Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic badger

Evening gents, another bit of blatant enabling :blush:

Simpson's have released the first run of 50, I believe, of these brushes in pretty colours on their website, in the Limited edition section. I will say they're not cheap, £75, after UK postage and VAT there's not much change from £100. The mainstream run of standard Simpson's ivory will be £65 if you want to wait.

Me, I have a Cobalt one coming my way. :angel:

Scott.

They have been talking about for quite a while over on the ShaveNook, looks like a nice brush.
http://shavenook.com/thread-simpson-chubby-2-synthetic-when-mark-when?page=2

I'm waiting to hear some reviews also. Seems a bit pricey in respect to other synthetics.
This review indicated that the knot had Gen-4 fibres, but the info today from Simpsons says they're Gen-5 fibres. If that is true, then the prototype brushes won't have the same performance as the retail brushes.

I'll be waiting until the standard handle is available (far easier to pass unoticed on the shaving shelf if it has the same colour handle as all the others that pass through...) even though the Jade and Amber look amazing.

re: 4th / 5th generation fibres - I'm sure it all depends on whether you're buying or selling :icon_wink:

Not only do none of the limited edition brushes do it for me, I cannot believe that the prices on the website do not include VAT! I appreciate that some people might be ordering from overseas, but it's misleading to UK customers.

chris.hale said:
Not only do none of the limited edition brushes do it for me, I cannot believe that the prices on the website do not include VAT! I appreciate that some people might be ordering from overseas, but it's misleading to UK customers.

Yep, it's a killer. I remember going to buy a LE Duke first time I visited their site all thrilled with myself.. then the VAT popped up and my bubble was burst.

I am starting to feel rather unsettled about purchasing the LE synthetic chubby. I don't need it and it's overpriced.

Dipesh said:
Blimey. £90 for a synthetic.

It's worse than that it's pence change out of a ton! I still want one, though! If you wait until the main stream run then I suspect the usual suppliers will get them in stock and from what I have noticed is that the suppliers price is the same as the Simpson base price but inclusive of VAT, and depending on the site you may even get free postage. Which makes them 20 - 30% cheaper than buying direct. If you want one don't care about the LE ones, it may pay to wait.

Scott.

Dipesh said:
Does anyone know if these synth knots are hand tied? I'm trying to justify the price!

Ooh I dunno! I just assumed all Simpson's knots were hand tied by those ladies on their YouTube clip. May well be worth asking the owner, he seems to be pretty approachable on various social media.

I'll wait until the regular ones come out and see how much Executive Shaving et al are knocking them out for. I'd go up to about £75 I think but after that I'll stick with my Muhle, or get a real silver tip from Fido.

p.b said:
I'll be waiting until the standard handle is available (far easier to pass unoticed on the shaving shelf if it has the same colour handle as all the others that pass through...) even though the Jade and Amber look amazing.

re: 4th / 5th generation fibres - I'm sure it all depends on whether you're buying or selling :icon_wink:

http://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_SYNTHCH2JADE

One thing is for sure. There is no such thing as a Fifth Generation synthetic fiber. Why? Because I personally invented the Generation system and classed this in with the Generation 4 fibers which it is. This brush uses Generation 4 fibers. I predicted a marketing foist would occur way back in this article written last year concerning marketers and producers hijacking the convention system made by and for the user community.

I do not mind advertising and companies selling product, but there are ethical limits to what companies should do. Companies should be able to conduct business and make a profit while allowing the consumers their free space to evaluate products.

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-22793.html

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-23328.html

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-23389.html

I just don't get the £100 price point either - £9.54 of the price is for delivery.

I can't believe that it is cheaper to ship a brush from a manufacturer in Germany than it is to post one from the Isle of Man.

The Isle if Man post office postal calculator would suggest that postage charges are on a par with those offered by Royal Mail.

It all seems rather expensive for a synthetic knotted brush. :(

MMmmmm, much though I like the idea I'm thinking that £100 for something that will perform in a very similar way to my Frank Shaving Pur-Tech may be an expense too far....

Back
Top Bottom