Single Malts

Tesco seem to have some fairly heavily discounted singles to my untrained eye...til Fathers day only.

Scroll through...

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/buylist/default.aspx?Name=CM+Beer+%26+Spirits

I will always remember the look on the brewers face when my aunty asked the guy if he had some Irn-Bru for the generous taster he poured for a pretty woman. She was married at that time but if not she would not have been in with any chance of pulling that guy.

My dad is really a blended man at heart but he does enjoy the odd snifter f single malt and those are some good prices, might just pop in on the way up today. Any recommendations?

If he really prefers blended...they have the Jameson (+ Select Reserve) but only a fiver off, Glenfiddich 12yo for £20 is a fairly safe unassuming single (ie non-peaty) other than that I don't know enough about singles to advise, somebody will be along.

They have a guide though...

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/ProductBuylist/default.aspx?id=G00000625

I've never heard this from adults before...I was in Tesco last night and a couple of young women were pondering over a bottle of vodka..."What does 70 cl mean?" the other replied "70 shots innit"....brilliant.

Audiolab said:
My dad is really a blended man at heart but he does enjoy the odd snifter f single malt and those are some good prices, might just pop in on the way up today. Any recommendations?

Tough to recommend any really.

There are 'crisp and fruity' Speysides and 'oily and smokey' Islays with everything in between.

My favourite malts are Lagavulin, Talisker and Ardbeg but I'd take Johnnie Walker black over any of those all day long.

The Highland park is a lovely whisky, vanilla fudge nose, with no real smokey peatiness.
Same goes for the Glenmorangie.
The isle of jura is another classic with a little sea spray saltiness and mild peat. The jura superstition is even better.
Laphroaig is pure peat, I love it, but it smells like ashtrays and tastes like mud. Definitely a marmite whisky.

If you don't mind leaving Scotland, that irish whisky Tullamore Dew is another easy drinking, smooth vanilla whisky.

Slante va!
(Gallic for "your health" or cheers)

joe mcclaine said:
My favourite malts are Lagavulin, Talisker and Ardbeg but I'd take Johnnie Walker black over any of those all day long.

That's no coincidence, look who owns the singles that probably go to make up JWB.

http://www.diageo.com/en-sc/ourbrands/categories/spirits/pages/whiskey.aspx

antdad said:
I've never heard this from adults before...I was in Tesco last night and a couple of young women were pondering over a bottle of vodka..."What does 70 cl mean?" the other replied "70 shots innit"....brilliant.

for feck sake, pmsl !! :icon_lol::icon_lol:

it's funny but very sad really...

i had four bottles of the below that i got at my old job around 1997/98, it was a freight shipment that had been damaged in transit and the insurers had decided that it was a total loss, however there were a couple of boxes of this left over that only had some staining on the bottle boxes so it was shared out between our team at christmas

i have three of the four bottles left, one was enjoyed last christmas between my dad and i ....very very nice :angel:

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-18760.aspx
kadob.1980v1.jpg

Of those on offer, I'd opt for 10 yo Glenmorangie (by all accounts the Lasanta isn't very good, and, IMO, standard 'Morangie is pretty sublime), Glen Moray (unfashionable but lovely biscuity, honeyed and rounded) and Aberlour 10 yo which is a big, sherried, fruity malt. In fact, I think Aberlour is my joint-favourite distillery along with St. George's (English Whisky Co.) which is just up the road from me. Thanks to my budget I haven't tried a huge variety of single malts, but I (well dad and me actually) had a bottle of cask-strength Aberlour A'bunadh the other year which was just mind-blowingly complex and intense, yet not in the slightest bit harsh or hot (hot whisky is usually a sign of rushed distillation or taking too much of the foreshots and feints rather than just the heart of the run).

Back
Top Bottom