Shaving the Napper

Folks, I am after some advice (there's a shock). I am partial to shaving my napper, but since I began DE shaving of my coupon, I have not dared venture above the ears with a blade. I was relatively happy with the results of a cartridge on the napper, but then I was also relatively happy using one on the coupon. Now that I have seen the light I am loth to go back to using a cartridge for anything.
So, now that i have a couple of months experience DE shaving, how best to approach the cranium with a DE?
I have a large and rather lumpy head, if that helps :D :D

Gingerpose said:
So, now that i have a couple of months experience DE shaving, how best to approach the cranium with a DE?

What works for me: A previously face-shaved blade in a modest razor (like a 50s Rocket). Clipper it down to a manageable length... then lather up and go for it. Take your time and after the first round, relather and shave the stragglers "by Braille".

At the end of the day it's substantially easier than unhooking a bra (on a lovely lady) whilst simultaneously unsighted, in the throes of passion and one-handed.

The etymology of the word is shrouded in history, but the one that appeals most to me is this:

It was usual around the Glasgow area for bus and tram tickets to be called coupons, especially if they allowed for multiple journeys. Each time a journey was made, the coupon had a hole punched in it by the conductor (aka clippy). The next most common thing to get "punched" around Glasgow was someones face. Hence coupon and face became synonymous.

hunnymonster said:
The etymology of the word is shrouded in history, but the one that appeals most to me is this:

It was usual around the Glasgow area for bus and tram tickets to be called coupons, especially if they allowed for multiple journeys. Each time a journey was made, the coupon had a hole punched in it by the conductor (aka clippy). The next most common thing to get "punched" around Glasgow was someones face. Hence coupon and face became synonymous.

:D my origin has been uncovered :D

hunnymonster said:

That's brilliant. I never knew that!

I'm on the boat just now and the internet is too slow for video, but that guy is using a Merkur Future on his head. Kudos.

Gingerpose said:
Folks, I am after some advice (there's a shock). I am partial to shaving my napper, but since I began DE shaving of my coupon, I have not dared venture above the ears with a blade. I was relatively happy with the results of a cartridge on the napper, but then I was also relatively happy using one on the coupon. Now that I have seen the light I am loth to go back to using a cartridge for anything.

Don't turn your back on cartridges - for head shaves at least and offset the cost of cartridges against a monthly visit to a barber.

Anyway, I have been shaving mine for well over 20 years now - long before it became popular and have used cartridges, disposables, DEs and straights . . . even bloody Imac!

The skin and hair on the head is different to the skin and hair on your face so you can . . . in fact, probably should treat them differently.

Don't beat yourself up. There's no rules. Use whatever you like - it's your 'ead.

I've worked with a lot of US military guys and they (particularly the afro caribbean troops) shave their heads a lot. Most like to use a gadget specifically designed for shaving one's swede, it's called a headblade and they sell it in their BX shops although I gather you can get them on ebay and amazon etc. It fits in your palm, hooked on to your finger so the action of shaving is like that you do with your hand if you imagined smoothing your hair back. Apparently it's very quick and safe, easy to use on a daily basis.

Plenty (including Joe) get away with a standard cartridge and handle so it's not to say you need a headblade, but it's something that you might want to consider. For some reason they're fairly unheard of here in the UK still.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.headblade.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.headblade.com/</a><!-- m -->

Back
Top Bottom