Some grinder advice...

I'm looking for my first grinder, so I can start getting coffee in beans rather than already ground. I don't drink a huge amount, so want a fairly small unobtrusive grinder so it doesn't end up in the cupboard, next to the juicer..!

The Bellux one from AGS has always tempted me after I read Missingskin's comments on it.

http://www.algcoffee.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=373

But I can't help wondering if an electric one would be more futureproof? Do they perform any 'better' or just easier to use?

Krups do one for virtually the same price (£36) 17 settings but no mention of motor size.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Krups-Expert-GVX231-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0002H2IOM/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=11052681&s=kitchen

The Gaggia MM isn't much more at £52, 100w motor with 9 settings.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004S78IJG/ref=asc_df_B004S78IJG8885779?smid=A29EWB4IRELGTJ&tag=shoppingmp11204-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B004S78IJG

The Dualit 75015 at £80 is the realistic top end of my budget, 10 grind settings and 150w motor.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dualit-75015-Coffee-Grinder-Black/dp/tech-data/B005VBNSJ8/ref=de_a_smtd

Can anyone shed any light on what to choose? I'm only going to be grinding a bit at a time, (a large Boden cafetiere at most) so I don't need a large hopper, but I guess the larger motor is better? Or just quicker?

Cheers ;)

Sub £100 electric grinders usually don't grind finely enough for espresso machines, if its for cafetiere they are usually adequate.

antdad said:
Sub £100 electric grinders usually don't grind finely enough for espresso machines, if its for cafetiere they are usually adequate.

Hmmmm, thats a concern.

The majority of it's use will be in Krups espresso machine, although it will also see use in a stovetop espresso maker as well as the cafetiere for my wife.

I've been having the same conversation with Audiolab but he drinks french press so it's less critical. I'm sure YorkNeil, Mikael, Slick, Pedro et all will all confirm it's a false economy skimping on a grinder. Save another 50 quid or so and go for the Gaggia MDF or Iberital MC2 which I think Neil was particularly enamored with.

If you're going to make espresso the models you mentioned really are not up to the job - no matter what the reviews say. Mikael will tell you to get a Mazzer and if you have the room and the budget they are among the best, but for the amount you are grinding the MDF is OK but the little Iberital MC2 would be my favourite. I use it's slightly larger brother to make around 500 coffees a week and it never misses a beat.
In my experience the choice of grinder is the difference between good coffee and great coffee.

All the best

Neil

Nope don't get a MC2 as you are wanting to change grind for different brewing methods and this is just a no go with the mc2.
A porlex hand grinder would do well if you don't mind some manual labour though if using it a lot be comes tiresome quick. I think your krupps might have a pressurised basket so you use a coarser grind and less picky on the grind. Plenty out there a bararzo preciso for example.

I'm a massive coffee lover but don't have my own machine of any kind. Been looking into it but there are so many things to consider, where to start!

Pedro, how is the porlex for espresso grinds? I fancy a grinder but I rarely need a high volume so don't need to spend a fortune on one if I can get away with a bit of manual labour.

I'd keep your eye out in junk/antique shops for a good hand grinder, look for a German made one with an adjustable grind - that's usually tucked away above the drawer but may be on top under the handle. A good one should be less than £30 and will last a lifetime - unlike electric ones :D

Krups one should be perfectly serviceable for your needs - I got one for a fiver from a charity shop and it can grind coffee fine enough to get a reasonable coffee from my Gaggia Tebe. The Gaggia MM is better and grinds finer though doesn't have the measuring dial etc. I've also lost the lid of the MM and so don't really use it any more. If you aren't doing lots per week and not even putting it through your Espresso machine every time then I wouldn't bother going crazy. Get a reasonable Burr grinder try it for a year see if you need anything better. You can always use it for spices if you upgrade.

pedro083 said:
Nope don't get a MC2 as you are wanting to change grind for different brewing methods and this is just a no go with the mc2.

Any decent grinder will have a variance in grind for different brewing methods. The MC2 copes more than adequately with it. If you found this wasn't the case I would suggest it was the particular grinder itself not the model per se.

brushfan said:
I'm a massive coffee lover but don't have my own machine of any kind. Been looking into it but there are so many things to consider, where to start!

Try reading around the forums at Coffeegeek and Wholelattelove. Like these forums you'll pick up a whole wealth of personal experience which will help you make an informed decision. I find the personal, rather than sponsored, review sections really useful. Youtube also has some very informative vid's.

All the best.

The grind adjustment on the MC2 is very fine so takes ages to change, it's less than convenient but fine for single setting.

Nope Neil it was just what antdad said having to spend ages having to spin that dial then all the bean wastage trying to get back to the espresso range after grinding some for French press

Boab said:
Pedro, how is the porlex for espresso grinds? I fancy a grinder but I rarely need a high volume so don't need to spend a fortune on one if I can get away with a bit of manual labour.

Aye the porlex will grind for a espresso no problems the one I used even went fine enough to choke the machine. Takes a couple of mins to grind a shot though

Thanks guys ;)

I'm quite set on an electric one I think, thanks for the suggestion of trawling secondhand shops, but that sounds a bit too much like shopping for me...!

I'll have a better look at the specs of the ones I've listed and do a bit more digging.

pedro083 said:
Nope Neil it was just what antdad said having to spend ages having to spin that dial then all the bean wastage trying to get back to the espresso range after grinding some for French press

Boab said:

Aye the porlex will grind for a espresso no problems the one I used even went fine enough to choke the machine. Takes a couple of mins to grind a shot though

I have a porlex mini, and I find it to be excellent. It will hold about 20g of beans. If you need to grind more, then the porlex tall grinder( I thnk its called), will hold nearer 30g?

I have been looking at grinders for too long, here are some my thoughts and collected info from various sources like Tony (Thanks) and also some forums.

Tony is spot on the money when he he says that if your preference is for French Press or Moka Pot coffee then I would go cheap(ish) with a grinder to start with. Ideally you want a cheap but decent burr grinder, something like the De'Loinghi KG79 at £34.99 or the Krups that is one up from that in price. Something that is not going to break the bank but allow you to try fresh ground and see if you "get into it". Going with the bladed grinders is pointless, they are better suited to food preparation than grinding coffee.

Manual grinders are something I didn't look at so can't really say much on them but by all accounts they do work.

The Dualit is quite expensive and sits in between the De'longhi and the Gaggia MDF in terms of price, it is twice the price of the De'Longhi's but doesn't have a doser like the Gaggia.

If you want to use it for a Machine like a Gaggia or pressurised machine then the grinder really does come into play. Getting a good even and fine grind for a pressurised feed of water you are looking at a Gaggia MDF with a doser, regardless of which one you go for you will be a good bit over the £100 mark unless you get one second hand.

I decided to take the same approach as I did to shaving and start small and cheap. I am going with a grinder without a doser as I don't have a machine and usually drink Moka or Cafetiere at the moment. One day I may buy a machine and at that point I will upgrade the grinder. Perhaps by then the prices will have shifted and different models will be available so here is no point in me buying a grinder with features that I am not going to use now.

The other option is going for a bean to cup machine, again more expensive but probably the best overall if you drink coffee regularly. If I do go for a machine and it is not bean to cup my plan would then be to leave the cheaper grinder set for press coffee and set up the more expensive one for the right level of grind that suits the machine and my taste.

It is all very personal and there is no absolute right and wrong. Some would say it is better to buy once and buy right (ie. go for the MDF grinder now) but from what I gather the settings are so incremental on many grinders that it would be a pain to use for both press and machine coffee. I am sure there are some exceptions but then you are into to serious investment for a bean grinder and maybe in the territory of bean to cup anyway.

The main difference in taste to my palette comes from grinding fresh. I have bought many kinds of coffee and the biggest difference comes from the ones that I got ground that day. Even the cheapest ones taste so much better when freshly ground.

I am staying with Press and Moka for now so I am going cheap and going to use the Tesco Finest and any other beans I can get locally. However if you already know you are going to get a machine in the future then get the best grinder you can afford or buy a bean to cup.

Check the forums and do have a good look round before jumping in, there is no rush.

Back
Top Bottom