Sichuan Cuisine

Both, so many nice restaurants in London! The best recipes can be found in the books by Fuchsia Dunlop, she is also the food consultant for three of restaurants in London. It does take some time, practice and several trips to China Town before you are ready to start cooking at home but it's worth it!

I like szechuan food, although I found in Chengdu, it was hotter than most of what we get in the restaurants/takeaways here. In fact, none of the food I ate in China tasted like what we get here. Ours tends to be much sweeter and stickier.
I made sweet and sour pork on Sunday, from an internet recipe that claimed to be proper Chinese, and not Westernised....I was surprised therefore to find tomato sauce and worcester sauce in the ingredients. It tasted good, very like what we get here. Actually, I never came across sweet and sour anything in Tibet/China. That's not to say it wasn't on the menu; totally unable to read the menus, whatever arrived was generally a surprise.:icon_lol:

MaleGroomingNews.com said:
Both, so many nice restaurants in London! The best recipes can be found in the books by Fuchsia Dunlop, she is also the food consultant for three of restaurants in London. It does take some time, practice and several trips to China Town before you are ready to start cooking at home but it's worth it!

Thanks for the heads-up on the Dunlop books!

I'll take your word for it Antdad, there's certainly something peppery about it. Actually for the short time I was in Chengdu, I have to admit I also had a pizza. By that time I'ld lived for nearly 5 months without coffee, mashed potato, bacon.....generally food as we know it, the lure of pizza was too strong to resist. When I and my fellow English teacher found porridge in the supermarket (back in Yushu), our joy knew no bounds. Just to see food that was familiar. Towards the end of my stay in Tibet, I found crisps in the supermarket, but half of the packets had burst; due to the altitude. When I located potatoes I had to boil them forever to get nearly soft, presumably due to lower temperature of boiling water at altitude - but I did eventually get proper mash. Now that may be the best meal I had in the whole 6 months.:) Although I absolutely loved the food there, and still salivate when I think about it.

Back
Top Bottom