SOTD: 2 September 2023: first adventure with the Muehle R41

I've only done 25 safety razor shaves and so am new to this, but I had a rush of blood to the head and bought a Muehle R41. Today was its first outing. I have to say I did not find it too aggressive at all.

Last shave yesterday, with my Parker 26C. Astra blade, second outing (decided a Feather was too much, this first time!) Exceedingly hard water here, so I mixed and micro-warmed a pot of 50/50 distilled/spring water and put an Omega badger brush in it. Removed water from just the tips of the brush. Sea Citrus soap, whipped up to a good lather in my ridged ceramic bowl. Pre-shave of 2 drops of rosehip oil, mixed in the hand with Proraso pre-shave.

WTG, re-lather, ATG, and that was all that was needed. Wash face, L'Occitane Cade post-shave.

I obeyed all the strictures I had read about this razor. No pressure on the razor. Stiff wrist. Pay attention to razor angle. Treat it with respect. Followed the contours of the chin particularly, keeping the razor angle just right.

A very efficient razor indeed. As a noob, I found the exposed blade very present, but not worryingly so. If you have been put off the R41 by scare stories, don't be: if I can get a smooth, nick-free shave from it on my 25th shave, so can you.

(One thing: I found scum on the blade when removing it from the razor, and had to carefully wipe it off before drying and storing the blade. not seen this on the 26C or my closed-comb razors.)

I've only done 25 safety razor shaves and so am new to this, but I had a rush of blood to the head and bought a Muehle R41. Today was its first outing. I have to say I did not find it too aggressive at all.

Last shave yesterday, with my Parker 26C. Astra blade, second outing (decided a Feather was too much, this first time!) Exceedingly hard water here, so I mixed and micro-warmed a pot of 50/50 distilled/spring water and put an Omega badger brush in it. Removed water from just the tips of the brush. Sea Citrus soap, whipped up to a good lather in my ridged ceramic bowl. Pre-shave of 2 drops of rosehip oil, mixed in the hand with Proraso pre-shave.

WTG, re-lather, ATG, and that was all that was needed. Wash face, L'Occitane Cade post-shave.

I obeyed all the strictures I had read about this razor. No pressure on the razor. Stiff wrist. Pay attention to razor angle. Treat it with respect. Followed the contours of the chin particularly, keeping the razor angle just right.

A very efficient razor indeed. As a noob, I found the exposed blade very present, but not worryingly so. If you have been put off the R41 by scare stories, don't be: if I can get a smooth, nick-free shave from it on my 25th shave, so can you.

(One thing: I found scum on the blade when removing it from the razor, and had to carefully wipe it off before drying and storing the blade. not seen this on the 26C or my closed-comb razors.)

I'm love R41s. You've got it spot on. No pressure and 2 passes for completely smooth irritation free shave.

The only 2 I use regularly now are my R41GS (coincidently see today's SOTD post) and my R41 Twist. Both are fantastic.

I'm love R41s. You've got it spot on. No pressure and 2 passes for completely smooth irritation free shave.

The only 2 I use regularly now are my R41GS (coincidently see today's SOTD post) and my R41 Twist. Both are fantastic.
Thank you, kind sir. I got myself the Grande, because I like longer handles. I have a Rockwell 6C, a Parker 99R, a Parker 26C and the Muehle. I was very taken with the 99R, but the R41 has provided it with stiff competition!

Thank you, kind sir. I got myself the Grande, because I like longer handles. I have a Rockwell 6C, a Parker 99R, a Parker 26C and the Muehle. I was very taken with the 99R, but the R41 has provided it with stiff competition!

It's the next day when you realise how good an R41 is. The lack of regrowth is quite noticeable, well for me at least.

The above looks like a shave to me! Yes, it is a mixed posting but there's a definite shave in there.

Sun 3
Soap & Aftershave Barrister & Mann Seville
Brush Yaqi 22mm Ever-Helpful
Razor & Blade Fatip OC/ Perma Sharp
These soap, brush, and splash combinations are just terrific! Smells wonderful and the lather is superbly rich creamy and slick! This excellent razor is intuitively easy to use and paired with a good blade, enjoyed 3 smooth passes for a bbs-dfs finish...
20230903_210054.jpg

Sun 3
Soap & Aftershave Barrister & Mann Seville
Brush Yaqi 22mm Ever-Helpful
Razor & Blade Fatip OC/ Perma Sharp
These soap, brush, and splash combinations are just terrific! Smells wonderful and the lather is superbly rich creamy and slick! This excellent razor is intuitively easy to use and paired with a good blade, enjoyed 3 smooth passes for a bbs-dfs finish...
View attachment 110785
Wrong thread Richard - the OP started another thread . . . .??

Back
Top Bottom