Slim adjustment problem - SOLVED!

I picked up a "67 slim last weekend and it's in superb condition except the adjustment dial is jammed.
fp7wn.jpg

I spent a day soaking it in hot water and detergent and that freed it up a bit, it turns between 1 and 3 so then I tried soaking in baby oil. It's been soaking for two days now and it's no better, I'll give it another day but I'm not hopeful.

The silo doors work perfectly and the adjust turns easily and smoothly with a good positive click between 1 and 3 and then stops. Everything is straight and in good condition, no signs of abuse so I'm guessing it's just crud gumming things up, maybe just a big lump of limescale/soap/hair. So what to try next? I REALLY don't want to try taking it apart!

So how about kettle descaler, WD40 or Cif bathroom mousse? Are any of these likely to help without doing damage? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

RE: Slim adjustment problem.

Unusual, I haven't owned a slim for ages but it looks to my eye that your slim has been "over-adjusted", try depressing the little red ratchet stop while undoing the adjustment collar until it sits in a range where you have full adjustment from 0-9. You can then tweak it from there either by looking at the blade gap or using it.

If it really is crud then you're best sticking it in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Sounds like over-adjusting to me as well, though (unlike Tony) I can't comment on what to try because I haven't got any experience of having to do so with my Slim.

You're a genius! Actually I had tried resetting the adjustment collar before and couldn't get it move very far but this time it seems to have worked! At least it's moving the full range now, I'll have to wait and see if it's adjusting properly. Thanks!

You have to adjust it by a little trial and error.

Unwind it completely (with knob depressed) there should be a gap (between collar and stem) then add one full rotation (with knob depressed) to setting 1. That should be about it, that works with my fatboy anyway.

I find that setting will only just take off your arm hair.

Thanks for all your help, looks like I may have a more serious problem, I think the adjustment plate is seized.

Let me just check first, you have the bottom plate below the silo doors right? Then below that you have the adjustment plate that has four prongs that stick up through the bottom plate, have I got this right?

If I understand correctly with the adjustment set to one you should be able to move the adjustment plate with your fingers - mine won't budge. There's no corrosion or dirt jamming it at the baseplate so whatever is wrong must be inside the handle. I guess it could still be dirt/limescale though.

OK update! It doesn't seem to be past saving. After some fiddling I managed to turn the adjuster so that it forced the adjuster plate up, it was extremely stiff. When turning the adjuster back to one the adjuster plate stayed in it's raised #9 position. I managed to prise it back down with a screwdriver gently inserted between the bottom plate and the adjuster plate. After a few cycles like that it now moves a little easier but it's not free enough to move back on it's own. More soaking is required I guess.

Have you unwound the adjustment dial completely as I said in #5. If you did you'd know for sure if the bottom plate is free to move because there would actually be a gap between it and the adj collar and it would rattle.

The bottom plate (with the four tabs) sits on the adjustment dial and should also be free to move if the silo doors are open not closed.

Do all your adjusting with the doors open, it's easier.

Yeah I've got the bottom plate moving as it should but it's too stiff to move back with just the pressure of the spring. I can move it with my fingers though so it is freeing up.

I just gave it a try with an Israeli Personna set to 4 and I'm very pleased with it. Feels great in the hand, good balance and weight and a very nice shave. I just need to give it a good polish now! :D

A combination of being gummed up and my ignorance of the design I think. It was jammed solid to begin with but once I got it moving it freed up pretty quickly. Then when I discovered there was an extra 1/4 turn to the door closing mechanism which tensioned the spring everything worked as it should.

One more question though, should I lubricate the mechanism? Views seem to be mixed, I've found some posts saying lubricate with a drop of mineral oil but others say that will just attract dirt and gum everything up again.

i have had no problems with my slim or fatboy, but both are in my regular rotation, so i expect the constant new soap & rinsing regularly keeps their mechanisms free of problems - i would suspect one that is not used for ages might run the chance of starting to seize up? just a thought.

rick.

BazC said:
A combination of being gummed up and my ignorance of the design I think. It was jammed solid to begin with but once I got it moving it freed up pretty quickly. Then when I discovered there was an extra 1/4 turn to the door closing mechanism which tensioned the spring everything worked as it should.

One more question though, should I lubricate the mechanism? Views seem to be mixed, I've found some posts saying lubricate with a drop of mineral oil but others say that will just attract dirt and gum everything up again.

I'd say give it some lube :icon_razz:

When I had mine replated a few months ago, the mechanism was a little bit stiff. A couple of drops of Wahl clipper oil (basic mineral oil) down the top, left a day, then the same in the bottom, soon freed it up.
You will presumably be cleaning it from time to time to remove soap residue etc, so I can't really see a tiny amount of mineral oil is going to attract a significant amount of extra crap in that time.

Back
Top Bottom