Soap, Stick or Cream

I was unsure where to post this so please feel free to move.

Hi guys, not sure if this has bend asked before, but I would like to hear what is your preference shaving soap, stick or cream, and why you prefer it.

The reason I ask is so far I have only used cream, not sure about the other options, do looking to draw on the wealth of experience of you guys.

Each has merit. But you must try them yourself to determine your preferences. If you already use cream, get a couple of Palmolive sticks. Use one as intended and grate the other into small bowl to see how you get on with lathering as a soap. Total cost about £1.

I prefer soaps in general and sticks in particular. Soaps because I seem to get a better lather, and they last for ages, and sticks because they're extremely convenient. I prefer to face-lather, and while I do enjoy loading from a puck of soap, it's just so quick and easy to use a stick and they're great for travelling.

Fido's suggestion of Palmolive is a good one, they're cheap as chips and the performance is top notch.

Derbian said:
what is your preference shaving soap, stick or cream, and why you prefer it.

Hi there,

Seems to me that generally soaps work better than creams, especially when it comes to how slick the lather is. Cushion usually isn't an issue, but a cream with good slip is hard to find. I will use soaps over creams by a huge margin.

Sticks are handy but I'm not crazy about having to sometimes load my beard up for a minute or longer sometimes. The feeling of the stick on my face isn't so great, and I have a feeling the lather doesn't get as deep in the brush as it could. I am in the minority here.

Martin

I'm a soap man however I've just done a full week of sticks

Good, not better and not more convenient but good for the rotation

I mainly use soaps and sticks, but I grate sticks into a tin and load the brush from the tin, like a soap. In general I find soaps provide better protection, although creams can have stronger scents which is nice.

I use cream at home, my favourites are Palmolive and the one from Bodyshop,can't remember what it's called. I make my lather in a small bowl. When I'm travelling I use a Palmolive stick and face lather,it takes up less room in my washbag.

I use to be a soap only man, but since joining this here forum I have tried so many soaps. Most I never knew existed and the majority have been very good too. I have about 3 soaps and a couple of sticks to choose from so use these in rotation. It is fun to try as many of the soaps as you can, I was a bit cautious at first because of my sensitive skin but I have found myself to be in the company of professional shavers here who tend to recommend the good soaps and let it be known of the not so good.

Have fun! :D

All good.

Creams for the wide range of fragrances
Soaps for their performance
Sticks for their convenience

chris.hale said:
I prefer soaps in general and sticks in particular. Soaps because I seem to get a better lather, and they last for ages, and sticks because they're extremely convenient. I prefer to face-lather, and while I do enjoy loading from a puck of soap, it's just so quick and easy to use a stick and they're great for travelling.

Fido's suggestion of Palmolive is a good one, they're cheap as chips and the performance is top notch.

+1

Back
Top Bottom