEB897D.jpeg65E9832A-B1FA-40A8-900A-646AC75EDDE8.jpeg
SOTD Thursday, April 23, 2020

My favorite DE razor, hands down, is my Colonial Silversmith. The only complaint I've ever seen has been about the original handle design that came with the razor, never anything about it's shaving capability. It's been variously described as “ugly”, “too short”, “unbalanced and dumpy-looking” and “slippery”.

Well, Colonial is nothing if not responsive to their customers. The new handle design is heavier, contains knurling, and is beautifully balanced in hand. I just received it yesterday, and love it! It gives an entirely new look to the Silversmith. The shavehasn't changed, of course, but the razor feels better in the hand, and the increased weight is noticeable to me.

The shave itself was spectacular, as usual. A FB Shave Forum friend from down under who is also appreciative of levels of BBSshaves, is correct in classifying the closest BBS shave as “glass-like”. I agree. The BBS I receive from my best shaving DE, this razor, is great, but still does not quite measure up to the BBS delivered with a Feather Super by any of my three AC safety razors.

For this shave I loaded a DE Feather blade into the Silversmith with it's new handle, and soaked my Jayaruh Rosewood Handled #378 Silvertip Badger brush in warm water while showering. My shave prep consisted in adding 6 drops of M-Bomb to my Lucky Tiger Liquid Shave Cream and my usual cold water rinse. The Lucky Tiger is great stuff, and always delivers a thick, protective lather.

The Silversmith sheared through my whiskers on that first WTG pass. The whisker reduction continued through the second XTG, and third ATG delivering the desired BBS. Maybe the difference between this DE shave and the BBS provided by a Feather Super blade is in that first pass. The whisker feel isn't quite as smooth afterwards with the Silversmith and it's Feather blade as opposed to the General,the Vector or the Hawk loaded with a Feather Super AC blade.

Maybe it's just placebo effect, but a day after an AC shave I still retain an acceptable DFS, whereas with the DE it seems to be more in the CCS category. In any case, Iprefer the new handle to the old, and feel clean, cool, smooth, and refreshed.

RAZOR: Colonial Silversmith 316L SS
BLADE: Feather (1)
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Jayaruh Rosewood Silvertip Badger #378
CREAM: Lucky Tiger Liquid Shave Cream
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by ThayersLavender WH and Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite AS Splash. Finished with A&EPost-Shave Serum

3aaab685fe59e8f0d2014b85f136b66c.jpg

23/4/20

Razor - Fat Handle Tech
Blade - Rapira Swedish Supersteel (1)
Soap - Palmolive Stick
Brush - Omega 11819
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Superdrug Forest Fresh

First time using this new Rapira blade and it was a delight to use, smoother and sharper than the Vosk/Rapira Platinum Lux on it's first shave but I can never fully appreciate a blade on it's first shave but the early signs were very encouraging.

A good lather with the brush and soap today, even if the Omega 11819 lost a few more bristles with the shave. I've read of some who never have a problem with boars losing bristles, but pretty much everytime I use a boar they seem to always lose a few bristles, and my Omega 11819 even though I bought it last year and used it less than 50 times (a guess for sure) seems to have lost quite a few from the middle of the brush. With the brush not having the greatest density of bristles at the start it's performance seems to already be diminishing a bit.

Anyway chaps, I hope you have a good day.

I had my third DE safety razor shave today.

For those who don't know, I shave my noggin and the sides of my face where there's not much beard growth, and grow a Van Dyke beard.

This shave has been the most irritation free and also the first with no nicks or cuts whatsoever. The main cause of this is that I decided not to shave against the grain but instead went only with the grain and across the grain. On the previous attempts - as well as when using my old Gillette cartridge razors - I would go with the grain first and then against.

I also think that the brief redness that happened after shaving is actually a skin reaction that I'm having to Nivea Post-shave Balm. The redness only appears after applying the balm and it appears in fairly bright red blotches, in a new place each time, and then goes away again after a few minutes to a few hours. I think I need a different aftershave balm.

I already apply alum after shaving, so maybe I don't need an astringent one with witch hazel or anything? Only a soothing one.

Razor: Muehle R220
Blade: Muehle blade that came with the razor
Unscented goat's milk hybrid soap/cream courtesy of BrianH, aka Signature soaps
Nivea post-shave balm

For those who don't know, I shave my noggin and the sides of my face where there's not much beard growth, and grow a Van Dyke beard.

This shave has been the most irritation free and also the first with no nicks or cuts whatsoever. The main cause of this is that I decided not to shave against the grain but instead went only with the grain and across the grain. On the previous attempts - as well as when using my old Gillette cartridge razors - I would go with the grain first and then against.

I also think that the brief redness that happened after shaving is actually a skin reaction that I'm having to Nivea Post-shave Balm. The redness only appears after applying the balm and it appears in fairly bright red blotches, in a new place each time, and then goes away again after a few minutes to a few hours. I think I need a different aftershave balm.

I already apply alum after shaving, so maybe I don't need an astringent one with witch hazel or anything? Only a soothing one.

Nivea post-shave balm
Maybe drop the balm. Also, I now only use alum if I use a particularly assertive razor; if it stings too much, I need to watch my technique. Don't fall into the trap of using everything post/shave at once, just because it's there. Less is more. Try and get a hold of some alcohol free witch hazel, which should help with the redness.

Since you've said this is only your third shave, your skin is still getting used to this new way of shaving. You may also want to consider cold water rinses between passes and to finish off.

That is a great thing to do. Get used to it first as you improve technique. Once you're happy and more confident, then perhaps consider against the grain. Try to stick to the same set up as well. Otherwise you won't know what is really causing you a problem when you have one.

Nivea post-shave balm

Well done for not giving up ! - We all have to start at the beginning

You might like to try using witch hazel instead of balm - at this time of year balm shouldn't be required, (and could possibly be blocking the pores of your freshly shaven skin?)

Sotd-23-04-20.jpg

Sotd - 23-04-20

Prep - Facial scrub
razor - ATT Calypso M
blade - Feather (1)
brush - Semogue 2012 LE badger and boar
soap - Goodfellas - Inferno - vegetarian I think
post - witch hazel
a/s - Floid - mentally vigorous
balm - Floid
scent - Gotas Frescas.

Result? - for all sorts of reasons - a sublime shave - managed to overcome a full week's lacuna in my personal grooming. A classic Italian soft soap - and guess what? - Feather blades don't suck in the Calypso. I feel much better for it. Enjoy your shaves - one and all - yours - I.

@Boycie83 - thank you.

Back
Top Bottom