slickest U.K available soap

Which is the slickest available soap I can pick up here in the U.K? Also does adding Glycerin to a soap lather help make it slicker?

I dabbled with addjng glycerin at one point, I beleive I got good results but it just phased out.
As for slickest, thats a matter of opinion, mine would be mwf or Wickhams.

I've not tried adding glycerine but often use a glycerin lime pre-shave soap which helps make things slicker. As for slick soaps, I'd recommend MWF as well and a Tabac stick.

Wickhams
Phoenix & Beau
Razor Master
OSP
MWF
Haslingers
Tabula Rasa
Tcheon Fung Sing

Slickest soaps I have, especially the top four, which offer the best post shave feel as well. I suggest if you really want slick, XPec cream is top dog I reckon.

I've used glycerin as well. It turns Palmolive into a fantastic soap, Arko even better. I would only add it to soaps that I feel are a bit drying on their own. Forgot Tabac as well, it's just fannytastic!

I own 4 of your top 5 Gordy. I haven't tried Razor Master yet though. I've just shaved with Sanskrit. It was OK. MWF seems to be the best at the mo for me. With all it's foibles it is a top soap. I'm gonna try a bit of glycerin in my soaps from now on. see how it goes.

How are you lathering it Nick? Mine with Sanskrit was a bit of a failure tonight
I load a damp brush with the pot hanging over my TSR bowl so that it catches any pre lather that falls from the tub. I load for about 30-40 seconds max, fairly heavily. I then build the lather with the water already in the brush until it is thick and elastic. At this point I add water slowly and whip as before, side to side at first, swirling after most of it has been expelled from the brush. I repeat until the lather is spot on, resulting in:

upload_2016-4-6_18-22-14.png

Hiya Wayne I would suggest over hydrating a test lather with a chosen soap. This way you know how much water you can incorporate (obviously below over hydration) with said soap in your lather. It's the water content that will improve the slickness and it may be that what's lacking. Well before you buy another soap at least.
I would suggest using a pre shave oil as well if you want uber slickness. Other than that a steam room session for 20mins will reduce the slickness required.

With a straight razor I need loads of slickness. My go to is from the US though.

Most soaps are quite slick enough so it sounds like an issue of technique, adequate loading, hydration etc.

You could try a super lather by adding a bit of shaving cream to the mix, there's your glycerin.

Hiya Wayne I would suggest over hydrating a test lather with a chosen soap. This way you know how much water you can incorporate (obviously below over hydration) with said soap in your lather. It's the water content that will improve the slickness and it may be that what's lacking. Well before you buy another soap at least.
I would suggest using a pre shave oil as well if you want uber slickness. Other than that a steam room session for 20mins will reduce the slickness required.

With a straight razor I need loads of slickness. My go to is from the US though.
Curious what your go to soap is.

Back
Top Bottom