Soap recommendation

Hi guys,

Been a long term wet-shaving advocate (comparatively) and having suffered alone for too long, decided to come onto a forum to discuss with like minded individuals.

My query is: I've had quite a few citrus soaps/creams (Truefitt & Hill Caribbean Limes, Taylor of Old Bond Street amongst others) and I am looking to buy one away from this ilk, I've used Proraso so was going to get their Sandalwood tube, but thought I'd ask for a few recommendations first, also looked at getting a Lavender one.

Any recommendations will be truly appreciated!

How hard is the tap water in your area? If it's on the softer side, or you have a water softener fitted, I'd suggest Mitchells Wool Fat (MWF) with the warning that it contains lanolin, to which some people can be mildly allergic. It can be used with hard water with the right brush and specific technique, but is probably better-suited to softer water. Otherwise, I'm a fan of Tabac, which polarises opinion thanks to its distinctive scent. I like it, but many can't stand it. It is, however, a superb latherer in all types of water and has a wide sweet spot in terms of the water content of the lather.

Proraso sandalwood soap is fine...I find the scent to be pleasantly subtle and it contains shea which I like and is as easy to lather as any other Proraso product.

MWF, D R Harris, Lea, Proraso Menthol and VITOS Super Extra Coconut are my recommendations.

D R Harris do a Lavender soap, i've not tried it, but Almond and Windsor are very nice.

Lea is pretty much like MWF but in a shave stick, with a subtle soapy scent. Lanolin, Tallow & Glycerin.

Proraso menthol, a very easy to lather soft soap, i normally use this one in the summer as it's nice and cooling.

VITOS is a soft soap like Proraso, very slick, almond scent with a similar after shave face feeling to MWF & lea. I prefered this to Cella which is very similar.

If you like Lavender and a thick cream is OK for you then you could do far worse than Castle Forbes Lavender. A really amazing cream, very easy to whip into a great lather and smells better than other Lavenders (not sure why but I rarely like lavender however I like this)

Back
Top Bottom