SOTD : Saturday 15th May to Friday 21st May 2021.

18/05/21
Pre: Shower, Cold water Face Rinse
Brush: Edwin Jagger Medium
Soap: Signature Soap Leodis
Razor: ATT SE-G1 - V2 (Modified)
Blade: GEM PTFE S/S (4)
Post shave: Cold water Rinse, TC's infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Gucci by Gucci Balm
Aftershave: Geoffrey Beene Bowling Green
Wk20 (4).JPG
Bingo!
Although this brush has no backbone it still has a bit scritch and works OK if used face lathering only using the tips, it loaded nicely and produced a very nice face covering with a little extra work and held enough soap for the 3 passes, basically the Signature soaps can get the best from any brush. The EJ is on the small side for me and would make a nice travel brush with some soft soap or cream.
The G1 with its modified baseplate (reduced SB length) gave a wonderful shave today, close comfortable and BBS smooth.
I finished off with the Bowling Green AS which again punched above its price bracket.
Stay safe and enjoy your day All.

Sotd-18-05-21.jpg

A conflation of my last three three shaves - I had been generously gifted a sample of TDS Semyonich by @Paul L and wanted to get a decent idea of what it is like before venturing an opinion.

Razors - ATT Alu Caypso M (Wizamet Polsilver) or Karve Alu C plate (Feather)
Brushes - Simpson Trafalgar T2 or Semogue 2000 boar or Chubby 1 best
soap - TDS Semyonich
post - witch hazel
a/s - Nivea Sensitive alcohol free
balm - none needed or used.

All good - I enjoyed using the soap very much - top notch. I don't think anybody has questioned the quality of the base but - on the other hand - the scent seems to divide the body of the kirk. In my opinion, it is a bit odd at first but it really grew on me and I ended up enjoying it. Much time has been spent trying to describe, unpick the scent and below is my attempt at it.:) Enjoy your shaves - one and all - cheers - I.

Chernobyl in the spring.....

Pripyat, to be precise. Wolf cubs roll and play in the over-grown remains of a children’s swing park – as human youngsters did thirty five years before. Vegetation is taking back over – soon metal and concrete will no longer be visible; nature is healing her wounds. A great irony resulting of this example of human hubris is that one of the biggest nature reserves in Europe has been created; a thousand square miles of woodland rapidly returning to a virgin state. One of the most bio-diverse places on the continent. Bison, elk, boar and bear wander without intervention. Let us go deeper into the woods....

The air is heavy with the smell of trees and soil - moist, damp and fecund. We are almost upon the structure before we recognise it as the work of human hands – logs set above a natural hollow, covered with mounds of fir branches – as camouflage and weatherproofing. There is a partially concealed opening at one end – more like the entrance to an animal’s den than a door. We enter.

It is almost impenetrably dark inside – our nose might be a better guide to the contents and its owner. The single shaft of light that penetrates, illuminates an army issue field jacket; battered and torn, covered in sulphurous smelling bloodstains. The patches are still visible – Soviet VDV – Alfa – 10th Group Kiev Oblast. Spetsnaz paratroopers.

The walls are rough-hewn pine, fragrant resin crystalising in droplets; gaps caulked with handfuls of oakmoss to stop the draught, a tar-paper roof makes it watertight. A powerful smell of kerosene – both from a lamp and also a burner underneath a homemade still – the produce no doubt a greater danger to him than anything the Mujaheddin or Chechens could have devised. A rag impregnated with gun oil hangs next to weapons suspended from the wall – many more than might be needed for solely hunting. A saucer of camphor oil; used as an insect repellant. Our eyes are a little better acclimatised now and it is noticeable that the mats of spruce branches that cover the floor are fresh, having been cut recently – very recently. It is time to go; to be found violating the sanctuary of someone that has taken this much trouble to avoid human contact will not end well.

That's what Semyonich smells like. :LOL:

Last edited:
View attachment 70078

A conflation of my last three three shaves - I had been generously gifted a sample of TDS Semyonich by @Paul L and wanted to get a decent idea of what it is like before venturing an opinion.

Brushes - Simpson Trafalfar T2 or Semogue 2000 boar or Chubby 1 best
soap - TDS Semyonich
post - witch hazel

All good - I enjoyed using the soap very much - top notch. I don't think anybody has questioned the quality of the base but - on the other hand - the scent seems to divide the body of the kirk. In my opinion, it is a bit odd at first but it really grew on me and I ended up enjoying it. Much time has been spent trying to describe, unpick the scent and below is my attempt at it.:) Enjoy your shaves - one and all - cheers - I.

Pripyat, to be precise. Wolf cubs roll and play in the over-grown remains of a children’s swing park – as human youngsters did thirty five years before. Vegetation is taking back over – soon metal and concrete will no longer be visible; nature is healing her wounds. A great irony resulting of this example of human hubris is that one of the biggest nature reserves in Europe has been created; a thousand square miles of woodland rapidly returning to a virgin state. One of the most bio-diverse places on the continent. Bison, elk, boar and bear wander without intervention. Let us go deeper into the woods....

The air is heavy with the smell of trees and soil - moist, damp and fecund. We are almost upon the structure before we recognise it as the work of human hands – logs set above a natural hollow, covered with mounds of fir branches – as camouflage and weatherproofing. There is a partially concealed opening at one end – more like the entrance to an animal’s den than a door. We enter.

It is almost impenetrably dark inside – our nose might be a better guide to the contents and its owner. The single shaft of light that penetrates, illuminates an army issue field jacket; battered and torn, covered in sulphurous smelling bloodstains. The patches are still visible – Soviet VDV – Alfa – 10th Group Kiev Oblast. Spetsnaz paratroopers.

The walls are rough-hewn pine, fragrant resin crystalising in droplets; gaps caulked with handfuls of oakmoss to stop the draught, a tar-paper roof makes it watertight. A powerful smell of kerosene – both from a lamp and also a burner underneath a homemade still – the produce no doubt a greater danger to him than anything the Mujaheddin or Chechens could have devised. A rag impregnated with gun oil hangs next to weapons suspended from the wall – many more than might be needed for solely hunting. A saucer of camphor oil; used as an insect repellant. Our eyes are a little better acclimatised now and it is noticeable that the mats of spruce branches that cover the floor are fresh, having been cut recently – very recently. It is time to go; to be found violating the sanctuary of someone that has taken this much trouble to avoid human contact will not end well.

Excellent prose, Iain!

Tacac Tuesday Caravan SOTD

Tabac Stick
Simpson Trafalgar T3
Yaqi Excalibur
Kai Protouch MG (2)
Tabac Aftershave

I was going to shave yesterday, but it being my birthday, I decided to give it a miss.

Kai Protouch MG on it's 2nd shave was a pure delight in the Yaqi Excalibur. As smooth as silk, aided by the wonderful Tabac lather.

We're in North Cornwall for a weeks holiday, and the weather is against us. Although we had a nice few hours in Bideford yesterday.
Planning to visit Barnstaple today for a look about, and maybe a pub lunch.
Belated birthday greetings....Wishing you a wonderful day. (y)

Tabac Stick
Simpson Trafalgar T3
Yaqi Excalibur
Kai Protouch MG (2)
Tabac Aftershave

I was going to shave yesterday, but it being my birthday, I decided to give it a miss.

Kai Protouch MG on it's 2nd shave was a pure delight in the Yaqi Excalibur. As smooth as silk, aided by the wonderful Tabac lather.

We're in North Cornwall for a weeks holiday, and the weather is against us. Although we had a nice few hours in Bideford yesterday.
Happy Belated Birthday Paul , hope it was a good one.

Tabac Stick
Simpson Trafalgar T3
Yaqi Excalibur
Kai Protouch MG (2)
Tabac Aftershave

Happy Birthday :)

View attachment 70078

Brushes - Simpson Trafalfar T2 or Semogue 2000 boar or Chubby 1 best
soap - TDS Semyonich
post - witch hazel

I can imagine this is more of what the soap maker was aiming for rather than 'that old man's jacket'. Nicely done!

Back
Top Bottom