SOTD: Saturday 11 November - Friday 17 November 2023.

Fri 17th November

Aleppo soap- Shave pre wash
The Grosvenor 404mixed
Ach Brito Mogno
RR Hawk V3- A plate
Schick Proline ( 1 )

Not sure why but after Wed Shave parts of my face were inflamed and sore. As the situation had improved today, I settled for a cautious approached and selected the V3 Hawk with a fresh blade, as I know that combination always worked well. Soapwise the Ach Brito Mogno has always worked well with no side effects. I made sure not to go for too close a finish and so far no ill effects from the Shave.
Once again decided not to use an After Shave.

IMG_0825.jpeg

PXL_20231117_065004687~2.jpg
I didn't get on that well with this lord L6 on the first shave with the stock light, long, aluminium handle. I got some irritation and a few spots of blood. tried it again with a heavier handle today and got a much better result

I've been using mild razors lately like techs so I think the really light handle was causing me to add a little pressure

I guess this is about the limit of aggression for me, I can get a really close shave with something like an R41 but I have to go really slow and be careful about pressure etc. I think I'm learning that I get less irritation if I do more passes with a mild razor than fewer passes with an aggressive one, especially if shaving every day or two.

1000001723.jpg

SOTD November 17. 2023

Razor - Shield Gem Ti
Blade - Personna Gem
Soap - Klar Kabinett
Brush - Shavemac 28mm silvertip
Bowl - Captain's Choice standard weight copper
Post - Thayer's astringent
Frag - Quorum - Antonio Puig EDT

Another great shave today, everything worked well together and I was left with super smooth skin and a smile, that can't be bad can it!

Until the next time, stay safe and shave happy.

Paul.

Friday 17th November

ADCreHcW_eOqsynbNpGMpbAYzYDEC218k6cwnw12bkP-ZO91dTTX6YZQWrt30wO-eaUU4EFTp5Dm3H-z23wbT-ZDJNtm9QSsZyi2Wf0pw6fULPgkqLNoNnkn8FL4XTI6xQSHURaYeo5eVd06JXmgDKCp0VeF-w=w800

Cyril R Salter Shaving Soap & Muhle Silvertip Fibre 23mm
Merkur 37C (2015) & Rapira Platinum Lux (3)
Boots Albany (Vintage) Aftershave

Highly enjoyable trio of shaves with this Rapira.

Highly enjoyable also with the Cyril R Salter soap which is a dead-ringer for 1980s Culmak. Maybe we've had this conversation here and decided that it is the case. There's a strong herbal thing going on in the scent and while I often say it's like insect repellant, that is harsh! Splashed with some Veg, whether current or vintage ... or the Boots Albany, which to my nose is the British equivalent ... just superb!

Razor = Feather Poplar
Blade = Brazilian Wilko ( 3 )
Brush = Rooney 20mm Super Badger
Soap = Lurch & Fester By Ariana & Evans
with matching splash.
Balm = Nivea Sensitive Daily Moisturiser
IMG_3249.jpeg
Iv been looking forward to using this soap all week & it didn’t disappoint scent wise.
It actually reminds me of something else i have but can’t put my finger on it.
Iv said it twice so i won’t say it a second time :unsure: lol.
But this VR2 base does nothing for me.
It’s ok there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it but for me the Keizen 2 is better in fact even the Kaizen 1.
I just wonder about these Artisans that strive to change a base but for me it’s not always for the better
It’s certainly no Omnibus that’s for sure.
Getting on to the Razor the popular is a razor i never use enough but i like it a lot,
i always get bloody good shaves however i never get a bbs with it.
Now i never actually strive for a bbs but as we all know some combos just nail it,
but for some reason the poplar shaves are a 7/10 which in heinsite isn’t bad at all.
iv been a busy boy tonight trying to pack my suitcase early so i’m not stressing during the week.
iv got an extra couple of days i wasn’t expecting so time to chillax
Enjoy the weekend guys i’m actually drying out lol

Last edited:
After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

Long Weber handle with a Stahly head screwed on the end/Schick Plus Platinum blades (1971 vintage)
Colonel Conk super badger/Aramis JHL shaving soap (vintage)
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Aramis 'Havana' EdT (vintage juice)

Been using this razor/ blade combo for a few months straight with no sign of stopping. Amazingly comfortable and forgiving that leaves a surprisingly close/smooth result. Purchased a NOS box of 180 blades a while ago (12 packs of 15), having determined they're my favorite and the price was right after being patient till the deal came along. Fifty years old and no magic lost with these.

This old soap is a treasure. Loads and lathers easily like Old Spice soap with a pleasant enough scent but nothing major. Performance is top notch though, including post shave feel. Hoping to get 40-50 shaves outta the smallish puck, with one back up in the arsenal.

This older Havana frag is, I'm happy to say, quite similar to me regarding the current modern incarnation I sampled maybe 7-8 years ago. Good bang for the buck for sure.

Settled into a sorta routine with changes in soaps and scents but same set up razor wise. Perfect for me.

BBS results,

Martin

Why, hello there darlings. There is only one thing to do and that is to announce, for my final entry for this past week of SOTD's, I proudly present you with the shave and the theme, 'All that?'

20231117_190749.jpg

All that razor? - Feather AS-D2
All that blade? - Polsilver Lodz
All that brush? - Wee Whiskey Barrel
All that cream? - Veritas Vincent
All that balm? - L'Occitane Cade

This SOTD has been unexpectedly terminated due to no input being received for the past several hours. We are sorry for any inconvenience.

IMG_3739.jpeg

IMG_3744.jpeg

IMG_3751.jpeg

I’ve been lax the last few weeks with my SOTD so here’s the last few days worth with my new Alpha Shave Works Stainless Steel Evolution. It’s fair to say it’s been amazing! A solid mid aggression, mid exposure razor which under plays just how efficient and effective a shave this is. I’d say it sits somewhere between a 5-6 on a Rockwell scale for face feel but somehow very efficient. It’s weighty, solid and it has a very grippy handle design which I love and is particularly impressive! Just when I was beginning to consider moving on most my DE’s bar the R6S and Hone, this came along to change mind!

SOTD Friday 17 Nov 2023
No internet last night so couldn’t post!
BC8BBD0A-DEC5-49F9-AEA0-CFF006674EBF.jpegPrep. Imperial Leather face wash
Bowl. Glass
Soap. La Barbiera Classic
Brush. Yaqi 24mm synthetic (no name)
Razor. Merkur 38C
Blade. Shark SS (3)
Post. Face wash with lather remains, cold rinse, alum, Forest Fresh ASL, Nivea Replenishing ASB, Mastermind Vintage EDT

Was going to use the Chinese Gillette Tech I got the other day, but it has been a cold day here and my arthritis and essential tremors conspired to make a 3 piece razor shave unwise!
The new bigger brush made lathering the soap very easy, nice shave followed, the face feel afterwards being a little drier or less moisturised than with the creams I have, but just as smooth and comfortable.
Don’t know what to call this new brush, the listing referred to it as a Yaqi 24mm Huskey - but I think this was an incorrect spelling of Husky, a Yaqi knot, which this isn’t anyway, it’s a Tuxedo - so where to go from there? It’s big and green so I reckon it’s going to be Big Green Yaqi (or maybe Yaqi Broccoli?)

44B752FD-B674-4352-AD15-50E841CDB2CF.jpeg
Husky! Husky? Give me a sled and I’ll show you a Husky! Huh!

Back
Top Bottom