Snuff

I first tried it when I was six or seven - didn't like it! Grandad got hell but we were good chums after that. He always used a red hanky with white spots - well, when clean they had white spots. He was a sniper with The Tigers in WWI so couldn't smoke, so he said. I'm amazed people still use it - that it's available, even.

Hiya,

Talking about only the very fine ground snuff that's snorted, I have a few questions. So what's the benefit of doing a line of snuff? What sorta buzz does it give, if any? Physically, what goes on when the snuff shoots up your schnoze? Is it a good feeling? Do you see colors?

Over the years I've ingested tobacco items in many different ways.....cigs, pipes, cigars, hookah, chew, and more. Best possible way to use tobacco is in a chillum, mixed with some good Afghani black hash. Good for glaucoma prevention too.

However, the idea of snorting a tobacco powder......I just don't get why I wanna do that. Maybe y'all can tell me about the wonderfulness involved.

Also, is there some occasional spitting with snorting snuff? Or, if you sneeze after snarfing, do big oysters of phlegm rise up and then need to be gotten rid of? If so, do you guys walk around with something to discreetly spit em into?

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Martin

You don't snort it, you lightly sniff it. Just enough to get it into the front of the nose - not the throat.

The mucus membranes in the nose are very thin, so the nicotine gets into your system quickly.

Not the sort of woozy, fuzzy-headed feeling you'd get from a bowl full of Virginia like Dunhill Royal Yacht, more a clear-headed buzz for a few seconds.

just stumbled upon this thread and found it fascinating. ive never tried it, and ive been stopped smoking for about 9 years, is it as addictive as cigarettes? is it easy to use every now and again and not have cravings for it?

joe mcclaine said:
You don't snort it, you lightly sniff it. Just enough to get it into the front of the nose - not the throat.

The mucus membranes in the nose are very thin, so the nicotine gets into your system quickly.

Not the sort of woozy, fuzzy-headed feeling you'd get from a bowl full of Virginia like Dunhill Royal Yacht, more a clear-headed buzz for a few seconds.

Thanks Vinnie,

So I'm guessing what I heard about climaxing when you sneeze isn't true then.

I still don't get why you'd wanna sniff this stuff unless you had to. Seems odd. I mean jeeez, it can't smell or taste very good.

Dodgy it bad form to sneeze. Think of it as a delivery system for nicotine. Faster than the other intakes.
Ps(believe the sneeze at our age would make us tinkle, not climax.)

Also I believe it comes flavored for the younger and older sets.

dodgy said:
I mean jeeez, it can't smell or taste very good.

One of my favourites is Princes Special by Fribourg & Treyer. It smells of Rose, Sandalwood, Musk, Geranium and Bourbon.

I notice that on the tins there are heath warnings - This stuff will kill you stone dead - or words to that effect. However, a gentle sniff, breaking down the mucus membrane and then blowing it out into a handkerchief do not sound any more dangerous than swatting a fly. What is the health deal?

Re: RE: Snuff

Bechet45 said:
I notice that on the tins there are heath warnings - This stuff will kill you stone dead - or words to that effect. However, a gentle sniff, breaking down the mucus membrane and then blowing it out into a handkerchief do not sound any more dangerous than swatting a fly. What is the health deal?

As you suggested bechet your nasal membrane eventually gets annihilated, similar to over use of Vicks stick inhaler (they hide that one pretty good) and once depleted your more susceptible to colds. Cilia in the membrane, similar to the cilia in the throat act as barrier; snuff kills these. Worst of all and I'm starting to sound like a broken record, it's just another delivery mechanism for nicotine. Hey I gave up smoking for my 30th birthday its been 20 days (pure willpower) got frustrated at the healthy smoking alternatives being provided. On a lighter note who am I to judge what another enjoys

Rather weirdly, I find myself drawn to this habit so I'm trying to put myself off it before I take the first addicting huff. I was lighting eighty cigarettes a day when I stopped twenty odd years ago. This snuff thread has triggered the first craving - mild though it is - I've felt in twenty years.

80 a day! I smoke probably 15-20 a day and would ideally like to give up at some point for health reasons. I have one of those e-cig things which are pretty good to be fair and are very much like actually smoking. I find that a pinch of snuff satisfies the urge to smoke for a while so may (or may not) be an option along with the e-cigs for me when I actually do try to give up...

Bechet45 said:

You will/could get cancer.

still don't get why you'd wanna sniff this stuff unless you had to. Seems odd. I mean jeeez, it can't smell or taste very good.

I'm guessing it must just appeal to some peeps, Mort, after all, the above paste from your post is pretty much exactly my own feeling about smoking tobacco. Not, I hasten to add, that I'm one of those who seems to view the personal use of nicotine as right up there with mass murder. But then, I don't eat 5 "portions" of fruit & veggies per day either. Talk about living dangerously ...

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Steve27752 said:
Bechet45 said:
What is the health deal?

You will/could get cancer.

As could anybody and everybody including babies. By what means does snuff increase your chances of cancer and by how much. I'm much surprised to have up-to-date stats for snuff takers let alone with a population of meaningful size.

I know a lot of snuff takers died in WWI but that was mainly from German lead and steel - or British if they took snuff as well. Poverty killed a fair few and I wonder if that skews modern figures, too.

As you may be able to tell, I distrust bald, unsupported assertions and stats.

Re: RE: Moderation

The only certainty in life is that one day we will all die, now is the time for living.

Bechet with your new Netflix and snuff I'm guessing the rebel is wanting to break free, the next post may detail a batch of mushrooms and heavy metal ;-)

Back
Top Bottom