SOTD : Saturday 17th April to Friday 23rd April 2021.

Sunday AM 2021-04-18
International Day for Monuments
YKU6cZ9.jpg

Rooney 2/1 Ivory Finest (22/56)
Ralph Lauren Safari shaving soap (tallow)
Wolfman WR1-SB 0.74/Triad Aristocrat Brass & SS
Wilkinson Sword 'New' (19)
Ralph Lauren Safari aftershave balm (vintage)
EglkOvM.jpg

Sunday 18th April

ACtC-3cJxVwCvn0cY4FDK9iNetliQ6wX4fhFgYK4TL1l0rxIuFEHYUqqd9GrtwS0UHTLsbTO88nzetlsg--MqwX7lrRr6XVwiyMJXX5Hntey4dzmg27Xl1c4UJh8_rexWgIDCi_uuIWwPWXYGPtkUfURO2WtEw=s800

French Pink Clay & Charcoal Face Soap
Derby Shaving Stick (Grated)
RazoRock 400 Limited Edition w/Plissoft Noir 24mm
Yaqi Katana DLC w/Star Bakelite Handle
Topaz Platinum (2)
Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla Aftershave Cologne

Second and decisive run with the Topaz Platinum from the Malhotra house ...

Points to note: this is in no way a smooth blade and not reminiscent of, well, any Super Platinum blades from, say, SuperMax or even anything like the Centwin Super Platinum also from the Malhotra house; this is a sharp blade and from the off, put me very much in mind of the first run with the Gillette Winner Special Platinum, another blade I felt bore little resemblance to the usual feel of Super Platinum.

Yesterday, I summarised off the first run that the blade is either a poor man's Gillette Winner Special Platinum or some super-SuperMax Super Stainless, being sharper that most of those. Second run, though, and it's more like the Gillette Winner Stainless ... yes, sharp, but raw! In fact, it's very much like the EuroMax Platinum, a blade I described as also similar to the Gillette Winner Special Platinum ... if the sport was knife fighting!

I'm rating it down a bit off the back of a disappointing second run, which could have revealed a smoother character ... but didn't. I'm placing it alongside the Ladas Stainless and Big Ben Super Stainless at 6/10.

All that said, it is a blade I'd happily shave with again ...

Last edited:
SOTD, Saturday 17 April 2021

Pre-shave:
Warm shower, Wright's Cold Tar Soap, followed by cold water splash.
Soap: Oatcake Leamon bloom.
Brush: Blackland (Signature).
Razor: Rockwell 6S (Matte black) - Basse plate 4.
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (Day 1).
Post: Cold water splash, Musgo Real No.1 Orange Amber Cologne, followed by Moroccanoil Organic Argan Oil.

Decided to 'upgrade' the Rockwell 6S by upping the baseplate and DE razor; the Oatcake always gives good lather and protection - a very nice shave - one of the smoothest, efficient and enjoyable I have ever had... until

SOTD, Sunday 18 April 2021

Pre-shave:
Warm shower, Wright's Cold Tar Soap, followed by cold water splash.
Soap: Oatcake Leamon bloom.
Brush: Blackland (Signature).
Razor: H&S N075 (All Stainless Steel) Black-Coated.
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (Day 2).
Post: Cold water splash, Musgo Real No.1 Orange Amber Cologne, followed by Moroccanoil Organic Argan Oil.

2 pass WTG and XTG - shaving heaven.

Hope everyone is happy, healthy and sane.

Chris

80D28068-5597-43C4-88B8-39696C551CD6.jpeg
Pre: hot shower, bluebeards revenge preshave oil, bloom water

Brush: yaqi 26mm mysterious space tuxedo

Soap: frankensoap Dalit sandalwood x vitos green

Razor: Dovo black star 5/8 pakkawood

clean up razor: Rockwell 6s R4 with Gillette winner blade

another evening shave with the straight - second outing with it and shave definitely went better than the first. As much as efficiency was about the same, I feel like it took less effort this time and managed to get the right angles more times than last. First pass was WTG, second was WTG in majority - only done cheeks ATG.

Will be stropping the razor for the first time before next use - that’ll be another one that’s the first for me lol - already watched plenty of tutorials online on that too haha!

No nicks at all with the straight - as much as felt more confident, I believe better angles did help in being more careful in a way. Still trying to figure out how to do the neck area under the chin / top of the neck ... finding it hard, since if I move my head up higher then I can’t really see the razor lol

Also added one more pass with my Rockwell 6s R4 to tidy up and got rewarded with DFS shave.

Finished the shave off with a generous splash of proraso red - got rewarded with some beautiful stinging. Shave well done without errors!

Mon 19th SE SOTD
Soap RazoRock Puros
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
Razor GEM Push Button
Blade GEM Stainless 5th
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Hyaluronic + Clubman Whiskey Woods
Somehow, today's soap lather scent was a little stronger and it was very distinctively aromatic tobacco! The lather was thickly creamy and slick too...nice!
Shave with razor paired with the blade was smooth overall until the atg pass on the upper lips area it became a bit skippy. Still, 3passes without any issues for between a dfs to ccs result. The aftershaves especially Whiskey Woods were excellent!
20210418_223742.jpg20210419_072150.jpg

175401332_932057654303753_8607724048769081491_n.jpg
Prep: Shower, Palmolive Olive Oil Soap
Soap: Extro Barocco
Brush: 24mm Yaqi Mysterious Space
Razor: Parker 22R Interceptor
Blade: Astra SP (1)

If - as many of us have postulated - the shave routine is a time for quiet reflection and calm, today's thoughts were basically "Christ I'm easily enabled!" It was an almost subconscious choice to load an Astra SP, a blade I've not used for months. following discussions on here. The finish is good, but felt harder work and more scratchy than my usual choices. Certainly no reason to add it to rotation, but better than some others.
Fresh out of Emporio Ourboycie, the Barocco's scent is heavenly. A powdery rose without the heaviness of the Harris, but there is something massively retro about it. Almost like sniffing those scented drawer liners from the seventies:oops::ROFLMAO: The performance was decent enough, but after recent thirsty soaps it did feel more lightweight on the lather front. That's on me though, and I'll not go in as heavy on the water next time. No ASL, just Witch Hazel to test the longevity of the scent. It dissipated very quickly, so going forward I'll probably reach for the TDS Nota Rosa ASL, or even something more citrussy.

Monday 19th April
Birthday Shave
Cadman Custom Synthetic - OSP Spice Road Prototype - General Brass - Schick Proline P #1 - Old Spice A/S - Aloe Vera Gel - Viktor & Rolf Spice Bomb EDT
3aMLXoF.jpg

A celebration with 3 of my favourite pieces of shaving accoutrements accompanied by 2 of my favourite guitarists.
Happy Birthday!!!

Monday 19th April
Birthday Shave
Cadman Custom Synthetic - OSP Spice Road Prototype - General Brass - Schick Proline P #1 - Old Spice A/S - Aloe Vera Gel - Viktor & Rolf Spice Bomb EDT
3aMLXoF.jpg

A celebration with 3 of my favourite pieces of shaving accoutrements accompanied by 2 of my favourite guitarists.
Wishing you a very Happy Birthday.

Back
Top Bottom