Should I buy a Merkur?

I've got a number of Gillette razors and a mix of some others now but I was wondering If it is worth trying Merkur.
I've got
FlareTip Rocket
40ss Superspeed my default
old type
Aluminium handle Tech
Slim Adjustable

I can't seem to get a bbs shave from a multi piece razor and I would really like to. I can get a good shave if I have three or more days of growth
I liked the look of the Merkur bakelite that lac1 was selling but they were gone by the time I was payed. I think they might be a bit to lite for me.
Should I buy a Merkur or some more super thin blades?

Yeah I'd buy one. The HD / 34C the best performing razor I own, with the right blade a BBS result is very easily achievable. In fact you have to be a little bit careful not to overdo it and nick yourself, it's weighty and far more aggressive than a tech or a SS for example. The only other razor I own that is comparable is the Edwin Jagger.
Pick up that one on BST, it's a good price.

If you're looking to try something different, Merkur's Futur (adjustable) is worth a punt. Chunky, weighty, well-constructed -- fantastic razor.

HD's worth a look, too.

On second thought, just buy both.

Well i'm pretty new to DE shaving only four months, even though I have been a wet shaver all my life, I have a Merkur 34C HD, I cannot speak highly enough about this razor and the quality shave I get, so impressed am I with a DE shave I am now going to get the razor I wanted first of all the Merkur Futur, but wasn't quite sure how I would get on with a DE shave so went for the cheaper 34C, I love the contemporary look and design of the Futur, so I will be getting one within the next week or so.

Jamie.

lexx said:
I can't seem to get a bbs shave from a multi piece razor and I would really like to.

I'd try and get my mits on a Gillette New Improved or Gillette New in that case then... They both have a blade gap (where the "old" doesn't) and an open comb (where the ultra mild tech doesn't)... Even a "New" head for your fat handled tech handle... or try a Merkur (I haven't felt the need to though)

I've only handled a bakelite, never shaved with one, but even handling wise they're not remotely comparable... the bakelite is (as you'd expect) ultra light, just a few grams. Got a fair bite to it I believe, I think the blade gap is comparable to the other Merkurs like the HD... Superspeeds, as you know, have a tiny and mild gap. Might be worth trying if your heart is set on them, but IMO it's a niche model designed for travel, the owners here might disagree with me but it's pretty much just a plastic razor. A novelty maybe, but not something I'd want to own and admire.

I'd still go with a heavier, better quality Merkur that does the cutting for you.

Oh yes,
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6993&p=100091#p100091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6993&p=100091#p100091</a><!-- l -->

+1 for the NEW but If BBS is your goal and I'm not saying it should be, au contraire. Stick with the slim adjustable you have, start on a medium setting and increase for closer that should give you the results you desire.

Does it make much difference to you that the razor is multi piece rather than single?

Canuck said:
I've only handled a bakelite, never shaved with one, but even handling wise they're not remotely comparable... the bakelite is (as you'd expect) ultra light, just a few grams. Got a fair bite to it I believe, I think the blade gap is comparable to the other Merkurs like the HD... Superspeeds, as you know, have a tiny and mild gap. Might be worth trying if your heart is set on them, but IMO it's a niche model designed for travel, the owners here might disagree with me but it's pretty much just a plastic razor. A novelty maybe, but not something I'd want to own and admire.

I'd still go with a heavier, better quality Merkur that does the cutting for you.

You say that but it's a very effective razor in my opinion. Give it a go, it may surprise you. I was a bit sceptical at first, but it provides a really nice shave, easily on a par with the HD with regards to how effective it is.

I posted my thoughts on it here.

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=6410&start=20#p94826

Very different experience shaving with this razor. It's very light (15 grams loaded) and as such you can't let the razor do the work. It also flexes the blade more than any other razor that I've come across.

It provided a great shave, smooth and with no irritation. I had a few days growth and managed to remove it no problem. In fact the first pass on my cheek seemed more effective than the first pass with other razors. All in all, very impressed that such a light weight razor performed so admirably. Seems to go against what I've read before. Maybe the lack of any heft makes you more receptive to how much blade is coming in contact with the face. Early days but so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom