slow cookers

Just got home with the ingredients for the apple-glazed ribs. Unfortunately it's too late to have them for dinner tonight, because of the cooking time, but the'll be on my dinner plate tomorrow night. I'll let you know what I think after dinner tomorrow, but I'm already liking them because they're very easy to make. SWMBO's away on a business trip so I'll be the judge and jury all in one.

It's more what we'd refer to as apple purée - the term apple sauce is the American type in this instance (at least that's what I've been told on a barbecuing forum). That said, I'd imagine you'll get away with it - cooking for that length of time should render it smooth and you'll just have a bit more sugar in the finished dish.

Another thing I like to do is cook Tagines. This is another slow cooking method but usually around 3 hours or so max. I have a couple of tagine recipe books which are great and the recipes also transfer to the conventional slow cooker.

Rufus said:
Just got home with the ingredients for the apple-glazed ribs. Unfortunately it's too late to have them for dinner tonight, because of the cooking time, but the'll be on my dinner plate tomorrow night. I'll let you know what I think after dinner tomorrow, but I'm already liking them because they're very easy to make. SWMBO's away on a business trip so I'll be the judge and jury all in one.

Had them last night and they were delicious. Used unsweetened apple sauce, but next time I'll use the sweetened variety to see if there's a difference. This is about the easiest slow cooker recipe I've come across; completely idiot proof so it works well for me.

We had ours on the go today. Fun thing was we kept getting a wiff in the kitchen of something burning, a sort of almost electric fire. We checked everything and nothing was wrong. Then when SWMBO took the glazed bowl out of the slow cooker we discovered a plastic Tupperware lid in the bottom metal part of the Slow cooker, somewhat molten.

We have been using slow cookers for years, when my wife was no longer a stay at home mum, we were both working so we (mainly my wife) would load up the slow cooker with meat, veggies and water, chuck in a stock cube and thicken in the evening.
Nothing more adventurous than that. Maybe put in meat balls or sausages.
Chicken and bacon casserole tastes lovely, but both the chicken and bacon tend to break down more than other meats so it ends up like a really thick broth.

But the chocolate cake recipe sounds like one I need to investigate.

Rufus said:
Rufus said:

Had them last night and they were delicious. Used unsweetened apple sauce, but next time I'll use the sweetened variety to see if there's a difference. This is about the easiest slow cooker recipe I've come across; completely idiot proof so it works well for me.

I cooked pork baby back ribs, but there are bigger pork ribs. What pork ribs do you chaps cook?

balidey said:
We have been using slow cookers for years, when my wife was no longer a stay at home mum, we were both working so we (mainly my wife) would load up the slow cooker with meat, veggies and water, chuck in a stock cube and thicken in the evening.
Nothing more adventurous than that. Maybe put in meat balls or sausages.
Chicken and bacon casserole tastes lovely, but both the chicken and bacon tend to break down more than other meats so it ends up like a really thick broth.

But the chocolate cake recipe sounds like one I need to investigate.

We have a beef stew in the slow cooker right now for tomorrow's dinner. It's very simple: 3lb beef, 6 carrots, 3 parsnips, 1lb of Swede, 2 onions, half a bottle of red wine, 1 tin of stewed tomatoes, 1 tin of tomato paste, a bit of Bisto and a liberal lashing of Worcestershire sauce. How simple is that?

I'd love a BGE - but more as a low-and-slow BBQ than a slow cooker. In terms of ribs, roasts, etc. the results from the BGE would be in a different league to slow cooked food. However, you've got a lot more faff so there's the trade off.

I have a Sage Multicooker (now called Risotto Plus) that has a few different modes of cooking. I like it, but wouldn't pay the £99 they cost new (mine is a manufacturer refurb that I got for £35). I would recommend one that has a sauté function built in to it - then you can truly one-pot cook and don't lose any of the flavour from the browning process.

Back
Top Bottom