Three Pass Shaving Routine...:cool:

Hot Water prep & massage with Coconut Oil
French CS Hoe Open Comb
Gem Stainless SE blade (Shimmed - x 2)
Semogue Boar Brush
Erasmic Shaving Cream (added Argan oil)
Organic Aloe Vera Gel
Logona Mann Aftershave Splash

Very nice razors these French Hoe Razors....This shaves very much like the French Louis Hoe ...They are very smooth and ever so comfortable...The Open Comb looks nasty but they have a very round curve and offer a lot of protection from the blade....I only shave every few days and I got an ever so close all over BBS result with this French Hoe....I am off to an Internal Martial Arts Training Camp in South Wales for a few days to learn Bagua circle walking and eight palm Qigong ...Not for the faint hearted ....;)

Billy

Prep - Shower / Woods Of Windsor Cedar Woods soap / Pre-lather / 3 min steam
Razor - Gillette Fatboy @4
Blade - Shark Super Stainless (#1)
Brush - Omega 20106
Soap - Arko / Proraso Green / mental crystals
After - Frozen towel / Alum & WH Mix
Result - BBS

Back into my second blade trial properly today, having only had one DE shave in the last month. I couldn't drag myself away from the SE's!
I had reservations about including this blade again as I had found it rather mediocre first time out. It tugged badly and it wasn't great after three passes.
It didn't tug today at all but it still seems to have difficultly cleaving through my bristles. It doesn't feel as clean as it should either.
I'll dial it up a bit next time to see if that makes any difference, as I had to buff a few areas to finish off. It's a comfortable result, just not as much a difference as I maybe had hoped for.

Prep - Shower / Woods Of Windsor Cedar Woods soap / Pre-lather / 3 min steam
Razor - Gillette Fatboy @4
Blade - Shark Super Stainless (#1)
Brush - Omega 20106
Soap - Arko / Proraso Green / mental crystals
After - Frozen towel / Alum & WH Mix
Result - BBS

Back into my second blade trial properly today, having only had one DE shave in the last month. I couldn't drag myself away from the SE's!
I had reservations about including this blade again as I had found it rather mediocre first time out. It tugged badly and it wasn't great after three passes.
It didn't tug today at all but it still seems to have difficultly cleaving through my bristles. It doesn't feel as clean as it should either.
I'll dial it up a bit next time to see if that makes any difference, as I had to buff a few areas to finish off. It's a comfortable result, just not as much a difference as I maybe had hoped for.

I like the Shark blades, but did find that the Fatboy was pants anything below max

I like the Shark blades, but did find that the Fatboy was pants anything below max

It's all depended on what blade's used. Just as I'd have expected for me anyway, the sharper the blade, the milder the razor needs to be. So far the best results I've had are a Tech and Feather combination. This hasn't worked the other way around though as I'm finding the more aggressive razors cause some irritation, no matter the blade.
For me in the Fatboy, no matter the setting, the stand out blades are the St.Petersburg smoothies, the Gillette Silver Blues, Gilllette 7 o'clock SharpEdge Yellows and Perma-Sharp Supers. Personna Lab Blues are also fantastic in it.
I generally start with any blade, in either a Tech or a low setting adjustable. This just lets me get a feel with it,. The first time around, they tugged, caught and then ended up quite literally biting me! I'd rather that happen at four than nine!

SOTD - Tuesday, Day-13 Tabac-tober
Pre: Village Barber oil
Soap: Tabac
Brush: Paladin Jade Chief, 26mm 2-band
Razor: Weber DLC
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (4)
Tabac-Tuesday! I haven't used this Paladin brush in a while, it may be the last time...

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage 1964 Macys rebranded silvertip flopmeister
'Kaily'/Feather
Coates rose SC (older version)
Neutrogena oil free moisture sensitive skin
Givenchy 'Xeryus' EdT (black bottle)

Sometimes nothing beats a Feather blade in a mild razor and this combo is pretty amazing. Most razors make this blade a little more than it needs to be and why push things? The Stahly head tames things perfectly and with a nice UFO handle this Frankenrazor is a kick to use.

BBS results,

Martin

Last edited:
ApCQ643l.png

Shave & Scent of the day with:
Soap: Tim's Soap Greek Peach
Brush: L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
Razor: ATT Atlas R1
Blade: Voskhod (2nd)
Post #1: Myrsol Emulsion
Post #2: Malin+Goetz Vitamin E Face Moisturizer
Scent: L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Eau Extreme by Guerlain

Merkur 34c, Lab Blue
Omega S10083
RSC Shave2 Cream
Brut AS
Coconut Oil

A very quick but pretty decent shave. If you need to do this type of shave then a synth and a squeeze of cream speed things along nicely. I had intended to enjoy a nice slow shave today but fell asleep again - damned apnoea! Ended up making everyone late but hey ho, got there in the end. So much for today's Arko Adventure.....:rolleyes:

Wed 14th Oct
Vulfix 404 mixed
Vitos Red soap
Gem Damaskeene
Gem S/S [ 2 ] + Full Spine Shim
Alum Rub/Rinse
Floid Vigoroso.
Probably one of my best ever SE shaves. Using a Full Spine Shim to simulate the thickness of an original blade , the razor felt that it was not touching my face. It was so smooth and easy to use , even against the grain. Perhaps those who feel the need to feel/hear the razor at work, may not like like this - but for me the use of a shim enhanced the performance of the razor.

Cheers to Billy who thought of this idea. Works in other older razors too ! .

P2030078.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom