Sony Lens Repair

Just went to use my Macro lens and its bust, it won't focus. When it tries to focus it only moves between 0.6 and 2M. Unfortunately it's out of warranty, anyone any experience of getting lenses repaired ? Is it repairable and would it be economical ?

I always start such quests with an email to the manufacturer HO and one to the local-est maker's centre.

Just when you don't need it - more shit to deal with!! C'est la vie!

Bechet45 said:
I always start such quests with an email to the manufacturer HO and one to the local-est maker's centre.

Just when you don't need it - more shit to deal with!! C'est la vie!

Just found out I can send it to Sony. They want £50 up front, which isn't worth while I can get a new one for as little as £89. For the extra £39 it isn't really worth having it looked at. May even be worth spending more and moving up. I can still use it on manual but its a bit stiff, I recon the motor has seized.

Like you say another thing you just don't need, but never mind it's no great drama. My sons PLaystation Blu Ray drive bust over the weekend too, at least that is an easy and cheap fix at £31 for a new drive.

Well I thought I've nothing to loose so I started taking it apart.

I got to the gears and everything was moving freely, which is wasn't before. I then had a look at the lens and the segments that come out when it focuses, only to find that it was all seized up there. So i took that apart, cleaned it and tried putting it back. It was still stiff so I lubed it up with some grease, we are only talking a very, very small amount. It free'd it up and I put it all back together and .......... It works !!!

It doesn't go through its full focal range but it certain works up to around six inches away and it focuses crisply. I may well take it apart again as it is no doubt something in the lining up by me on putting it back together. Even if I can sort it out I'm happy with that for the moment.

Another success as I also today managed to fix my sons PS3 by putting a new Blu ray drive in at a grand total for the fix of £31.

Have you googled your problem yet? It may be quite common and someone may have a fix. Sounds like something is gummed up or maybe even misaligned to me. Many Sony lenses are actually Minolta or Tamron rebrands so a bit of research might find a solution for you.

tarbyonline said:
Have you googled your problem yet? It may be quite common and someone may have a fix. Sounds like something is gummed up or maybe even misaligned to me. Many Sony lenses are actually Minolta or Tamron rebrands so a bit of research might find a solution for you.

Yes I did google it but only found that they are known to shed cogs as they are plastic. The cogs are all ok non missing and running smoothly.

I will have anther attempt at getting its full range back. I am so close, it is just a case of a couple of screws, I think, in the wrong place.

Back
Top Bottom