Sky TV - Well done.

Phoned Sky on Friday to say that the signal which has been between pretty poor since the start of November was totally gone. They ran through a few tests on the phone and a said that an engineer could call Sunday!

The engineer was efficient taking about 20 mins to change the dish then decide that the sky+ box was a bit iffy too and replace it for a reconditioned one.

All included in the call out fee of £65, bargain!

Just deciding whether its worth upgrading to HD now.

Did he replace the cable? If not you might well be seeing him again quite quickly... most "dish faults" are related to water ingress in the cable around the plug on the LNB (and thanks to the tubular design of the cheap CT100 cable that Sky use, that water can travel for tens of metres inside the cable - to the extent I've seen it dripping out at the back of the box inside the house)

Nope but the signal strength and quality are top notch now as opposed to crap before. I asked about the cabling but he said it was fine, the dish was very old but it may even have been the box the whole time!

We still have the same dish that was put up when we moved into our house in September 2003 and it is looking a bit rusty, but still seems to perform okay.

The cavity wall insulation people knocked it out of line recently and the engineer who came around sucked his teeth when he saw it, but I am keeping my hand in my pocket for the time being :)

I have to say that in neither case did Sky send an engineer... they sent an installer or a technician... well I'm assuming he wasn't driving a steam locomotive (and I know they don't pay the ladder monkeys enough for those with engineering qualifications to apply).

Spot the bitter bloke that did 6 years of Engineering qualifications.

True no engine was involved, but he was a slightly bitter man from Edinburgh who seemed to know what he was doing and was able to do it quickly.:mrgreen:

moodymick said:
We upgraded to HD last night and went for the DIY option, this is I believe just a case of swapping boxes. Anyone know if they throw in a HDMI cable?

We switched 13 months ago and I am sure they included a HDMI cable in the box.

moodymick said:
We upgraded to HD last night and went for the DIY option, this is I believe just a case of swapping boxes. Anyone know if they throw in a HDMI cable?

Think the HDMI cable is in the box. I am presuming you have Sky+ at the moment. If so you just swop the box, make sure the phone line is connected and then phone Sky to get the viewing card registered to get the HD content. And then start paying the extra £10.00pm .............. :shock:
If you don't have Sky+ you will need 2 inputs, this means a re-cable and new LNB.
Think you will enjoy your HD box when you get it though.

moodymick said:
Yep we have Sky+ at the moment. I was hoping not to have to connect the box to the phone, even just for set up. :|
If you don't pair the box and card a lot of the functions will not work inc the HD function. Sky (or a sky "engineer") will have to do that, they can do it without connecting the phone but it can take a few hours or a few mins...........my mates took 3 hours before it would work.........just tell sky it is no where near the phone line.......worked for my m8..... ;)

Back
Top Bottom